METS -- BATTING -- MARLINS

METS -- PITCHING -- MARLINS

METS -- TRANSACTIONS - INJURIES

MARLINS -- TRANSACTIONS - INJURIES

GAME START WEATHER

METS -- LINEUPS -- MARLINS

Drew's Sig

Mets Aim for Series Win Over Marlins

The weekend began with first-year general manager Brodie Van Wagenen admitting this season is a disappointment and defending the trade that brought Robinson Cano to the New York Mets for two highly regarded prospects.

For one night, the Mets did not experience much disappointment thanks to an impressive swing by Cano, who hit a tie breaking two-run homer in the eighth inning of Saturday's 4-2 win.

On Sunday, the Mets can get their first road series win in more than three months and second overall when they conclude a three-game set with the Miami Marlins.

New York is 18-32 on the road this season and 11-31 in its last 42 road games since winning seven of its first eight road contests. The Mets are in a position to get their first road series win since sweeping Miami April 1-3 as part of their 9-4 start to the season.

The Mets are 32-47 overall since then, however, and own the second-worst record in the National League after Van Wagenen declared "come get us" to the rest of the NL East in January shortly after obtaining Cano from the Mariners along with Edwin Diaz for Justin Dunn and Jarred Kelenic, who participated in last week's Future's Game.

Cano enters Sunday with five homers after hitting his first since June 17. He also drove in two runs for the first time since April 15 and only the third time overall.

"I don't know if you noticed I've been hit twice, three times on my hand," Cano said. "That's not an excuse. I'm the kind of guy even if it bothers me, I would never say anything. I would like to be able to go out and contribute any way or anyhow."

After one of his biggest hits of a disappointing season, Cano is batting .240 with five homers and 20 RBIs.

"You don't put up a Hall of Fame career without having pride in yourself and wanting to prove to people that you're one of the best," Mets manager Mickey Callaway said. "There's no doubt. He has that."

The Mets also got a strong outing from Noah Syndergaard and will hope Jacob deGrom (4-7, 3.27) can do the same. The reigning NL Cy Young Award winner has produced a 2.68 ERA in his last seven starts with 61 strikeouts and seven walks but the Mets are 1-6 in those games.

He last pitched July 5 at home against Philadelphia when he allowed two runs, three hits and struck out 10 in seven innings of a no-decision in a 7-2 loss.

The right-hander is 6-7 with a 3.55 ERA in 19 career starts against Miami, which tagged him for seven runs on nine hits May 17.

The Marlins swept the Mets at home May 17-19 and won the series opener 8-4 Friday. They scored both runs in the fourth inning Saturday, struck out 12 times and lost for the 10th time in their last 14 games.

Sandy Alcantara (4-8, 3.82) gets the nod for Miami in his first start since appearing in the All-Star Game. Alcantara last started July 3 in Washington, when he allowed two runs on four hits in 5 2/3 innings of a 3-1 loss while opposing Stephen Strasburg.

"I think I had a pretty good game," Alcantara told reporters after allowing a two-run homer to Brian Dozier. "I just missed a spot with my pitch and they hit a homer."

Alcantara is 2-2 with a 2.14 ERA in five career starts against the Mets. On May 19, he pitched a two-hitter against New York in a game that lasted one hour, 59 minutes.

Drew's Sig

Comment

IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO LOCAL FANS
      Drew's Sig

Comment

Top of 1:
        Mets first. McNeil homered to right on the first pitch. Conforto struck out. Alonso flied out to left fielder Granderson. Smith grounded out, third baseman Walker to first baseman Cooper.
        Runs: 1, Hits: 1

Bottom of 1:
        Marlins first. Rojas struck out. Walker grounded out, shortstop Hechavarría to first baseman Alonso. Cooper singled to center. Anderson struck out.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 1

Top of 2:
        Mets second. Canó doubled to right. Ramos struck out. Frazier flied out to left fielder Granderson. Hechavarría hit an infield single to shortstop, Canó to third. deGrom struck out.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 2

Bottom of 2:
        Marlins second. Castro singled to right. Granderson walked on a full count, Castro to second. Puello struck out. Holaday walked on a full count, Castro to third, Granderson to second. Alcantara struck out. Rojas singled to right, Castro scored, Granderson to third, Holaday to second. Granderson was out advancing, right fielder McNeil to catcher Ramos, Granderson out.
        Runs: 1, Hits: 2

