2020 Coaches - Rojas' Coaching Staff Is Now Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saxon View Post
    only the mets can drag out their search for a coaching staff...it's their deflection so that they have an excuse for why they didn't fix center field, the bullpen, the end of the rotation, or overall team defense/speed.
    You are definitely hurting your candidacy for the Mets Morale Coach.

Comment

Mets Have Interviewed Gil Patterson For Pitching Coach Vacancy

by Anthony Franco
      24 Nov 2019, 6:18 PM CDT

The Mets have interviewed A’s minor league pitching coordinator Gil Patterson for their pitching coach position, reports ESPN’s Buster Olney. It isn’t clear from the report, however, when Patterson’s interview took place or if he remains in the running.

Patterson recently wrapped up the fourth year of his third separate stint working with A’s farmhands. From 2013-15, he held a similar role with the Yankees, with whom he pitched his only ten MLB games in 1977. Patterson didn’t have a lengthy MLB playing career, but he’s worked in assorted pitching development roles over the past three decades. In addition to his time with the A’s and Yankees, Patterson has coached for the Diamondbacks and Blue Jays in his career, logging three seasons (2002-04) as Toronto’s pitching coach.

Patterson becomes the fourth known candidate for the Mets’ pitching coach job. Brewers’ bullpen coach Steve Karsay, Twins’ assistant pitching coach Jeremy Hefner, and University of Michigan pitching coach Chris Fetter have previously been tied to the role. In other Mets’ news, the club seems likely to bring in veteran coach Hensley Meulens as Carlos Beltrán’s bench coach.

Drew's Sig

Comment

What a cynical bunch we have here. So going with analytics is the equivalent of losing expertise? I call hogwash.

Data alone is worthless (which I think we agree on)
        Gut feeling alone is antiquated.
        Result: A new breed of gut instinct driven out of data analysis AND visual instinct

I thought the article gave a very apropro example of the curveball. The data said the curve was the best pitch which was counter to other broader data. The coach used the data to better his pitcher. I akin this to a trader who uses quants to read the market to match against the research they have built. Simulated data paired with market research = profit.

All front offices (CEOs) have a direction they want to go, and the management teams below them are a part of that system, hopefully sharing a similar vision. If everyone has their own plan, the team (company) is going to result in failure. so not sure how using the data, and having experts who use the data in place, makes them any more of a puppet than whats happened for the last 100 years.

So cynical...

Comment

Can you trust those lying eyes? In some cases, without a doubt; Say Hey covering CF, Clemente or Maris's RF arms, Brooks covering the hot corner, Teddy baseball taking a pitch a half inch off the out side corner. With the HOF, and immortals seeing is believing, for mere mortals not so much.

Enter the fuzzy world of sabermetrics which when applied to defense is uber fuzzy. Whether using RF, DRS, even Fld % isn't dependable...how many times in the course of a season have you heard Keith "that was an error" disagreeing with the official scorer. Even UZR which is a compulation of Range, Fielding and Arm cannot ever be expected to be full proof...hence the need for the lying eyes and gut.

This may sound off coming from me, because I use statistics to look for matchup advantages in my fantasy leagues and it does work. Perfectly, of course not but home and away splits for pitchers are very reliable....see Caleb Smith at home, German Marquis away or Sonny Gray who as I expected returned to form last season. Sonny didn't have a NY State of Mind...he had a Yankee Stadium frame of mind. 2018 he had home/away splits of 6.98/3.17 and last season 3.05/2.71 and 2.87 overall.

If a dumbass like me can figure some of this out can you imagine what an Ivy League post Grad with a degree in mathematics can do?

Comment

If I'm reading that correctly (which I think I am, but that's certainly a fuzzy feeling), I think we're agreeing.

Nothing is perfect. The guy with his nose only in the books has no street smarts. The guy who grew up on the diamond, but doesn't know his RARs from his elbow, also is missing something. But combine the two. Books smarts and street smarts, you might end up with an advantage... And isn't that the goal when you hire a coach? To give your players an advantage?

Comment

• yogi8
              yogi8 commented
              Editing a comment
              "If I'm reading that correctly"

Don't be afraid, new experiences can be valuable teaching moments. Yes! We agree.

• NY FANG
              NY FANG commented
              Editing a comment
              hold on while I recover from the shock

Mets Hire Hensley Meulens As Their Bench Coach

by Mike Puma
            25 Nov 2019, 10:22 AM ET

Carlos Beltran’s first coaching staff with the Mets will include a former mentor with three World Series championship rings.

Hensley Meulens, who spent most of the past decade as part of Bruce Bochy’s staff with the Giants, has been hired as Beltran’s bench coach with the Mets, an industry source confirmed Monday. The 52-year-old Meulens was the Giants hitting coach when Beltran played for the team in 2011 after he was traded by the Mets for Zack Wheeler. With Meulens as hitting coach, the Giants won the World Series in 2010, ’12 and ’14.

