Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brodie Van Wagenen - What's His Next Move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holding onto Matz because you don't know what you have next season, is like holding onto Jonathon Niese....only "plus" that he has is that he throws with his left hand...

Comment

There are plenty of teams out there that would love to have Matz as a #3 let alone a #5. I am in no hurry to trade him if I were the GM

Comment

Yankees talks just start of Mets’ delicate Steven Matz trade dance

:nypost:

By Ken Davidoff

March 2, 2020 | 8:24pm | Updated WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. —

You’ll discover a fine line between industrious and cute, and the Mets sure as heck best not cross it when it comes to their starting pitching supply and Steven Matz.

Really, the only way the Mets can justify trading their homegrown left-hander would be if they received a starting pitcher of comparable value, experience and ceiling for Matz. At this juncture on the baseball calendar, that sounds about as likely to happen as Joaquin Phoenix winning a cow-milking contest.

Mike Puma and I reported Monday that the Mets and Yankees have discussed the Mets’ surplus and the Yankees’ shortage in the starting-pitching department, with Matz the most obvious tradeable piece at Citi Field, and no harm exists in chatting. Nor in compiling information, as the Yankees have begun to do on Matz in case their internal options don’t come through.

Will a Matz-to-The-Bronx swap actually occur, though? Don’t wager on it, primarily because, as you likely know already, the Mets’ owners remain extremely wary of trading with their intra-city rivals. Secondarily because the Mets can’t match their arms depth with breadth.

Matz pulling up the rear behind Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard, Marcus Stroman, Rick Porcello and Michael Wacha ranks as pretty darn good. Given the casualties registered by the Yankees (James Paxton and Luis Severino) and Rays (Blake Snell) since the new year arrived, you could place the Mets’ sextet in an upper tier alongside the Nationals and the Dodgers, who recently added David Price to their arsenal. Behind that sweet six, however, if injury strikes? Young lefty David Peterson hasn’t pitched above Double-A. Stephen Gonsalves, another southpaw, whom the Mets claimed off waivers from the Twins last November, possesses promise without productivity to date. Utilizing Seth Lugo or Robert Gsellman as openers carries appeal only if two of Dellin Betances, Edwin Diaz and Jeurys Familia bounce back from their lost seasons.

Hence the risk in trading Matz to the Yankees, or anywhere, for, say, major league help on the position-playing side, which the Mets would seek. Don’t make the mistake of railing on Matz for failing to his rookie-year hype. Even this version of Matz, who lost his rotation spot for a few weeks in 2019, provides value. Consider that his 1.9 pitching wins above replacement last year, as per Baseball-Reference.com, tied him with Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Lyles and Adam Wainwright for 43rd best in the National League. That means that if you distributed talent equally across the senior circuit, which features 15 teams, Matz would stand as either the third-best or fourth-best pitcher on his club.

Furthermore, while injuries have become part of Matz’s brand, his total of 314 ¹/₃ innings pitched for 2018 and 2019 place him 22nd in the NL. It’s not easy to find someone to pitch at a level approaching league average, as Matz has in that period (a 95 ERA+), for that many innings. His top competitor, Wacha, for instance, has pitched to a 100 ERA+ over the same period yet clocked only 211 innings. The one Yankees piece that could make some baseball sense for the Mets is Domingo German … just not now. If German, suspended until early June for violating baseball’s domestic violence protocol, can begin his career rehabilitation by owning his abhorrent actions and apologizing repeatedly as well as returning without incident to the mound, then he would become an interesting asset, especially because he can’t become a free agent until 2024. The Mets of course would have to contemplate whether importing German would be worth damaging their brand, all the more so since Matz (a free agent after next year) has won awards and acclaim for his community involvement and character. In a vacuum, though, replacing starting pitching with starting pitching makes the most sense.

Could there be a three-way deal in which the Yankees get Matz and the Mets receive, say, Jeff Samardzija or Johnny Cueto from the Giants, or Mike Minor from the Rangers? Never say never. Much easier written than done, though.

It’s difficult to be all-in and cute all at once. Having built an impressive roster, the Mets had best not outsmart themselves.

The most important line in the article;

"Don’t make the mistake of railing on Matz for failing to his rookie-year hype. Even this version of Matz, who lost his rotation spot for a few weeks in 2019, provides value. Consider that his 1.9 pitching wins above replacement last year, as per Baseball-Reference.com, tied him with Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Lyles and Adam Wainwright for 43rd best in the National League. That means that if you distributed talent equally across the senior circuit, which features 15 teams, Matz would stand as either the third-best or fourth-best pitcher on his club."
        Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 03-Mar-2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Steven Matz Weighs in on Yankees Trade Rumors:
          'It's not something I'm worried about'

'Fake news,' Matz said with a smile

by John Harper
          3 Mar 2020, 10:45 AM ET

Port St. Lucie, FL - Steven Matz knew the question was coming practically before I could ask it at his locker on Tuesday morning.

"What did you think about the Yankees…"

"Fake news," he said with a smile, cutting me off. "It's not something I'm worried about."

