Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Stark
    replied
    Well, I don't know how supportive the thought of euthanasia is, but I guess that is a bit softer than I usually am about St. Tim.

I've said it 1000 times, if I had a daughter, I'd LOVE for her to date/marry Tim. I just don't want him in my team's lineup, playing defense for my team, on the roster of my team, or in the developmental system for my team.

Leave a comment:

• mjjm367
    commented on 's reply
    I believe that the most supportive post of Tebow that you have ever written,

Going soft in your old age?

• Brian Stark
    replied
    Ugh. Bad enough that we no longer have an affiliate in Columbia SC any more, but TeBlow is back at it again?

Come on. This horse is not just dead and beaten, it's decayed, mummified, buried in a crypt, exhumed by an archeologist and opened up a centuries long curse.

Tim needs to be taken out back and Ol' Yeller Style taken care of.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Stark
    commented on 's reply
    And I think that the point he made over and over again is that he wants to win, win long term, and win smart.

That does involve both spending money where it makes sense, and taking a long term view as well. Money allows the organization to do that. The Wilpon's focused only on "what is the least we can do, this year, to maximize profit potential while minimizing risk". That actually leads to bad decisions like Bay for less money over Holiday. Sure, long term they spent less, but they got WAY less bang for their buck and got hosed.

I have a feeling that Uncle Steve is not that type of guy.

• Brian Stark
    commented on 's reply
    Great movie, and the fact of the matter is, in the climate of the world today, that movie could NEVER have been made now.

That is a great shame, we should all be able to make fun of each other and have broad comedy to point out the foolishness of certain beliefs. Can't do that in the hypersensitive world of the 2000's...

• Brian Stark
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you, good sir.

• mjjm367
    replied
    The most important Mets news to come out today. I know that Brian has been anxiously holding his breath, hoping beyond hope that this would happen!!!!!

Tebow is prepping for Spring Training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/tim-te...-baseball-2021

[Insert an explosive response from Brian here]

Leave a comment:

• NY FANG
    replied
    Overall Brian, I do agree with you. But much like a band, there are multiple variables at play. Yes, you can spend a lot of money on a great piece of quality strings, but you still need to have a working van and gas money to get to the venue.

In Steve's case, he wants SUSTAINED success. He doesn't want to be taking simply a single crack and then go into rebuild mode. That means he needs to have a farm system to constantly replenish his system with. If he is constantly trading away minor league talent while simultaneously paying QO penalties that are increased due to being in the lux tax penalty box, then those reserves are going to be bare. And no matter how much money you have, no team can succeed on spending alone. The Dodgers for instance have ALL these guys from their farm performing: Pederson, Baez, Seager, Barnes, Bellinger, Urias, Buehler. Do they win the world series if they don't have these farm raised players? And do they have all these players if they

There needs to be some type of middle ground here. Yes, he should be spending up to the luxury tax on that quality you speak of. Yes he can even occasionally go over the lux tax. No he should not live over that line though due to the increasing penalties. There is a reason the Yankees worked hard to dip below the tax line, last year spiked to 50MM above, and this year are looking like they are below it again. They know the cost of living above it, and it's not a cost they want to pay.

The ultimate goal, as Steve said himself, is a sustained winner.

Leave a comment:

• NY FANG
    commented on 's reply
    nice post - but the part that made me laugh was "Like not even 1% of what he has" which is STILL a rather high bar of 140,000,000.00 dollars. I mean the numbers are just mind boggling lol

• Canadian Mets Fan
    replied
    Thanks for that, mjjm. Love that movie and that is a classic quote.

Leave a comment:

• mjjm367
    replied
    Brian, I've been reading your posts since the old BBS days at PSD ("Nothing like a newbie roast..."). The above post may be the best thing you've ever written. Fantastic.

And, knowing your sense of humor, let me honor you with the appropriate movie quote...

Leave a comment:

• Brian Stark
    replied
    My two favorite quotes.

1. From Uncle Steve:

"I’m a very motivated, very proactive type of guy," Cohen said. "I just don’t sit back and accept mediocrity. We shouldn’t accept just making it to the playoffs. That’s not good enough."

2. From Cousin Sandy:

"I think we now can emphasize the acquisition rather than the cost."

Those were DIRECT, PERSONAL shots at Fred and Jeff. Direct, pointed, and 1000000% correct.

The Wilpon's goal never was winning, it was "meaningful games". WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN, SERIOUSLY? They were looking to turn a profit. I have not one problem with that, but they failed to realize, or didn't care to analyze, or could not afford to execute, the fact that WINNING breeds profit. Especially in a large market. Win, and your attendance goes up. Win, and your merchandise sales go up. Win, and your ad revenues skyrocket.

Sandy's quote is astounding in that it is so freaking obvious that it hurts. Sandy had his hands tied because the owners had to pinch every penny, throw around quarters like they were manhole covers, and keep an eye out for creditors around every corner. This is now gone. If you have talent and we have a need, you are no longer out of the discussion. Not that we will get EVERY guy we go after, some may not want to play here, some may look like a fit on the outside but after looking deeper don't really fit in with the plan, whatever. However, simple money considerations are no longer the first, second, and third priorities. Staying under "budget" is not as pressing a problem. Sure, you don't want to "spend like a drunken sailor" (think EARLY George Steinbrenner and free agency), but maybe a tipsy airman? There is a difference between spending because you have a bunch of money and spending on quality, need, and desire to win.

Steve has a desire to win, and as he stated in the news conference, this isn't his main source of income, he isn't necessarily looking to turn a profit immediately on this endeavor. This is his passion project.

I put it this way. As many of you know, I'm in a band. Now, I have FAAAAAAR less money than Steve. Like not even 1% of what he has. However, my passion project is my music. So, I go out of my way to get things that will enhance my hobby. I went out of my way, for example, to buy a Taylor bass because it would help me do better, is a quality instrument, and has great sound. It is not like my band is making me money, on the contrary it costs more to be in a band than to buy a record, that's for damn sure. But, when I play that bass, I feel great, the audience gets to enjoy a good sound, and profit be damned.

Steve can, on a MUCH larger scale, do the same thing. If the team needs a particular position filled, he can do what he can to fill it. If that means spending a bit more than someone else, fine. He gets the satisfaction of having a QUALITY product, the satisfaction of seeing results (hopefully) on the field, and some day soon (hopefully) raise a trophy over his head and gain the eternal affection of literally millions of people.

Not a bad use of your money if you ask me.

Leave a comment:

• NY FANG
    commented on 's reply
    Only through tears of joy, of course.

• West Coast Mets Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by NY FANG View Post

All hail Uncle Steve!
    Did you ever imagine a day would come when you could cry "Uncle" and it would be a good thing?

Leave a comment:

• NY FANG
    replied
    Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

No, he's going to lower them. And Friday's will be free beer and hot dog night.
    All hail Uncle Steve!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X