METS -- BATTING -- MARLINS

METS -- PITCHING -- MARLINS

METS -- TRANSACTIONS - INJURIES

MARLINS -- TRANSACTIONS - INJURIES

GAME START WEATHER

METS -- LINEUPS -- MARLINS

Drew's Sig

Syndergaard Gets Start Against Marlins Amid Trade Rumors

MIAMI, FL -- Right-hander Noah Syndergaard is scheduled to take the mound Saturday on the road against the Miami Marlins to open what could be the final second half of his New York Mets tenure.

Reports circulated this week that the Mets could be interested in moving Syndergaard by the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, but a heavy return of multiple top prospects is likely desired, putting chances of a deal in question.

Yet Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen did admit before Friday's game in Miami that a roster shakeup will happen, although not a complete roster overhaul.

"Well, I said it," Van Wagenen told reporters after first saying in the offseason that National League East teams need to come and get the Mets. "I think what you'll learn and what I hope to always be is that I want to say what I believe, and I wasn't shy in the offseason. But they came and got us, and I think that now we view ourselves as the underdogs."

It has been a below-average season for Syndergaard (6-4, 4.68 ERA), who is hoping that a move to a personal catcher in Tomas Nido gives him more of a chance at delivering the results he desires. Nido has also developed into a personal catcher for Jacob deGrom.

Nido's presence behind the plate for the star starters is reportedly due to his ability to handle low pitches, among other nuisances, over fellow catcher Wilson Ramos. It was Ramos, though, who drove in two runs Friday during an 8-4 loss to the Marlins.

More than a move to a personal catcher, a matchup against the Marlins is probably what Syndergaard needs most. He has dominated the team in nine career starts, going 6-1 with a 1.74 ERA over 62 innings. At Marlins Park, he is 4-1 with a 2.31 ERA over six starts (39 innings).

The Marlins will counter Saturday with rookie Zac Gallen (0-1, 4.50), as the right-hander makes his fourth career start. Gallen last pitched on July 2, in an outing that was shortened to two innings against the Washington Nationals because of a 1-hour, 16-minute rain delay. He gave up two runs on three hits, including his first home run.

"You only pitch every five days, so you want to make the most of it when you are out there. It's not fun when your outing gets cut short," Gallen said. "We definitely had a little different idea of the game plan, and I wanted to see how it worked out. They had some new guys in the lineup that weren't there a week ago."

His previous outing was also against the Nationals on June 26 when he gave up three runs on four hits over five innings with eight strikeouts. In his major league debut June 20 against the St. Louis Cardinals, he gave up one run on five hits over five innings but ended up with a no-decision.

"There's going to be a learning curve from game to game," Marlins manager Don Mattingly said. "Is it going to be consistency, start-in and start-out?"

The Marlins have now won four consecutive games against the Mets this season, all at Miami, after starting the year 0-5 against New York.

Drew's Sig

Comment

IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO LOCAL FANS
      Drew's Sig

Comment

Top of 1:
        Mets first. McNeil flied out to left fielder H.Ramírez. Conforto lined out to right fielder Anderson. Alonso walked on a full count. Smith struck out.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 0

Bottom of 1:
        Marlins first. Rojas grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Alonso. Cooper was hit by a pitch. Anderson struck out. Walker singled to center, Cooper to second. Castro hit an infield single to third, Cooper to third, Walker to second. H.Ramírez grounded into fielder's choice, shortstop Rosario to second baseman Canó, Castro out.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 2

Top of 2:
        Mets second. Canó struck out, catcher Alfaro to first baseman Cooper. Frazier walked. Rosario lined out to right fielder Anderson. Nido grounded out, pitcher Gallen to first baseman Cooper.

Bottom of 2:
        Marlins second. Alfaro struck out. Riddle struck out. Gallen struck out.

Top of 3:
        Mets third. Syndergaard grounded out, second baseman Castro to first baseman Cooper. McNeil doubled to right. Conforto homered to right on a 1-0 count, McNeil scored. Alonso singled to center. Smith walked on a full count, Alonso to second. Canó grounded into fielder's choice, second baseman Castro to shortstop Rojas, Alonso to third, Smith out. Frazier struck out.
        Runs: 2, Hits: 3

Bottom of 3:
        Marlins third. Rojas struck out. Cooper struck out. Anderson grounded out, shortstop Rosario to first baseman Alonso.

Top of 4:
        Mets fourth. Rosario singled to left. Rosario was caught stealing, catcher Alfaro to second baseman Castro, Rosario out. Nido walked on a full count. Syndergaard struck out. McNeil flied out to center fielder Riddle.
        Runs: 0, Hits: 1

Bottom of 4:
        Marlins fourth. Walker singled to right. On pickoff attempt, throwing error by pitcher Syndergaard, Walker to second. Castro lined out to second baseman Canó. H.Ramírez doubled to left, Walker scored. Alfaro tripled to right, H.Ramírez scored. Riddle struck out. Gallen grounded out, catcher Nido unassisted.

Top of 5:
        Mets fifth. Conforto walked. Alonso struck out. Smith flied out to right fielder Anderson. Canó grounded out, second baseman Castro to first baseman Cooper.

Bottom of 5:
        Marlins fifth. Rojas lined out to second baseman Canó. Cooper grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Alonso. Anderson grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Alonso.

Top of 6:
        Mets sixth. Brice pitching. Frazier struck out. Rosario flied out to right fielder Anderson. Nido struck out.

