No announcement yet.

Carlos Beltran - Resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love or hate the Wilpons, I'll give them this... Whatever they had been doing wasn't working. They have certainly gone on a different path with the hiring of BVW & now Beltran. Too soon to see results yet, but Year One (2019) was a fun ride. Credit to them for attempting to change it up.

Comment

I am old enough now, to say most people are dumb shits when comes to performing their jobs. Most fake their knowledge and skill rather than truly learn their job. With that in mind, I'm concern about the coaches they hire to assist a rookie manager. In comparison to Callaway, Beltran is supposed to be a sponge in learning. So what he needs are coaches that truly know their job in order to pass along the all the options of doing something and explaining what can happen with each option and then let Beltran chose.

Finding coaches, capable of doing this, is probably a harder task than selecting Beltran. I wonder who will the FO get to help 'em choose?
      Drew's Sig

Comment

The needs are CF and another SP if Wheels walks...doable via trade for the CF and FA for the arm.

I would expect that the BP will bounce back from their systemic collapse...a collective ERA of 4.99, a whip of 1.43, a Sv % of 58 and 31% of inherited runs scored. 1.43 Hr./9. Despite 5 BS Lugo was the sole go to pitcher and that was apparent with 61 appearance and 80 IP. Justin Wilson also stood up who along with Lugo were the only two RPs with an ERA of under 4.6 and at least 20 IP.

Comment

Resign Wheeler (if possible)
          Get a center fielder.
          Get pen arms.

There. Roster solved.

Anyway, Beltran is a good baseball guy, but does that mean he can manage? Who knows. I would have felt better about it if Collins was the bench coach. I do like that Davis was brought back as hitting instructor. That is a good start.

I would like to see Regan back, if he wants the job again. Experience is his strong suit, along with the very apparent close relationship with the pitchers already on the roster. I could understand if HE thinks he is too old to continue in the job, but if he wants it, he should keep it.

Bench coach will be the most interesting decision in the near term, as I think it will be New Year's before major free agents or trades are completed for the most part.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/

Drew's Sig

Comment

Whelp, so much for that...

Comment

With Former Mets Manager Carlos Beltran and Sign-Stealing Scandal, It's Complicated

Friends are hoping Beltran will speak out

by Andy Martino
                12 Feb 2020, 12:14 PM ET

"I almost threw up," the friend said.

Many people around the game maintain a strong affection for Beltran. Even Yankees officials, who have been annoyed about Beltran's role in the Astros' 2017 sign-stealing scheme, have felt that the demonization of their former employee has gone too far.

Beltran has so far refused to comment on the scandal that cost him his job as Mets manager before he was able to begin. He did not respond to multiple text messages from SNY on Wednesday night, after The Athletic published a story about his involvement in the scheme.

Beltran's friends in the game are starting to wish that he would speak out, to add his own perspective to the saga. Perhaps, some hope, that day will come soon.

Yes, Beltran asked Astros employees for a monitor behind the dugout, and was a leading designer of the garbage-can banging scheme that turned into one of the biggest scandals the game has ever known.

But many former teammates and others who know him in the game have a hard time accepting that he would strong-arm any unwilling players into participating. They also note that he was of the strong belief that other teams were stealing signs.

"It's not like he's some gangster who would hold a gun to your head and make you do it," said one person who knows Beltran well.

It is true that Astros manager A.J. Hinch did not approve of the scheme. He began by muttering his disapproval to coaches on the bench, and finally smashed the monitor with a bat. It's also true that Beltran was highly influential in that clubhouse, perhaps more so than Hinch.

Remember, as manager he had not yet won a championship and was best known for a rocky tenure in Arizona. Hinch did not have the stature that he would later attain. Beltran was a highly respected veteran, beloved for his sincere interest in helping younger teammates.

Obviously, that ultimately led to breaking rules, and cost Beltran a job. The Mets moved on in part because they expected more stories about him to emerge, and that hunch has been proven correct.

A common misconception about Beltran is that, after joining the Yankees' front office in 2019, he told the team about what the Astros were doing. According to multiple major league sources, Beltran never said a word to the Yanks about this.

In fact, on the few occasions when his new colleagues would ask him about it, Beltran would shrug it off, make a joke, or quickly change the subject.

As SNY previously reported, the Yankees were caught off guard last July, when then-Red Sox manager Alex Cora appeared to imply in a news conference that Beltran was helping the Yankees steal signs. Cora immediately sought out the reporter who asked the question, Ken Davidoff of the Post, clarifying that he had not meant that.

That didn't prevent baseball fans from using the video as Twitter proof that Beltran was a cheater with the Yankees, too. It's easy to connect dots and make assumptions. But it's also important to be careful.