Click image for larger version

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	10320Matz did admit his phone blew up after the New York Post's report on Monday of the Yankees contacting the Mets about interest in trading for the left-hander from Long Island, but he said he took it all in stride.

"I understand the New York media and I think Brodie (Van Wagenen) would contact me if anything actually was going to happen," Matz said. "So I didn't acknowledge it much."

As it turned out, perhaps there's nothing to it. In Tampa on Tuesday, Yankees GM Brian Cashman said that he hadn't reached out to any team looking for pitching help in the wake of injuries to James Paxton and Luis Severino.

In truth, it wouldn't make sense for the Mets to consider such a trade. The whole idea of signing Rick Porcello and Michael Wacha was to create some starting pitching depth, since they have little in their upper minors, and trading any of the starters at this point would leave them vulnerable to injury.

Still, the jolt of trade talk added to what was already a bit of a weird spring for Matz. After making 30 starts in each of the last two seasons, putting his string of injury woes behind him, he suddenly finds himself in competition for a spot in the rotation due to the additions of Porcello and Wacha.

At least that seems to be the case, with reports the Mets are looking for ways to be creative in potentially using both Wacha and Matz as starters, depending on matchups. And a team source said "there has been conversation" in the front office about making Matz a reliever, with some liking the idea of having a left-hander in the bullpen.

Matz, for his part, seems to be handling all of this with the right mindset. He didn't take the opportunity to complain when I suggested he'd earned a spot in the rotation, but he made it clear, as he heads toward turning 29 in May, that staying healthy the last two seasons have put him on a course for more success.

"I feel like I had pretty good seasons the last two seasons, but personally I feel like the best is yet to come," Matz said. "I feel like I'm improving every year. So I'm excited about going out and pitching this year.

"I've asked about my situation and they've told me I'm a starter right now, so I'm building up toward that, just plugging along, and I'll let the rest take care of itself."

Matz has pitched to ERA's of 3.97 and 4.21 the last two seasons, and a handful of clunkers in 2019 skewed his numbers a bit in what was otherwise his most consistent season, as he pitched a career-high 160 innings.

So while he may not have expected to be put in a position to compete for a spot, Matz said he's fine with it, in a sense, because he came to camp with a mindset that he wanted to do more than just get himself ready for the season.

In fact, he cited Nationals star Max Scherzer, famous for his intensity on the mound, as someone he's trying to emulate, even in spring training.

"I came in with the mindset that I cared about the results, and not just because there's a competition (for a spot)," he said. "I just think, you hear about guys like Scherzer, he comes in ready to rock. He comes in wanting to challenge hitters, and I think that's a good building block for the season.

"You still work on things, but at the end of the day it helps me to have that competitive mindset."

Intensity has never been a problem for Matz. If anything, he has had to learn how to control his emotion to prevent innings from blowing up on him, but he clearly admires the Scherzer method, even in spring training.

"I've heard him talk about it," Matz said. "I think that's something that could help me be a little more consistent. That's what I want, just a little more consistency."

This spring hasn't been that for Matz. In fact, it was only 9 a.m. on Tuesday as I spoke to Matz, yet he was getting dressed, having been sent home by the medical staff because he has some type of cold or flu.

"Not a good day," he said. "But they'll get better."

Drew's Sig

Comment

With Nolan Arenado Trade Looking 'inevitable',
            Here's Why He is a Near Perfect Mets Fit

Arenado has been unhappy with how things are going in Colorado
            ;sny:
            by Danny Abriano
            4 Mar 2020, 2:00 PM ET

The Mets had trade discussions earlier this season with the Indians about Francisco Lindor and discussions with the Astros about Carlos Correa. Both of those players are tremendous talents, with Lindor offering more certainty and Correa being a player you can dream on.

But while Lindor and Correa would both be franchise-altering additions for the Mets, neither -- due to what it would take to trade for them and the limited team control they have -- is a perfect fit. Mookie Betts could be, but he could easily fall in love with Los Angeles and re-sign with the Dodgers this offseason.

While it's fun to envision Lindor or Correa or Betts in orange and blue, the player it makes the most sense for the Mets to set their sights on is Nolan Arenado.

Soon after rumors about Arenado started swirling in December, Arenado had an in-public spat with Rockies GM Jeff Bridich. While things have cooled down since then, the main issue at hand -- Arenado not believing the Rockies are close to contending -- remains.

And Joel Sherman of the New York Post wrote on Wednesday that an Arenado trade again feels inevitable.

If the Rockies do wind up making Arenado available and he is willing to eliminate the opt-out from his contract as a condition of a trade, the Mets should pounce.

With Arenado, the Mets would be getting a soon-to-be-29-year-old who is elite on both sides of the ball and under team control through the 2026 season.

They would be getting a player who has slashed .295/.351/.546 during his seven-year career while averaging 36 homers, 40 doubles, and just 104 strikeouts per 162 games played.

They would be getting a seven-time Gold Glove award winner and five-time All-Star who has finished in the Top 10 in MVP voting each of the last five seasons.

