Sandy Alderson - Minor League Program

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandy Alderson - Minor League Program

other positions require talent, Sandy doesn't understand how to develop talent other than sluggers and pitch taking DH's/CornerOF/1B's

I saw this knowing the draft goes deeper than 1st round picks, but which of these guys were supposed to be the slugger you're talking about Sandy not knowing how to develop? Its actually a pretty good spreading out of talent. Drafted assumed position: CF, SS, C, 1B, LF

Nimmo?
    Cecchini?
    Plawecki?
    Dom Smith?
    Conforto?

so which slugging talent did Alderson draft to develop? Not a basher on the list? Smith was supposed to be from the Hosmer school of contact. 15-20 HR w/ .300 average and 30+ double potential. Conforto was the closest as a pure hitter to be a "basher" but he was supposed to do it while hitting for average.

Now if you want to talk about signing already developed talent, yes, he seems to keep going to power route...

Comment

Great points, FANG.

I'm kind of surprised that the first two picks of this draft were high schoolers. I guess this means that Sandy is here for the long haul, like it or not.

Comment

I had a thought about this that I shared in the chat - what if he's winding down on his own? I was surprised he choose to extend on the last one, so what if he's saying college or HS doesn't matter as he won't be here to see either reach in time? If that's the case, its less surprising as he's going for legacy picks rather than quick turn around picks.

The other possibility, and i know many don't want to hear this, is that he's actually playing the "best player on the board" game. His picks were selfless, but only aimed at bettering the team he's paid to better...

we'll never truly know his mindset, but I think its unfair to assume the worst. (That said, it's certainly not out of the realm of possible...)

Comment

I'm just suspicious of everything with this organization right now. I have no confidence in ANYONE at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by saxon View Post
            other positions require talent, Sandy doesn't understand how to develop talent other than sluggers and pitch taking DH's/CornerOF/1B's
            I'm pretty sure Alderman has very little to do with drafting or developing prospects.

Drew's Sig

Comment

by the way:
              1) this is an offshoot from another thread (made into it's own thread by Dru);
              2) yes, Sandy has a lot to do with drafting and developing prospects...he's the boss, and whoever he picks to oversee each area, still have to report to Sandy...
              Last edited by saxon; 07-Jun-2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X