With Beltran and this scandal, the truth is complex. Hopefully, he will add his voice to it soon.

Drew's Sig

Comment

from the rumors, I don't think that the Yanks are any more squeeky clean than the 'Stros are...they just didn't get caught...there was an article about a week ago that had a former Yankee (I believe Chris Young?) hinting that the Yanks did the same thing...and if they were worried about the '17 'Stros cheating, then why hire Beltran last season? plus, he was a Yankee before the 'Stros...

Last edited by saxon; 14-Feb-2020, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Mets' J.D. Davis 'ashamed' to be a part of Astros sign-stealing: 'It's terrible for baseball'

'I've learned what not to do'

by Danny Abriano
                    14 Feb 2020, 10:00 AM ET

Mets OF/IF J.D. Davis, who was on the Astros in 2017 and 2018, spoke candidly on Friday about his role in the sign-stealing scandal and backtracked from comments he made on the matter earlier this offseason.

"Back in December we had that same question, and I spoke a little bit prematurely," Davis said, alluding to comments he made suggesting he wasn't aware of what was going on in Houston. "I spoke before the MLB or during the investigation. And so again, I was a rookie and I was going up and down the system and I was fighting for my life. MLB called and I cooperated with them. I made my statements. Again, back to the December comment and the interview -- I spoke prematurely."

Click image for larger version

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	10173Asked if he was "embarrassed" by his role, Davis called it a fair question.

"I think not only the fans want the game to be fair. I know you guys want it to be fair as well. You want to cover a game where it's fair to everybody. Again, to the peers as well. And of course, everybody that's part of the 2017 Astros, they feel regrettable about that decision. Looking back, as a young guy being exposed to that in 2017 and looking back now and getting a full season under my belt, of course it's regrettable. You feel ashamed (to be) a part of it. I've learned what not to do and I've applied it to the 2019 season having a breakout. Again, learning from it and getting ready for the 2020 season with these guys."

When Davis was part of the scandal, he was a rookie getting his first taste of the bigs, coming into a clubhouse that had already hatched an elaborate scheme to steal signs using a camera in center field that were relayed to the video room near the dugout, where a trash can nearby would be banged to signal to hitters which pitch was coming.

"Obviously as a 24-year-old at the time I was pretty starstruck with the whole thing of being around some of the veteran guys, being in a big league clubhouse," Davis explained. "Just growing up there through the system. And again, what I've applied as the years (have gone by) and I applied last year. And again, having a breakout season last year and I'm trying to learn from the failures and the success and apply it to this 2020 season. And I'm excited."

While Davis was aware of the sign-stealing situation, the Astros' clubhouse was the first big league one he had ever been a part of, with his explaining that he wasn't sure if what they were doing was the norm throughout baseball.

"Didn't really think much of it going up there fresh, new, being part of the major league clubhouse, among major league guys," Davis said. "Maybe what they did was the norm. I have no idea. I had never been in another big league clubhouse to compare the two. Looking back at the situation, the details of it. It's terrible. It's terrible for the game of baseball."

On the broader impact the scandal had on baseball, Davis reiterated that it was "terrible."

"Baseball took a couple steps backward because of these events and the investigations that applied to it," he said. "Anybody that gets crowned World Series champion, it's not only a big deal but it's a big deal for the baseball world for how they've earned it and gone through 162 games and through the playoffs and everything. To have the incident is very unfortunate for the game of baseball."

Davis said that he saw a little bit of the apologies the Astros gave on Thursday, crediting Carlos Correa with "coming out and owning it."

Correa was one of the only Astros who seemed appropriately apologetic for the situation, and also came to the defense of former Mets manager Carlos Beltran. Still, it can be argued that Davis -- who was a bit player on the Astros in 2017 and 2018 -- has been the most candid and remorseful member of the 2017 Astros so far.

Asked what he regretted specifically, Davis cited being a part of the situation and not being clear about his involvement a few months ago.

"Baseball and the situation of being a part of it," he said. "What I said before early in the questions, I spoke prematurely. I was aware of it. In the big sample size, again what I said before, whoever gets crowned World Series champion has to earn it. It's unfair to the peers, it's unfair to the fans, it's unfair to you guys -- the writers -- as well."

Adding that he's probably worn his World Series ring from that season "once or twice," Davis said he wasn't sure if the Astros would've won it all had it not been for the scheme.

"That I do not now," he said. "They're a pretty talented team. That's a pretty big 'if' question. I really don't know. Their up-and-down the lineup is pretty good and their pitching staff at that time was incredible."

Expected to be the Mets' starting left fielder in 2020 after a breakout campaign in Queens 2019, Davis will now try to put this all behind him.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                    X