They would be getting another infield cornerstone to go along with Pete Alonso.Click image for larger version

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	10329

Like Lindor or Correa or Betts, the Mets would be getting a franchise-altering talent. But Arenado -- if he is willing to eliminate the opt-out --would be in Queens through 2026.

As is the case with most players who call Coors Field home, Arenado has home/road splits that are rather stark. His career slugging percentage at home is .615 and just .476 on the road. In 2019, he slugged a ridiculous .645 at home and a still-elite .521 on the road.

While those splits should give any team a tiny bit of pause, it should also be noted that while Rockies players benefit from playing at Coors Field, they are also at a disadvantage due to having to adjust to different air qualities each time they leave the thin air of Colorado to go on the road.

In any event, it's fair to say that any team would rightly gamble on Arenado remaining a beast if he no longer played his home games at Coors.

For the Mets, trading for Arenado would allow them to shift Jeff McNeil to left field and give them the option of trading J.D. Davis to fill other needs or having him on the bench as someone who can fill in at third base or left field. And with Arenado in tow, the Mets' lineup one-through-eight in 2020 could look something like this:
            1. CF Brandon Nimmo
            2. LF Jeff McNeil
            3. 3B Nolan Arenado
            4. 1B Pete Alonso
            5. RF Michael Conforto
            6. Ca Wilson Ramos
            7. 2B Robinson Cano
            8. SS Amed Rosario

As far as what it would it take to make the above dream a reality, that would depend on how much of the money due to Arenado the Rockies would be willing to absorb and the kind of prospects they would prioritize getting in return.

For the Mets, it could likely mean letting go of some combination of Brett Baty, Matthew Allan, Ronny Mauricio, and Francisco Alvarez -- arguably their four most highly coveted prospects, all of whom have blue chip potential.

When it comes to how Arenado could fit financially, that's a different story. And any trade for Arenado or another highly-paid player might have to wait until the ownership situation is resolved. But if Arenado is out there, the Mets need to go for it.

Drew's Sig

Comment

While that line up looks UNREAL, I maintain that if the mets wanted a 250M third baseman, they should have just signed Rendon and saved the prospects. They chose not to, so go with your plan at hand. Giving up a blue chip prospect AND spending that kind of money is insane. It's like Diaz/Cano all over again where they took on 100M in salary. You either take on the high salary or give up top prospects. We shouldn't be doing both.

Comment

• mjjm367
                mjjm367 commented
                Editing a comment
                100% agreed.

https://twitter.com/MikeVacc/status/1293001891048194050

Drew's Sig

Comment

When I think of Brodie Moving Van Wagenen, one phrase comes to mind...

Dead man walking.

If I was Steve Cohen, I would instruct the Three Stooges not to allow this incompetent fool to make one move, period. He is a goner, and the fact that they (the Stooges) couldn't even be bothered to spell his name correctly in their press release speaks volumes about his future, or lack thereof, with the organization.

Hiring Moving Van was an out of the box idea. Sometimes, ideas are better taken from the box. This was a horrific mistake that will have implications for a few more years.

My father always said to evaluate things as Ben Franklin did. Make a list of the good on one side, the bad on the other, and go with the list that is longer.

So, lets evaluate Brody.

The good:

Trading for J D Davis

The mediocre:

Jake Marisnik
                Wilson Ramos
                Brad Brach
                Chasen Shreve
                Jared Hughes

The bad:

The Diaz/Cano debacle
                Dellin Betances
                Michael Wacha
                Rick Porcello
                The Stroman trade repercussions
                Jeurys Familia
                Justin Wilson
                Dealing with Cespedes
                Jed Lowrie

Even if you give partial credit for the decent draft and for the mediocre moves, in balance Brody's trend has been negative. The experiment has failed. Brody throwing, first Manfred, then by extension Jeff, under the bus this week has sealed his fate, IMO. Even his one solid move, getting Davis, is totally negated by the sheer volume of bad moves.

Comment

I doubt that anything significant will happen in Mets land...the only thing that I can picture that the Mets might do is trade for a mediocre pitcher for either the middle innings or the end of the rotation (something that the Mets seem to really wasting their resources with: Quantity over Quality is the Mets motto when it comes to pitching)

Comment

Well, I have to say that the Frazier move seems to have invigorated Pete, Castro looks like he has some potential, and Chirinos looks like a major league catcher.

However, that is only after a week. Who knows what those moves really are?

Most likely, Pete was due to break out, Castro will be a typical middle reliever, and Chirinos is what he is (a good fielding, not much hitting backstop). Brody made moves, but not enough to really impact the future.

Brody's next move?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
                      Brody's next move?

I'm wondering if U-Haul is willing to rent to him...

Comment

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

I'm wondering if U-Haul is willing to rent to him...
                        I guess that would depend on what city/state the U-Haul rental center is in. If it is in NY they may in fact let him use the truck but refuse to take any money from him.

Comment

I'd get the deposit in cash in advance...

Comment

I just noticed that that twit called Kevin Smith a "top prospect"...really? Journalistic sensationalism? Whatever happened to calling him a minor league pitcher, which is what he is until he does something as a standout...

Comment

Working...
                            X