METS -- BATTING -- ROCKIES

METS -- PITCHING -- ROCKIES

METS -- TRANSACTIONS - INJURIES

ROCKIES -- TRANSACTIONS - INJURIES

GAME START WEATHER

METS -- LINEUPS -- ROCKIES

Drew's Sig

Mets Look to Bounce Back vs. Rockies, Stay in Hunt

Marcus Stroman was one of the hotter names in trade rumors leading up to the July 31 deadline, and the New York Mets snookered suitors by pulling off a deal on July 28.

His arrival has helped keep the Mets in playoff contention, and he will try to keep the push going when he takes the mound against the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field in Denver on Tuesday night.

The Rockies took the series opener, 9-4 on Monday night, to drop the Mets five games back in the National League wild-card race.

Colorado will counter with fellow right-hander Tim Melville, who is trying to recapture his early success when he debuted with the Rockies in late August.

Stroman (8-13, 3.35 ERA) has been solid in eight starts since joining New York's rotation. He has a 2-2 mark with a 4.50 ERA, and the Mets are 5-3 in his starts.

He returns to Coors Field for the second time this season. He had not faced the Rockies before starting against them on June 1 while with the Toronto Blue Jays. Stroman had a solid outing in the thin air, allowing four runs (three earned) on seven hits over seven innings with two strikeouts and no walks. Nonetheless, he took the loss.

Stroman is coming off one of his best outings since joining the Mets, however, allowing one run on four hits in 6 1/3 innings in an 11-1 win over Arizona on Thursday. The right-hander said a couple of mechanical adjustments helped with him against the Diamondbacks, but he wasn't concerned about his performance before Thursday.

"My confidence hasn't wavered," he told the New York Post. "I'll go through whatever spurts, but I don't hold on to a good win. I don't hold on to a bad loss. Truthfully, I let it go and I focus on five days after, so I battle and compete regardless of what I am going through each and every time out, and that is something I will continue to do."

Monday started a string for the Mets of 10 games against teams eliminated from the playoff race, with the first six coming on the road, in Colorado and Cincinnati.

The Rockies had high expectations coming into the season, but a 3-12 start and a swoon that started in late June led to early offseason after two straight playoff appearances.

Injuries have played a factor and have forced the Rockies to use more players than they had planned from Triple-A, contributing to the franchise's first losing season since 2016.

"We are relying on a lot of young guys right now, for sure," third baseman Nolan Arenado told the Denver Post. "I remember when I was young, I made a lot of mistakes, so I get it. They have to learn from their mistakes."

Melville (2-2, 5.16 ERA) made a splash when he was recalled on Aug. 21 to pitch against Arizona. He went seven innings to get his first major league win that day and then won his next start. Colorado is 3-2 in his starts, but he coming off a short outing against St. Louis on Thursday.

He went three innings, allowing five runs on five hits -- four of them home runs. Tuesday will be the first time facing the Mets in the journeyman's career.

Drew's Sig

Comment

IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO LOCAL FANS
      Drew's Sig

Comment

Top of 1:
        Mets first. Nimmo grounded out, third baseman Arenado to first baseman Murphy. McNeil walked on a full count. Alonso grounded into a double play, shortstop Story to second baseman McMahon to first baseman Murphy, McNeil out.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 0

Bottom of 1:
        Rockies first. Story grounded out, first baseman Alonso unassisted. Murphy grounded out, first baseman Alonso unassisted. Arenado struck out.

Top of 2:
        Mets second. Canó flied out to center fielder Hilliard. Ramos struck out. Conforto grounded out, second baseman McMahon to first baseman Murphy.

Bottom of 2:
        Rockies second. Blackmon walked on four pitches. McMahon grounded into a double play, second baseman Canó to shortstop Rosario to first baseman Alonso, Blackmon out. Tapia struck out.