Top of 3:
        Mets third. McNeil flied out to left fielder Granderson. Conforto flied out to center fielder Puello. Alonso was hit by a pitch. Smith flied out to center fielder Puello.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 0

Bottom of 3:
        Marlins third. Walker walked on a full count. Cooper grounded out, pitcher deGrom to first baseman Alonso, Walker to second. Anderson flied out to left fielder Smith. Castro fouled out to first baseman Alonso.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 0

Top of 4:
        Mets fourth. Canó singled to center. Ramos walked on four pitches, Canó to second. Frazier hit an infield single to shortstop, Canó to third, Ramos to second. Hechavarría grounded out, shortstop Rojas to first baseman Cooper, Canó scored, Ramos to third, Frazier to second. deGrom walked. McNeil grounded into fielder's choice, third baseman Walker to catcher Holaday, Ramos out, Frazier to third, deGrom to second. Conforto hit an infield single to second, Frazier scored, deGrom to third, McNeil to second. Alonso struck out.
        Runs: 2, Hits: 3

Bottom of 4:
        Marlins fourth. Granderson struck out. Puello flied out to left fielder Smith. Holaday hit an infield single to shortstop. Alcantara grounded out, second baseman Canó to first baseman Alonso.

Top of 5:
        Mets fifth. Smith lined out to center fielder Puello. Canó grounded out, shortstop Rojas to first baseman Cooper. Ramos hit an infield single to third. Frazier struck out.

Bottom of 5:
        Marlins fifth. Rojas singled to right. Walker singled to center, Rojas to second. Cooper struck out. Anderson grounded into a double play, second baseman Canó to shortstop Hechavarría to first baseman Alonso, Walker out.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 2

Top of 6:
        Mets sixth. Hechavarría hit an infield single to shortstop. Guillorme pinch-hitting for deGrom. Guillorme singled to right, Hechavarría to third. McNeil safe at first on fielder's choice plus throwing error by first baseman Cooper, Hechavarría scored, Guillorme to second. Conforto flied out to left fielder Granderson. Alonso struck out. Smith grounded out, pitcher Alcantara unassisted.

Bottom of 6:
        Marlins sixth. J.Wilson pitching. Castro singled to left. H.Ramírez pinch-hitting for Granderson. H.Ramírez lined out to second baseman Canó. Puello struck out. Holaday grounded out, shortstop Hechavarría to first baseman Alonso.

Top of 7:
        Mets seventh. H.Ramírez in as left fielder. Hernandez pitching. Canó homered to right on a 2-1 count. Ramos flied out to right fielder Anderson. Frazier flied out to center fielder Puello. Hechavarría struck out.

Bottom of 7:
        Marlins seventh. Familia pitching. Riddle pinch-hitting for Hernandez. Riddle grounded out, shortstop Hechavarría to first baseman Alonso. Rojas singled to center. Walker walked on a full count, Rojas to second. Cooper walked on four pitches, Rojas to third, Walker to second. Lugo pitching. Rosario in as shortstop. Anderson struck out. Castro grounded into fielder's choice, shortstop Rosario to second baseman Canó, Cooper out.

Top of 8:
        Mets eighth. Wei-Yin pitching. Rosario doubled to left. McNeil was hit by a pitch. Conforto flied out to right fielder Anderson, Rosario to third. Alonso hit a sacrifice fly to center fielder Puello, Rosario scored. Smith popped out to shortstop Rojas.

Bottom of 8:
        Marlins eighth. McNeil in as left fielder. Conforto in as right fielder. Gsellman pitching. Smith in as first baseman. Lagares in as center fielder. H.Ramírez grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Smith. Puello singled to center. Holaday lined out to center fielder Lagares. Alfaro pinch-hitting for Wei-Yin. Alfaro struck out.

Top of 9:
        Mets ninth. Romo pitching. Canó singled to left. Ramos grounded into a double play, shortstop Rojas to second baseman Castro to first baseman Cooper, Canó out. Frazier fouled out to first baseman Cooper.

