Goodbye to minor league baseball as we know it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye to minor league baseball as we know it

MLB is looking to get rid of about 40 minor league teams...

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-league-teams/

hey dumb question but...It used to be that when I would post a link to an article, it would show a preview of the article, and not just a link...any idea what happened to that feature?

Comment

Don't know, but to the point of the post/article, MLB is absolutely short sighted and asinine. They are cutting out the very fabric of the game, the small town teams that build up the goodwill and loyalty to the game.

Typical take the money today and don't think about tomorrow thinking.

Comment

My take was not as severe as Brian's.

First the intent of MLB is to improve the salary, stadiums and travel of MiLB. MLB has agreed to a need of 150 player spots (75%) of what exists. MLB also wants more stability of affiliation, next season 10 of the 14 team in the International League (AAA) will need to agree to new 2 or 4 year contracts with the affiliate. FYI the Mets own Syracuse and are set, as are the Yankees, Boston and Braves.

This whole concept will part of the new PBA (Professional Baseball Agreement) which will take place for the 2021 season. The changes would also effort putting MILB clubs in the same geological area as the primary team ie. The IL would expand to 20 teams while the 16 team PCL would become 10.

Essentially MLB views some of these MILB facilities as eyesores, slums, dumps etc. They also are recognizing the living, working and traveling conditions as wanting.

When I first followed baseball, the ML was bordered by the Atl. Ocean and Mississippi River...There were 16 teams in 10 cities and 8 states. Today we have added another country, there are 30 teams in 27 cities, 20 states and 1 province all bordered by oceans.

Even 65 years after relocation and 60 years of expansion a lot of this country doesn't have live baseball because they cannot support it with attendance. Why should a minor league city be exempted? A team needs more than lip service loyalty, it needs financial support. Why should young ballplayers have to develop in conditions that fall below those of any college and most high schools...they shouldn't.

Comment

didn't really come into this thread with a horse in this race, but I must say, well argued Yogi.

Comment

• mjjm367
            mjjm367 commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed. Nicely stated.

Every once in a while I might get a position right....strongly stress might. lol

Comment

I read somewhere some time ago that MLB has some concern over salary and travel due to the rise of the minimum wage to $15/hr in many states. When you factor in the hours at the park and travel time they are not even close to minimum wage. MLB doesn't want Congress to step in and fix it for them.

This is an excerpt from an article about Paul Sewald (good read by the way) and how he almost quit;

[QUOTE][According to The Athletic, the average salary for minor leaguers whose contracts are handled by MLB, ranged from around $6,000 in Single A to around $9,350 in Double A to almost $15,000 in Triple A in 2018. Players are only compensated for the months of the season.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sp...am/3963592002/

/QUOTE]

Paul also points out how it is difficult to supplement those salaries with jobs during the off-season because players find it hard to find employers willing to accommodate the time off necessary when the season begins.

Comment

Mixed feelings about the possible intrusion by the government(s) to consider the addition of MiBL players to minimum wage laws. Certainly players need to be paid a wage at some level that can provide for the player year round....A ball? 50 K per season that would cover 100 players per season who are currently earning an average of 10-12 K per season plus per diem for food.

The added cost would be 4 M to the organization or what they might spend on a BP arm that will ring up 5 BS and a 5.00 ERA.

The alternative could mean locked Locker Rooms, so players didn't punch the clock too early or moving Rookie ball and A - A+ to the DR/ Venezuela/Mexico or cutting players who might be slow developing prematurely.

50 K per year isn't great money, but would put the MLB over the minimum wage law as well as being pro-active.

I'm reminded of stories about the Brooklyn Dodgers and players like Gil Hodges, Duke Snyder who in Brooklyn year round and loaded trucks in the off season. Part time jobs are available still to day. I would think that pro ball players would be attractive to manual entry level positions in big box stores, kitchen work and loading trucks like HOF Duke Synder.

Comment

That kind of scratch would cover just about any set of OT circumstance that could occur... even crazy California labor laws.

Problem is, if you don't reduce the number of teams each affiliate has, then 4M won't cover it. You're more likely looking at 6 teams, with 35 man rosters, or 210 players. Also factoring in that A and AAA aren't going to be the same, that results in closer to a 10-12M cost. When you are a team limited by a 100M payroll, does a 10M hit affect your ability to compete?

Crunching the numbers, even in the most stringent of labor law states (ahem Cali) a AAA player with 6 hours of game time 6x a week with an average of 10 hours of travel per week would be covered by a 30K salary over the 7 month work period. There is definitely room between what Yogi is offering and what they are receiving to be covered without dismantling the system. Whether that room make it unprofitable is a question that I altogether cannot answer.

Comment

Working...
                X