Top of 3:
        Mets third. Frazier grounded out, third baseman Arenado to first baseman Murphy. Rosario singled to center. Stroman grounded into a double play, second baseman McMahon to shortstop Story to first baseman Murphy, Rosario out.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 1

Bottom of 3:
        Rockies third. Hilliard singled to left. Wolters flied out to left fielder McNeil. Melville struck out. Story flied out to center fielder Nimmo.

Top of 4:
        Mets fourth. Nimmo struck out. McNeil grounded out, pitcher Melville to first baseman Murphy. Alonso grounded out, third baseman Arenado to first baseman Murphy.

Bottom of 4:
        Rockies fourth. Murphy struck out. Arenado flied out to center fielder Nimmo. Blackmon struck out.

Top of 5:
        Mets fifth. Canó grounded out, first baseman Murphy to pitcher Melville. Ramos singled to right. Conforto lined into a double play, third baseman Arenado to first baseman Murphy, Ramos out.

Bottom of 5:
        Rockies fifth. McMahon struck out. Tapia lined out to center fielder Nimmo. Hilliard singled to right. Wolters flied out to left fielder McNeil.

Top of 6:
        Mets sixth. Frazier singled to left. Rosario homered to left on a 1-1 count, Frazier scored. Stroman grounded out, shortstop Story to first baseman Murphy. Nimmo homered to left on the first pitch. McNeil flied out to right fielder Blackmon. Alonso homered to center on a 3-0 count. Diehl pitching. Canó hit an infield single to third. Almonte pitching. Ramos struck out.
        Runs: 4, Hits: 5

Bottom of 6:
        Rockies sixth. Fuentes pinch-hitting for Almonte. Fuentes grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Alonso. Story singled to left. Murphy grounded out, first baseman Alonso unassisted, Story to second. Arenado grounded out, second baseman Canó to first baseman Alonso.

Top of 7:
        Mets seventh. Parsons pitching. Conforto walked. Frazier flied out to right fielder Blackmon. Rosario grounded into a double play, second baseman McMahon to shortstop Story to first baseman Murphy, Conforto out.

Bottom of 7:
        Rockies seventh. Blackmon singled to right. McMahon lined out to center fielder Nimmo. Tapia struck out. Blackmon was caught stealing, catcher Ramos to shortstop Rosario, Blackmon out.

Top of 8:
        Mets eighth. Panik pinch-hitting for Stroman. Panik singled to left. Nimmo walked on a full count, Panik to second. McNeil struck out. Alonso singled to right, Panik scored, Nimmo to third. Alonso was out advancing, first baseman Murphy to shortstop Story, Alonso out. Canó grounded out, second baseman McMahon to first baseman Murphy.
        Runs: 1, Hits: 2

Bottom of 8:
        Rockies eighth. J.Wilson pitching. Panik in as second baseman. Hampson pinch-hitting for Hilliard. Hampson grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Alonso. Wolters popped out to shortstop Rosario. Valaika pinch-hitting for Parsons. Valaika doubled to left. Story struck out.

Top of 9:
        Mets ninth. Hampson in as center fielder. Garcia pitching. Ramos doubled to right. Conforto flied out to right fielder Blackmon, Ramos to third. Frazier singled to center, Ramos scored. Rosario lined out to center fielder Hampson. Panik fouled out to left fielder Tapia.
        Runs: 1, Hits: 2

Bottom of 9:
        Rockies ninth. Nimmo in as left fielder. Lagares in as center fielder. Avilán pitching. Murphy flied out to left fielder Nimmo. Arenado grounded out, second baseman Panik to first baseman Alonso. Blackmon homered to right on a full count. McMahon grounded out, first baseman Alonso to pitcher Avilán.
        Runs: 1, Hits: 1

Drew's Sig

Comment

Stroman's Strong Outing Keys Mets' 6-1 Win Over Rockies

by DENNIS GEORGATOS

DENVER, CO -- Marcus Stroman provided a boost to the New York Mets' flickering playoff hopes.

