Ronny Mauricio - Last Year International Prospect Turning Heads in GCL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronny Mauricio - Last Year International Prospect Turning Heads in GCL

Ronny Mauricio, last year's top signing, is already turning heads both inside and outside the organization with his strong play in the Gulf Coast League.

Drew's Sig

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Next Amed Rosario

Comment

Top Prospect Ronny Mauricio's Obvious Talent
            has been Hard to Ignore During Spring Training

Mauricio left Seth Lugo "very impressed" after simulated game at-bat

by John Harper
            5 Mar 2020, 5:34 PM ET

Port St. Lucie, FL -- You can't help but notice Ronny Mauricio, the Mets' top-ranked prospect, when he's on the field, as the talent is obvious, especially when he battles Seth Lugo in an eight-pitch at-bat, as he did on Thursday in a simulated game.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cut.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	10345More to the point, Lugo couldn't help notice Mauricio after the young shortstop fouled off some tough pitches against him, including a couple of good curveballs, and finally roped a fastball for a single, pulling it to right field.

"He put a really good at-bat together," Lugo said afterward. "I made some really good pitches. I was impressed. Very impressed."

Mauricio is only 18, still a long way from the big leagues, but there's plenty of buzz around him, as he is already ranked among the Top 100 prospects in the minors, No. 48 by Keith Law of The Athletic, No. 62 by MLBpipeline.com.

Signed as an international free agent out of the Dominican Republic, Mauricio is a switch-hitter who stands 6-foot-3 and as looks as lean as a young Darryl Strawberry, listed at 166 pounds. The athleticism is obvious, and the only question evaluators have raised is whether he'll outgrow shortstop as he puts weight on beyond his teenage years, and perhaps turn out to be more of a third baseman.

Former manager Terry Collins has seen plenty of Mauricio in his current role as a senior adviser for the Mets, and he was impressed enough by the young shortstop's at-bats in the sim game on Thursday, especially against Lugo, that he made a point of seeking him out afterward.

"I had to tell him what a great job he did in some of those at-bats," Collins said. "He's got a lot of ability. I like what I've seen of him at shortstop. He slows the game down nicely, he never rushes a play, and that's a great sign for a young player."

Eventually that could force the Mets to make a tough decision about shortstop. Andres Gimenez, another top prospect, is having an impressive camp at age 21, showing improved pop with the bat in addition to his smooth play at short, and current shortstop Amed Rosario is still only 24, coming off a strong second half last season.

"It's a good problem for the Mets to have, obviously," said a rival scout. "You can't have too many good shortstops."

Drew's Sig

Comment

Great if he can stay at SS, value takes a considerable hit if he has to move to a corner.

Comment

Working...
              X