Meulens spent the past two seasons as bench coach in San Francisco and was set to take a position with the Marlins before receiving a call to interview with the Mets. Other known candidates for the position were Fredi Gonzalez, Joey Cora and Jerry Narron. The Mets also spoke to Giants third-base coach Ron Wotus about the position before he opted for a return to the Giants under new manager Gabe Kapler.

Nicknamed Bam Bam for his raw power, Meulens came up through the Yankees organization as a third baseman in the 1980s. He interviewed for the Yankees managerial job that went to Aaron Boone following the 2017 season.

I’ve been known as a great communicator with guys because I speak five languages [English, Spanish, Dutch, Papiamento and Japanese], Meulens said following his interview with the Yankees two years ago. “I like going around the clubhouse, finding out how guys are feeling.

“Sometimes players tend not to give information to the coaches. But you don’t know if their dog died or something. If I coach or if I manage, I go around and ask guys how they’re doing and if there’s any issues. You’ve got to understand as a coach, you’re kind of a psychologist at the same time. Having an understanding as a player and easing a player a bit goes a long way toward getting the player to play.”

Meulens, a native of Curacao, managed for the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic in 2013 and ’17.

The Mets placed a priority on candidates with NL coaching experience, hopeful that will translate into Beltran navigating the double-switch easier in his first managerial job. Beltran was hired this month to replace Mickey Callaway after serving as a special assistant for the Yankees last season. Beltran, like Meulens, interviewed for the Yankees managerial opening two years ago.

Meulens is replacing Jim Riggleman, who spent one season in the job. Riggleman was told in October that his contract wouldn’t be renewed. Glenn Sherlock, the first-base coach and catching instructor, was also told his contract wouldn’t be renewed.

The Mets recently re-signed Chili Davis as hitting coach, giving him a two-year deal. And as The Post reported last month, Gary DiSarcina is expected to return in some capacity (he was the third-base coach last year) to continue his mentorship of the infielders, particularly Amed Rosario.

The biggest missing piece to Beltran’s staff is pitching coach. Former Mets pitcher Jeremy Hefner (the assistant Twins pitching coach), former reliever Steve Karsay and University of Michigan pitching coach Chris Fetter have all interviewed for the position.

Drew's Sig

Comment

A manager...a hitting coach, bench coach and now a pitching coach. Are we ready to address players?

Comment

Mets to Hire Jeremy Hefner as Pitching Coach

Hefner had been working as the assistant pitching coach for the Twins

by Danny Abriano
                26 Nov 2019, 10:48 AM ET

The Mets will hire Jeremy Hefner to be their pitching coach, reports Jon Heyman.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	9614
                Hefner, who worked this past season as the assistant pitching coach for the Twins, was hired by Minnesota as a scout after the 2017 season shortly after retiring from the majors.

SNY's Andy Martino reported on Monday night that Hefner was a "very strong candidate" to land the Mets' gig while also reporting that Gil Patterson was out of the running.

Aside from Hefner and Patterson, the Mets interviewed "rising star" Chris Fetter, who has been working as a pitching coach for the University of Michigan since 2018. They were also linked to Steve Karsary, who was the Brewers' bullpen coach this past season.

The 82-year-old Phil Regan served as the Mets' interim pitching coach in 2019 after the firing of Dave Eiland in June, and it is possible he remains in the organization in a different capacity.

Hefner played for the Mets from 2012-13, but his major league career was derailed due to a pair of Tommy John surgeries -- in 2013 and 2014.

"Hef is among the first wave of players who finished their careers and are really comfortable with this data," Twins baseball operations director Daniel Adler told The Athletic's Dan Hayes last season. "Those guys are going to be better ambassadors for this stuff than we can ever be. There's always going to be something helpful about a person who played to make our research better and communicating to others who may be more skeptical."

Drew's Sig

Comment

who needs players when you have A+ coaching?

Comment

• saxon
                    saxon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Does that mean just below AA minor League coaching or excellent coaching?

• NY FANG
                    NY FANG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll answer this in July...

Mets Hire Jeremy Hefner as Pitching Coach

Hefner had been working as the assistant pitching coach for the Twins

by Danny Abriano
                  27 Nov 2019, 11:16 AM ET

The Mets and Jeremy Hefner are in agreement on terms for him to become pitching coach, reports SNY's Andy Martino.
                  Jon Heyman of the MLB Network reported on Tuesday that Hefner was the choice.

Hefner, who worked this past season as the assistant pitching coach for the Twins, was hired by Minnesota as a scout after the 2017 season shortly after his pitching career ended.