Bottom of 9:
        Marlins ninth. Rojas flied out to center fielder Lagares. Walker popped out to shortstop Rosario. Cooper homered to right on a 0-1 count. Anderson doubled to right. Castro grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Smith.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Cano homers in 2nd straight game, Mets top Marlins 6-2

by CHRISTOPHER STOCK

MIAMI, FL -- Jeff McNeil joked with manager Mickey Callaway moments before leading off the game about hitting a home run on the first pitch.

Callaway requested McNeil have an 11-pitch at-bat ending with a homer, but McNeil had other plans.

"I just laughed and I said I'll do it on the first pitch," McNeil said.

McNeil's home run started the momentum for the Mets and Robinson Cano continued it as he homered for the second consecutive game to help lead New York to a 6-2 win over the Miami Marlins on Sunday.

"(Cano) is obviously barrelling the ball up and the last couple days he's actually getting it in the air and having some good results as far as extra-base hits and homers," Callaway said.

Cano finished 4 for 5 for his first four-hit game since May 7 at San Diego and came a day after he hit a tie breaking go-ahead homer in the eighth in the Mets' victory.

"It's good to see," Callaway said.

Jacob deGrom (5-7) pitched five innings and allowed six hits and one run for the Mets. He struck out six and walked three.

"Today was a battle," deGrom said. "First inning felt good. Second inning on felt like I was flying open a little bit and having a hard time commanding the baseball."

McNeil knocked in a pair of runs while Pete Alonso, Michael Conforto, and Adeiny Hechavarria each drove in one.

It was the first road series win for the Mets since sweeping the Marlins on April 1-3.

"It feels like more than a few months," Callaway said. "It's a good way to start the second half. We've got to keep it rolling."

Miami's Sandy Alcantara (4-9) tossed six innings, allowing nine hits and four runs.

Jeurys Familia loaded the bases in the seventh with one out and a 5-1 lead. Seth Lugo entered and got a called strike three on Brian Anderson and Starlin Castro bounced out to end the threat.

"We had the bases loaded with Familia right there, but we had a tough day at the plate," Miguel Rojas said.

Alonso hit a sacrifice fly in the eighth to cap the scoring for the Mets.

Miami's Garrett Cooper hit his 10th home run of the season in the ninth.

McNeil led off the game with a home run, his eighth, on the first pitch thrown by Alcantara. It was McNeil's second leadoff homer of the season. He also knocked in a run in the sixth on a fielder's choice. He is hitting .402 (35 for 87) with five home runs and 18 RBIs in his past 21 games.

Rojas, who went 3 for 5, tied the game at 1 with an RBI single in the second.

The Mets scored twice in the fourth on a ground out by Hechavarria and a base hit by Conforto.

"It could have gotten really ugly right there, but (Alcantara) was able to limit the damage," Marlins manager Don Mattingly said.

McNeil's groundout extended the lead to 4-1.

"I think I was throwing a pretty good game," Alcantara said. "They got a lot of soft contact off of me for runs, but I never give up. I want to continue attacking the hitters"

Cano's sixth home run of the season went over the right-field wall in the seventh for a 5-1 lead.

It was the first time Cano has homered in consecutive games since Sept. 2-3, 2017, while with Seattle.

ROSARIO BENCHED

Mets shortstop Amed Rosario did not start for what he believes was for not running out a fly ball that dropped during Saturday's game.

"I think it was because of the consequences of me not running out that flyball," Rosario said through a translator.

Callaway said: "I wouldn't call it disciplinary."

The Mets were leading 4-2 in the eighth when Rosario hit a fly ball to right-center that was misplayed by the Marlins' outfielders, dropping in for a single.

"He knows that he needs to be on second in that situation and a few guys hit him up right after it happened," Callaway said.

Rosario entered Sunday's game in the seventh and doubled in his only at-bat.

TRAINER'S ROOM

Marlins: IF Martin Prado (hamstring) began a rehab assignment with Double-A Jacksonville on Sunday. ... RHP Tayron Guerrero (finger) continued his rehab by throwing a scoreless inning for Class A Jupiter.

UP NEXT

Mets: RHP Zack Wheeler (6-6, 4.69 ERA) opens a two-game set at Minnesota on Tuesday. Wheeler allowed six runs in five innings in his previous start against Philadelphia on July 7.

Marlins: RHP Jordan Yamamoto (3-0, 1.24) begins a three-game series against San Diego on Tuesday. Yamamoto has the third-best ERA in the majors since making his debut on June 12.

Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/
            Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/
              Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
              X