X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of spitballing;

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2020/0...led-mets.html/

Comment

• I would be OK with ANY of those on the metsmerized list. Any one.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/AdamRubinMedia/s...83725767688197

Drew's Sig

Comment

• https://twitter.com/DeeshaThosar/sta...00631526612993

Drew's Sig

Comment

• Rob Manfred talks potential approval of Steve Cohen:
            'We would like to move this along as quickly as possible'

'It's up to the owners, ultimately, as to whether Mr. Cohen will be approved'

by Danny Abriano, Editorial Producer
            29 Sep 2020, 3:59 PM ET

With Steve Cohen's approval as owner of the Mets contingent on a vote by the other 29 MLB owners, commissioner Rob Manfred said on Monday that the league is going to try to move things along "as quickly as possible."

"With respect to the (ownership) change, all I'm gonna say on that one is we're gonna try to process this as quickly as possible," Manfred said during the Big Time Baseball podcast with Jon Heyman and Tony Gwynn Jr.. "It's up to the owners, ultimately, as to whether Mr. Cohen will be approved.

"I think given the time of year, we would like to move this along as quickly as possible so that the Mets have certainty as they go into the offseason (and it's) absolutely clear who's making the decisions about how the roster is gonna be put together, what the budget is, and what the 2021 version of the New York Mets is going to look like."

The talk during the sale process was that the approval of Cohen would potentially happen in November during the owners' meetings, but Manfred seemingly wants things done sooner.

With the offseason kicking into high gear right after the conclusion of the World Series (which will be over by Oct. 28 at the latest), Manfred wanting to have things done before then makes sense.

With regard to the pending approval of Cohen, which would mean Sandy Alderson taking over as team president, SNY's Andy Martino reported on Sept. 24 that while the approval is not a sure thing, "the presence of Alderson should create the needed support to win the vote."

While speaking about Cohen on Monday, Manfred also discussed Fred Wilpon.

"Fred Wilpon has been a great owner of the Mets for a substantial period of time," Manfred said. "He's really well-respected among the other owners. Whatever the outcome, the result, nobody wanted to win more than Fred Wilpon. He desperately wanted to deliver a winner on a consistent basis to Mets fans."

Drew's Sig

Comment

• Originally posted by Drucifer View Post
              Rob Manfred talks potential approval of Steve Cohen:
              'We would like to move this along as quickly as possible'

"Fred Wilpon has been a great owner of the Mets for a substantial period of time," Manfred said.

Manfred needs to be subject to the same drug test as the players, surely he is smoking or taking something in order to say that with a straight face. To his credit, he didn't mention Jeff in the same sentence.
              Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 30-Sep-2020, 10:44 AM. Reason: punctuation necessary

Comment

• Latest On Steve Cohen, Mets

by Connor Byrne
                20 Oct 2020, 3:15 PM CDT

Prospective owner Steve Cohen is getting closer to taking over the Mets from the beleaguered Fred Wilpon-Jeff Wilpon tandem. Major League Baseball’s eight-person Ownership Committee recently voted in favor of Cohen, 7-1, Scott Soshnick and Barry M. Bloom of Sportico report. Cohen still has to receive approval from 23 of the league’s 30 owners in order to assume the Mets’ reins, but Soshnick and Bloom suggest that’s a formality.

As someone who currently owns 8 percent of the Mets, Cohen’s already known around the league. He agreed in mid-September to purchase 95 percent of the club for around $2.475 billion, which came after a potential agreement between Cohen and the Wilpons fell through last winter. Since then, though, the Wilpons have endured substantial losses as a result of the coronavirus-shortened season with no fans in attendance, so they became more eager to part with the franchise.

Considering his net worth comes in north of $14 billion, Mets fans are understandably excited to see Cohen on the verge of leading the organization. And if Cohen does receive the necessary approval to succeed the Wilpons in the coming weeks, it won’t be a surprise to see the team make some splashy moves in the offseason after missing the playoffs for the fourth year in a row in 2020. Any of the game’s best pending free agents (Trevor Bauer, J.T. Realmuto and DJ LeMahieu, to name a few) could conceivably wind up on the Cohen-led Mets’ radar over the winter.

