Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
    Baseball should be ashamed of itself.
    Baseball owners clearly lost the ability to feel shame a very long time ago. If they ever had it.

We go to Round Rock about once a year to watch a AAA game. It is a huge thing for the community up there. While Round Rock will continue, I can't image the heartbreak it would cause to communities where baseball doesn't survive.

Way to grow the next generations of fans, dumbasses.

Comment

Come on guys. Baseball is a business and we are the consumer. I assume they were cut because the profitability was non-existant. I'm sure they examined the short and long term costs. While it is unfortunate that this cost the loss of jobs and entertainment that people enjoyed, why should the cutting of this business be any different than the cutting of other businesses.

Brian, I feel for stadiums like yours more than most, because I am sure it was no small investment to modernize the stadium, and it wouldn't surprise me if there was a municipal cost contributed at the time, and that stinks. But at the end of the day, this was a business decision, and to cry foul like your best friend done you dirty is doesn't make any sense. I am sure if stadiums like the Columbia's had been more profitable, they wouldn't have been cut, or if they are desirable, another team will move in there, as that would be a smart overall business decision.

Netflix recently decided to cancel Sabrina and The Order after 2 seasons... despite them being a popular shows. I am sure some people are going to cancel their Netflix accounts over it. Investors put in money into the success of those shows specifically. Actors turned down projects to be on those shows. But end of the day, Netflix believe they will be more profitable without that market. How is this different other than it's less commonplace than a show getting cancelled?

Comment

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

Baseball owners clearly lost the ability to feel shame a very long time ago. If they ever had it.

We go to Round Rock about once a year to watch a AAA game. It is a huge thing for the community up there. While Round Rock will continue, I can't image the heartbreak it would cause to communities where baseball doesn't survive.

Way to grow the next generations of fans, dumbasses.
        And less than 24 hours after I typed this, Round Rock (near Austin) lost the AAA team for the Astros. Sugarland Skeeters are the new AAA Astros team, about an hour away, 1.5 hours with traffic. Unfortunately for me, the Mets AAA doesn't come out this far.

Hopefully the Rangers go back into Round Rock. They were there from 2011-2018. Their current AAA location is Nashville. Real nice field, players are very accessible to the fans. Saw the Mets AAA team there when they were in Vegas.

Comment

• saxon
          saxon commented
          Editing a comment
          Sugarland? What kind of town comes up with a stupid name like Sugarland?

• mjjm367
          mjjm367 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, don't blame me, I'm from New York.

Home (or used to be home) to a large sugar cane plantation.

Well, to be fair, Columbia is about four hours away from me, I only got to go there because my work took me there three times per year.

I'm actually MORE worried about the Kinston team now, the Down East Wood Ducks. Again, they refurbished a great old stadium for the team, poured millions into it, and Kinston does NOT have the money to blow, on the A team for the Rangers. This was with the agreement from them for long term use.

Now? Who freaking knows. I know it's a business, but these cities spend the money based on good faith word that they will have a team, then a couple years later the rug gets pulled from under them. This wasn't a long term decision, this is short term, and it because the foundation of the sport is the minor leagues. That is where most fans learn the game and experience it live for the first time. Most families don't live very close to a major league team, so their best shot at a live game is a AA, A, or even Rookie level game. They are much more affordable, there are those outlandish gimmick things that go on, the kids get to sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame, eat a dog, sit in the sun and see a game. Most folks who don't have a lot of money can only afford these lower level games, but they do so because it's good, clean fun that is affordable to the masses. Major League teams have pretty much priced many, if not most, fans out of the stadium and onto the TV, now, they are taking away 42 more opportunities for promoting the game at the roots.

This may give them initial revenue boost by fewer salaries, but they are killing their long-term growth potential.

Comment

you're assuming those people from small towns who follow the lower level teams continue to follow the big league teams and put money in the owners pockets. I think that may be a false assumption. Considering these teams flip regularly, I bet there is little to no loyalty from a Buffalo fan to a Mets fan prior to them leaving Buffalo, or after.

Maybe I'm thinking too much like someone who has never lived more than a 7 train or LI Rail Road ride away from a major stadium. But let's remember, this contraction started prior to COVID, and COVID may have deepened the cut, but this was a well researched business decision.

But I do totally get that it absolutely Sucks, and for that I'm sorry

Comment

Working...
          X