Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carlos Beltran - On What Terms Will He Return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Beltran - On What Terms Will He Return?

Sources: Mets Doing Background Work on Carlos Beltran,
    Mutual Interest Between Player and Team

Beltran had bumpy tenure as a member of the Mets

by ANDY MARTINO
    7 Oct 2019, 8:55 PM ET

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Carlos Beltran- as-Mets-manager speculation has now grown legs and turned into an actual story.

Mets officials have been doing background work on Beltran in recent days, trying to determine if he is ready to be a manager, according to major league sources.

Many Mets people know Beltran well from this time with the team; he is particularly close with Omar Minaya and Allard Baird, who was his GM in Kansas City. Now, the Mets are looking into Beltran's development since he left in 2011, both as a leader and a rookie member of the Yankees front office.

When SNY first reported last week that Beltran's name was in the mix to replace Mickey Callaway, we added heavy skepticism because of his sometimes bumpy tenure in Queens. A friend of Beltran's went so far as to say there was "no chance" Beltran would take the job.

But over the past few days, sources have pointed to an increased openness on both sides to Beltran at least interviewing for the job.

"That's all in the past," said one Mets person on the old tensions with Beltran, which originally stemmed from his decision to undergo knee surgery in 2010, against the team's wishes.

In the years since, Beltran became a veteran leader in several clubhouses. He is almost universally respected in the game, and is currently traveling with the Yankees as part of their postseason front office contingent.

Asked if the Mets had requested permission to interview Beltran, a person involved in the process said, "Not yet."

Drew's Sig

I am firmly opposed to Beltran. Best all around position player the Mets ever had. Reportedly was a good mentor his last year on the Astros team.

Last time we had a rookie manager was Mickey. Give me a guy with experience.

Comment

I am not sure who the heck I want. They all have warts. Girardi who seems to be the best choice reportedly does not relate to the young player and that is our core. Showalter wears out his welcome wherever he goes. Another rookie, er I don't know. But what if Beltran is more Boone than Callaway?

Comment

Is boon a product of his payroll and prospects? Or of good managing?

I really like Beltran, and constantly defend that called strike three from a pitcher that was making his entrance to being a top pitcher for the next decade, but 2 years removed from playing, with 1 year FO experience (not even in the dugout)... it's just not the same being on the player side, and being in the war room...

Talk to me in 3 years, but pass for now.

Comment

Carlos Beltran Expresses Desire to Become MLB Manager,
          Makes Case with Mets Job Open

The 20-year veteran outfielder feels ready to lead an MLB team

by GARRETT STEPIEN
          13 Oct 2019, 10:38 PM ET

As the Mets' search for their new manager continues, one former New York star publicly expressed his desire to lead an MLB team for 2020 and beyond, but will the opportunity come in orange and blue?

Before the Yankees played Game 2 of the ALCS against the Astros at Minute Maid Park in Houston, former 20-year veteran outfielder Carlos Beltran expressed his desire to become a manager when he caught up with SNY's Andy Martino on the field.

Beltran, who spent 2005-10 as a Met and slashed .279/.366/.499 with 134 home runs and 493 RBI in 741 games over six seasons, interviewed Thursday for the New York job and turned down chances to do the same with the Chicago Cubs and San Diego Padres.

"I love the game," said Beltran, who slashed .279/.350/.486 with 435 home runs and 1,587 RBI in 1,582 career games. "I love to compete -- I did it for 20 years -- and I feel like I can impact players' lives in a positive way. There's no doubt that, as a manager, you're going to have your moments where you may sit down and have a tough conversation with a player.

"But at the end of the day, I did that as a player. So it won't be that different. I feel that I can bring positive(s) to a clubhouse. I can bring a lot of good things here. I was able to, throughout my career, be able to have good relationships, be able to have good conversations with the players -- and I'm willing to do the same as a manager."

In the Yankees' front office as a special adviser to Yankees general manager Brian Cashman since last December, Beltran said he gained a better understanding of how baseball has changed -- and will continue to do so -- with the analytics-driven trends.

Beltran played for the Yankees in two full years from 2014-15 and started his third season with 99 games before he got traded to the Texas Rangers and finished 2016 there.

After he capped his career in 2017 with the Astros, who won the World Series, Beltran interviewed for the Yankees' vacancy that ended up going to second-year manager Aaron Boone.

"I just retired from the game, the Yankees gave me the opportunity to interview for the job -- I wasn't thinking about it," Beltran said. "So this time around, I feel like I'm more prepared from working in the front office for the Yankees, being able to see where baseball is going, being able to see that the ... value that information has on players and how you can make good decisions to put the guys out there in position to be successful.

"So I feel that I'm in a good position. I know that it experience as a manager is not there, but I have 20 years in baseball, I got to be able to be proactive in the clubhouse, dealing with situations in the clubhouse and being able to work, how important chemistry is in the clubhouse. So those things, I have them down. The managerial situation has to come with opportunity and time to do it."

Other managers have more experience, such as Joe Girardi and Buck Showalter, but Beltran believes he can bring his own ability to the table between reliability around players and a strong understanding of the numbers game increasingly being played by MLB front offices.

"Think about if you're trying to do an investment decision -- you want to have information to make sure you make good decisions, so it's the same thing -- analytics is the same," Beltran said. "A lot of times, I don't like to call it analytics -- I like to call it information. And the players, also, when they hear that word, they're more receptive to receive information that -- what are they doing right, what are they doing wrong and make adjustments, because baseball's about making adjustments."

Drew's Sig

Comment

Latest on Carlos Beltran

by MARK POLISHUK
            13 Oct 2019, 6:22 PM CDT
            Former star outfielder Carlos Beltran has emerged as a popular candidate in managerial searches around the league, though Beltran has only one particular destination in mind. Speaking to reporters (including Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe and Newsday’s Anthony Rieber) today, Beltran said that he was only interested in managing in New York, to the point of turning down interview requests from other teams. It was already known that Beltran declined to speak to the Padres about their managerial vacancy, and he revealed today that he had also passed on a chance to interview with the Cubs.

This leaves the Mets as Beltran’s only potential landing spot if he does indeed make a move into the dugout. He reportedly interviewed for the position last Thursday, though he didn’t officially confirm this during today’s media session. SNY’s Andy Martino notes that the lack of confirmation could have to do with the Mets putting high priority on secrecy” during their managerial search (though several names have already been linked to the Mets job).

Though Beltran has long expressed an interest in continuing to work in baseball after hanging up his cleats, he has been particular about which opportunities he has pursued. It’s clear that his particular interest in remaining in New York has influenced those decisions — beyond his current connection to the Mets’ job, Beltran interviewed for the Yankees’ managerial vacancy after the 2017 season that was eventually filled by Aaron Boone, and has spent the last year working as a special advisor in the Yankees’ front office. Obviously, Beltran has longstanding ties to the Big Apple after playing for the Mets from 2005-11, and then for the Yankees in 2014-16.

Though Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein has indicated he would “have a greater comfort for someone” with past managerial experience, Beltran is one of several potential first-time managers who have been on the Cubs’ radar during their own search. Mark Loretta, David Ross, and Will Venable have never managed at the Major League or minor league levels before, though the Cubs are also slated to meet with a very experienced former MLB skipper in Joe Girardi.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
            X