Bottom of 6:
        Marlins sixth. Walker struck out. Castro grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Alonso. H.Ramírez grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Alonso.

Top of 7:
        Mets seventh. J.García pitching. Syndergaard struck out. McNeil hit an infield single to second. Conforto flied out to right fielder Anderson. McNeil was out advancing, right fielder Anderson to shortstop Rojas, McNeil out.

Bottom of 7:
        Marlins seventh. Alfaro struck out. Riddle grounded out, first baseman Alonso to pitcher Syndergaard. Granderson pinch-hitting for J.García. Granderson grounded out, second baseman Canó to first baseman Alonso.

Top of 8:
        Mets eighth. Anderson pitching. Alonso flied out to center fielder Riddle. Smith singled to right. Canó homered to right on a 1-1 count, Smith scored. Frazier struck out. Rosario singled to right. Nido flied out to right fielder Anderson.

Bottom of 8:
        Marlins eighth. McNeil in as left fielder. Conforto in as right fielder. Lagares in as center fielder. Lugo pitching. Hechavarría in as shortstop. Rojas popped out to center fielder Lagares. Cooper struck out. Anderson struck out.

Top of 9:
        Mets ninth. Quijada pitching. Hechavarría struck out. McNeil walked on a full count. Conforto struck out. Alonso struck out.

Bottom of 9:
        Marlins ninth. Díaz pitching. Walker grounded out, third baseman Frazier to first baseman Alonso. Castro singled to left. H.Ramírez lined out to third baseman Frazier. Alfaro struck out.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Cano's Two-run Homer in the 8th Lifts Mets Past Marlins, 4-2

by CHRISTOPHER STOCK

MIAMI, FL -- Manager Mickey Callaway said before the Mets played Saturday night that he was not concerned with Robinson Cano's lack of power thus far.

Why not?

"Because I knew he was going to hit a bomb tonight to win it," Callaway quipped. "You guys didn't realize that?"

Cano hit a tie breaking, two-run homer in the eighth inning to lift New York to a 4-2 victory over the Miami Marlins.

"It meant a lot, not because I hit a homer, but because it helped to win a game," Cano said. "I know in that situation I haven't been that successful this year, but I'm a positive guy and the good thing about this game is you're always going to get the same situation over and over. You just have to stay positive and things are going to turn around."

Cano's fifth home run of the season sailed into the second deck in right field at Marlins Park, breaking a 2-all tie.

It came after Dominic Smith hit a one-out single against Nick Anderson (2-4). Cano delivered his first home run since June 17 at Atlanta, ending a drought of 71 at-bats without a homer.

"He needed it," Callaway said. "Obviously we have talked about his struggles on the road and to get a go-ahead home run has to make him feel good about himself tonight. He's been working hard."

Cano noted why he thinks his power numbers have not been on display this season like they have throughout his career, with 316 homers to his credit over 15 seasons.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but I've been hit twice in the hand this year and that's not an excuse," Cano said. "Even if it's bothering me I would never say anything. I always like to go out and be able to contribute any way, any how. I would never use an excuse like that, but right now my hand feels really good."

Noah Syndergaard (7-4) won his fourth consecutive decision. He pitched seven innings, allowing two runs and five hits. He struck out nine without walking a batter and retired the final 11 batters he faced.

"I felt I did a really good job of being able to repeat my delivery," Syndergaard said. "I really pounded my sinker into righties and my slider started to come back so it kind of opened up both sides of the plate."

Seth Lugo pitched a perfect eighth and Edwin Diaz worked around a one-out single in the ninth for his 20th save in 24 opportunities.

New York's Jeff McNeil had two hits for his 18th multi-hit game in his last 33 games. The NL batting leader is hitting .410 (34 for 83) over his last 20 games.

Michael Conforto hit a two-run homer to right field to give the Mets the early lead off Zac Gallen. It was Conforto's 17th home run of the season.

The Marlins tied the game at 2 in the fourth on a double by Harold Ramirez and a triple to the right-field corner by Jorge Alfaro.

"Not a whole lot (of chances)," Marlins manager Don Mattingly said.

Gallen allowed two runs in five innings.

"I had terrible fastball command tonight," Gallen said.

SYNDERGAARD IN TRADE RUMORS

Syndergaard has dealt with his name being discussed in trade rumors in the past and it could happen again this year with the Mets entering Saturday 14 1/2 games out of first place in their division.

"I try not to pay too much attention to that," he said. "Right now I love being a Met. If something were to ever change, then it would be bittersweet because of New York itself, the fan base, and just the guys in this clubhouse have a special place in my heart."

Syndergaard is 44-26 in five seasons with the Mets.

CONFORTO IN 2-HOLE

Conforto batted second in the lineup for just the sixth time this season with Pete Alonso batting third.

"You just get the feeling you're going to get more pitches in the zone with a guy with 30 homers behind you," Conforto said.

TRAINER'S ROOM

Mets: C Wilson Ramos, who collided with Starlin Castro in the eighth inning of Friday's game, did not play. "He just caught a spike in the knee, but he didn't twist his knee or anything, he's fine," Callaway said after Friday's game.

UP NEXT

Mets: RHP Jacob deGrom (4-7, 3.27 ERA) has thrown seven consecutive quality starts, going 1-2 with a 2.68 ERA during that span.

Marlins: RHP Sandy Alcantara (4-8, 3.82) is 2-2 with a 2.14 ERA in five starts against the Mets.

Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/
            Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/
              Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
              X