Martino reported on Monday night that Hefner was a "very strong candidate" to land the Mets' gig while also reporting that Gil Patterson was out of the running.

Aside from Hefner and Patterson, the Mets interviewed "rising star" Chris Fetter, who has been working as a pitching coach for the University of Michigan since 2018. They were also linked to Steve Karsay, who was the Brewers' bullpen coach this past season.

The 82-year-old Phil Regan served as the Mets' interim pitching coach in 2019 after the firing of Dave Eiland in June, and it is possible that Regan -- who has been working for the Mets since 2009 -- will remain in the organization in a different capacity.

Hefner played for the Mets from 2012-13, but his major league career was derailed due to a pair of Tommy John surgeries -- in 2013 and 2014.

"Hef is among the first wave of players who finished their careers and are really comfortable with this data," Twins baseball operations director Daniel Adler told The Athletic's Dan Hayes last season. "Those guys are going to be better ambassadors for this stuff than we can ever be. There's always going to be something helpful about a person who played to make our research better and communicating to others who may be more skeptical."

With the hiring of Hefner, manager Carlos Beltran's staff is starting to come together. Hensley Meulens is expected to become the bench coach, and Chili Davis recently agreed to an extension to remain the hitting coach.

Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...63219023745026
                    Drew's Sig

Comment

Mets Add Hensley Meulens, Tony DeFrancesco To Coaching Staff

by Mark Polishuk
                      8 Dec 2019, 5:37 PM CDT

The Mets officially announced their coaching staff for the upcoming season, which included a few new faces in the mix. Hensley Meulens will be the bench coach, confirming previous reports that Meulens was the favorite for the job. Jeremy Hefner’s role as the new pitching coach was made official after news broke of his hiring two weeks ago, while Tony DeFrancesco will join the staff as first base coach.

Meulens has spent the last two seasons as the Giants bench coach, and the previous eight years as the club’s hitting coach. That long stint in San Francisco included a brief period working with Mets manager Carlos Beltran, who played for the Giants over the last two months of the 2011 season. The 52-year-old Meulens has long been considered as a potential manager himself, and was seen as a potential heir apparent to Bruce Bochy, though Meulens wasn’t hired after being interviewed by the Giants this fall. Meulens also reportedly came close to joining the Marlins’ coaching staff this offseason, though he will now work in New York for the second time in his professional career — Meulens’ first five seasons as a player were spent with the Yankees from 1989-1993.

DeFrancesco has managed the Mets’ Triple-A affiliate for the last two seasons, and also interviewed for the big league managerial job before Beltran was hired. DeFrancesco has spent the majority of his 28 seasons as a coach and manager at the minor league level, though he also worked as the Athletics’ third base coach in 2008 and briefly served as the Astros’ interim manager in 2012.

Beyond the new hires and Jeremy Accardo’s promotion from pitching strategist to assistant pitching coach, the rest of New York’s staff will return to their roles from the 2019 season. The returning group includes hitting coach Chili Davis, assistant hitting coach Tom Slater, third base coach Gary DiSarcina, quality control coach Luis Rojas, and bullpen coach Ricky Bones.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Mets Officially Announce Coaching Staff for the 2020 Season

Jeremy Hefner joins as pitching coach, while Chili Davis returns as hitting coach

8 Dec 2019, 6:36 PM ET

The Mets have made their coaching staff for the 2020 MLB season official on Sunday night.

In a press release, the team announced who will be helping out Carlos Beltran in his first managerial season, including the return of hitting coach Chili Davis and the addition of pitching coach Jeremy Hefner.

"We are excited to complete our coaching staff following a very thoughtful and extensive process," Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen said. "Carlos drove this search and prioritized talented coaches who share his player's first vision and complement his skill sets."

Beltran added: "I am looking forward to working with this talented, knowledgeable and experienced group. Each member of the staff brings a unique perspective and expertise that will give myself and all of our players the tools they need to succeed."

Beltran's bench coach will be Hensley Meulens, who was serving in that role for Bruce Bochy with the Giants for the past two seasons. His vast coaching experience should be a vital tool for Beltran throughout the season.

Here's how the rest of the staff is stacked:
                        • Assistant hitting coach Tom Slater
                        • Third base coach Gary DiSarcina
                        • First base coach Tony DeFrancesco
                        • Bullpen coach Ricky Bones
                        • Quality control coach Luis Rojas
                        • Assistant pitching coach Jeremy Accardo

Drew's Sig

Comment

So now that Beltran is gone, who is left as replacement candidates?

Comment

I'd favor Hensley Meulens who spent 5 seasons with the Giants and Bruce Bochy, 3 as the hitting coach and 2 as bench coach. That would give him 3 WS rings or 1 more than the 21 Mets managers.

Comment

Working...
                            X