Stroman pitched seven shutout innings, Amed Rosario, Brandon Nimmo and Pete Alonso all homered in the sixth to break open a scoreless game and the Mets beat the Colorado Rockies 6-1 on Tuesday night.

"We show up with the same confidence every day," Stroman said. "I think we can rattle up some wins here. We can get hot. I think everyone believes that, so it's just a matter of going out there and doing it."

New York pulled within four games of Chicago and Milwaukee for the second NL wild-card berth. The Mets have 11 games left in the regular season.

"We're going to try to grab as many games as we possibly can," Alonso said. "Every win matters and we're going to keep trying to play our best baseball coming down the stretch."

Stroman (9-13) allowed four hits, struck out seven and walked one in helping the Mets bounce back from consecutive losses.

"We couldn't solve him today," Rockies manager Bud Black said. "Good movement on his pitches in the hitting area, that's what I saw from the side. Fastball had a little bit of takeoff, had some run. Had a hard cutter. Mixed in some breaking balls. We just didn't square many balls up."

Tim Melville (2-3) had put up zeroes right along with Stroman, facing the minimum through five innings with an assist from his defense, which turned three double plays while he was on the mound.

But Todd Frazier singled to start the sixth and Rosario followed by driving a 1-1 offering from Melville into the left field bleachers for his 13th home run and a 2-0 lead.

One out later, Nimmo tagged the first pitch he saw for his seventh of the season. Melville got Jeff McNeil to fly out before Alonso, getting the green light on a 3-0 pitch, connected for his 48th home run. The ball landed among the stand of evergreens beyond the center field fence, and Melville was relieved by Philip Diehl.

"I feel like a lot of us were taking really good swings," Alonso said. "Unfortunately, in the game of baseball, it's nine against one and sometimes you hit them right at people. You hit the ball hard and it doesn't necessarily show up in the results. But I feel like we were having quality at-bats and it all eventually came together. That sixth inning was nice, really nice."

Alonso, who added an RBI single in the Mets' eighth, is one homer shy of tying Mark McGwire for the second-most home runs by a rookie in a season. The New York Yankees' Aaron Judge hit 52 home runs as a rookie in 2017.

Charlie Blackmon homered off Luis Avilan with two outs in the ninth for the Rockies' lone run.

Stroman, acquired from Toronto in a July 28 trade, improved to 3-2 with a 3.86 ERA in his nine starts for New York. The Mets have gone 6-3 with Stroman on the mound.

CONGRATULATIONS AND THANKS

Former Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, a two-time Super Bowl winner, was in attendance and offered his congratulations to Alonso, leaning across a railing near the visitors dugout to deliver some encouraging words to the Mets standout rookie as he rejoined his team after hitting his sixth-inning homer.

"He just shook my hand," Alonso said. "He said, `Hey, I'm Mike Shanahan.' I said, `Yeah, I know.' My dad raised me right. My dad is a big football guy. He grew up playing football, played college football and when I was playing football he made sure I knew who certain people were and he was definitely one of those guys. He just said, `Good swing. It's fun watching you play. Keep doing it.' I'm like, `Thanks.'"

TRAINER'S ROOM

Rockies: LHP Kyle Freeland threw some 40 pitches in a simulated game in a major step toward returning from a left groin strain. The team remains hopeful he'll be able to pitch one or two more times before the end of this season. Freeland said he felt fine after the throwing session. "All pitches felt good," Freeland said. "Leg held up well, so was able to go 100 percent. All in all, it felt really good today." Freeland has been on the 10-day injured list since Aug. 21.

UP NEXT

Mets: RHP Noah Syndergaard (10-8, 4.15 ERA) is slated to make his first career start against Colorado at Coors Field. He has gone 2-0 with a 2.42 ERA in four previous starts against Colorado, all at home.

Rockies: RHP Jeff Hoffman (2-6, 7.03 ERA) is making his second start of the season against the Mets. He took the loss in the first encounter on June 9, allowing six hits and seven runs in 4 2/3 innings.

Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/
            Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/
                Drew's Sig

Comment