Drew's Sig

Comment

• https://twitter.com/DeeshaThosar/sta...12292244217858

https://twitter.com/ragazzoreport/st...26202254536705

Drew's Sig

Comment

• West Coast Mets Fan
                    West Coast Mets Fan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Can you post the articles rather than links? I refuse to pay to read articles on line.

• Mayor Bill de Blasio still 'evaluating' Mets sale to Steve Cohen

If this evaluation stretches into next week,
                  it could delay the vote among MLB owners on whether to approve Cohen

by Andy Martino, MLB Insider
                  23 Oct 2020, 4:19 PM ET

The office of New York City mayor Bill de Blasio confirmed that Steve Cohen’s purchase of the Mets is not yet a done deal.

“At this point the Mayor and his office are evaluating,” de Blasio spokesperson Bill Neidhardt told SNY on Friday afternoon.

If this evaluation stretches into next week, it could delay the vote among MLB owners on whether to approve Cohen as the Mets’ new owner. The Mets are hoping for the vote to occur next Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. But they need de Blasio to move forward first.

As first reported by USA Today, de Blasio has the right to block the sale to “any person that has been convicted in a criminal proceeding for a felony or any crime involving moral turpitude.’’

The company that Cohen founded, S.A.C. Capital, pleaded guilty in 2018 to securities fraud and wire fraud and paid $1.8 billion in fines. But Cohen was not personally charged with a crime, making it unclear what grounds de Blasio would have to block the deal.

Neidhardt did not comment on if de Blasio considered the S.A.C. Capital violations enough to prevent Cohen from buying the team.

MLB officials do not believe that de Blasio will kill the deal, but the situation is causing some consternation among those who want it to close as soon as possible. Executives involved in the sale have been working to figure out how to convince de Blasio to move forward.

Drew's Sig

Comment

• West Coast Mets Fan
                    West Coast Mets Fan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I posted a comment at the end of this article; "given how DeBalso has handled COVID and the social unrest violence I hope he doesn't screw this up too" and SNY deleted it.
                    Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 24-Oct-2020, 08:58 AM. Reason: I added my comment for context

• If DeB were to block this, I would personally drive up the NYC to assist in any rioting that would occur at City Hall.

BLM, absolutely, but MFLM as well.

Comment

• I don't see it getting blocked. NYPost said this today, which sounds spot on.

“It seems like the typical de Blasio thing, trying to get attention in the wrong places,” the source continued. “And stick it to billionaires.”

https://nypost.com/2020/10/26/de-bla...o-steve-cohen/

I don't see them actually blocking it and pissing off millions of constituents for whatever he hopes his next political move is after his presidential bid was utter disaster.

Comment

• Originally posted by NY FANG View Post
                      I don't see it getting blocked. NYPost said this today, which sounds spot on.

“It seems like the typical de Blasio thing, trying to get attention in the wrong places,” the source continued. “And stick it to billionaires.”

https://nypost.com/2020/10/26/de-bla...o-steve-cohen/

I don't see them actually blocking it and pissing off millions of constituents for whatever he hopes his next political move is after his presidential bid was utter disaster.

I agree it won't get blocked, I don't think he is THAT stupid or THAT incompetent. However, there was a report that the owners could get together as early as tomorrow which is now unlikely to happen due to DeBlasio sitting on his hands.

Comment

• NY FANG
                        NY FANG commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I wish I could say he lost my vote - but he lost it a long time ago.

• The NY Post is reporting that the owners will vote on Cohen's purchase of the Mets on Friday:

https://nypost.com/2020/10/27/mlb-ow...o-steve-cohen/

Comment

• WFAN has this:

https://www.radio.com/wfan/sports/me...gate-mets-sale

I hope DeBlasio isn't this stupid.

Comment

• Do you know what is probably going on here? DeBlasio sees an instance where he may or may not have grounds to cancel the deal but in the background is trying to renegotiate the lease to sweeten the pot for the city.

Comment

Working...
                          X