• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Girardi - His Pros & Cons

Joe Girardi Doing His Due Diligence On Mets

by TC ZENCKA
    5 Oct 2019, 9:06 AM CDT

Joe Girardi does his homework. Whether he’s the right man to lead the New York Mets in the wake of Mickey Callaway’s firing will ultimately be decided by GM Brodie Van Wagenen and COO Jeff Wilpon, but one thing is for certain, Girardi will do his due diligence before officially throwing his hat in the ring.

Girardi began doing his research on the Mets a couple of weeks before Callaway was let go, per Mike Puma of the New York Post. His ability to co-exist with the front office was one of the driving factors of his dismissal as the manager of the New York Yankees, despite having managed them to a title in 2009. If he does return to the bench, whether that be in New York, Chicago, or elsewhere, the foundations of a solid working relationship with upper management will be an important box to check.

The Mets are investigating all of the big names out there on the open market, with Dusty Baker, Joe Maddon, and Buck Showalter surfacing alongside Girardi. Former players like David Cone and Carlos Beltran have also been linked with the position, though we’ve yet to reach the stage of real legitimacy in this search process. Remember, there are no bad ideas in brainstorming.

There are bad hiring decisions, however, and as he enters his second season on the job, this could be Van Wagenen’s one chance to find the right field manager. The Mets have a tall task ahead of them considering the relatively crowded field of contenders in the NL East. The Braves aren’t going anywhere, the Nationals have some free agency questions to answer, but they could very well return as good or better than they were in 2019, and Bryce Harper and the Phillies will enter 2020 with an increased level of urgency after fading in the second half.

Even the Marlins are building towards a future of some significance, though they remain a year or two away. Seeing Girardi helm the Mets for 19 games a season against Derek Jeter’s Marlins would certainly provide interesting opportunities for repartee between former colleagues. Furthering the fun, Miami manager Don Mattingly was under consideration for manager of the Yankees when the role ultimately went to Girardi.

It’s worth wondering whether Girardi’s straight-shooter style is too similar to the recently-departed Callaway, though Girardi’s open communication is perhaps a touch more sophisticated than Callaway, who famously lost his temper with a reporter while the team was in a skid. It’s clear Girardi wants to return to the dugout, and if there’s a spot for him, the Mets or Cubs seem like the most obvious landing spots due to his obvious connections to New York and Chicago, respectively.

Drew's Sig

Pros and Cons: A Balanced Look at Joe Girardi's Mets Manager Candidacy

Significant positives and negatives for the former Yankees skipper

By Andy Martino
    10 Oct 2019, 12:19 PM ET

The most telling aspect of Joe Girardi's candidacy for Mets manager so far has probably been the enthusiasm of his former employers. If the Yankees did not feel a deep respect for Girardi, they would not be boosting him as wholeheartedly as they are.

It's not just Brian Cashman telling SNY's John Harper that he would "highly recommend" Girardi to anyone seeking a manager. It's the many other Yankees officials who, while focusing on their own team's postseason game planning, have taken time to compliment Girardi to reporters and wish him well in the Mets search.

Cashman and others have offered very strong references in private conversations with the Mets, according to people briefed on those conversations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cut.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	9289All of that goes in the "pro" bucket in an evaluation of Girardi, but let's not pretend that this is a simple choice for the Mets. Girardi seems to be the darling of the small portion of fans who have a Twitter account, and the front office itself has been doing diligence on him as far back as May.

But as a baseball person put it the other day when we mentioned that Yankees officials keep praising Girardi: "Oh yeah? Why'd they fire him then?"

Fair enough. Girardi is smart, perhaps even brilliant. He is proven. He is prepared, perhaps even over prepared. He knows how to manage a game, and specifically a bullpen. He has a big heart and a moral compass.

But he also has his detractors in the game, the people who see his intensity and need for control as, well, just too much. There is no question that the Yankees clubhouse burned out on him, and has preferred Aaron Boone -- and that this wasn't a late development in Girardi's tenure.

According to multiple sources with direct knowledge, Derek Jeter and many members of his generation never warmed to Girardi, either [of course, every rabbit hole here is complicated -- Jeter's antipathy could have been rooted in his close friend Jorge Posada's fractious relationship with Girardi.] Point is, Girardi's trouble with players wasn't just a Gary Sanchez issue.

Consider this text from a smart former Yankee that came in, unsolicited, after we reported on Girardi yesterday:

"I've always liked him, and hated the reason he got fired in New York. Listening to him do [the Rays-Astros series on FOX], he's got 'smartest guy in the room' syndrome. He never lets his color partner [A.J. Pierzynski or Jim Kaat] have the last word. Always has to go over the top of them, often with something not very enlightening.

"When he called for the [Willy] Adames stolen base and A.J. said he wouldn't send him, and Adames got thrown out by ten feet, he wouldn't let it go. Can't admit when he's wrong. A 'smartest guy in the room' manager is miserable for players and coaches. You feel like you're always being talked down to.

"That got [Jeff] Bannister, [Clint] Hurdle and [Andy] Green. They all talk the same. They lose the clubhouse and maybe some coaches being that way."

The Mets need a manager who is comfortable with his GM's regular presence in the clubhouse and manager's office. A person who can accept strong suggestions on the lineup from the analytics department. In short, a person who does not believe himself to be the smartest guy in the room, but a part of a collaborative management team.

Some Yankees officials liked working with Girardi, while others found it more challenging. Such is the complex nature of human interaction in any workplace. He's a good person who excels in some areas and struggles in others -- a description that represents the best most of us can aspire to be.

But both Girardi and the Mets would be wise to approach this decision slowly. Is Citi Field the right environment for him? Has he learned from his Yankee firing? Can he and Brodie Van Wagenen collaborate? Does Pete Alonso's fun-loving clubhouse really need a taskmaster?

The answers to these questions will determine if Girardi is the man for this particular job. It's not an easy call.

Drew's Sig

Comment

good read - makes me second guess me "too soon pick" for manager.

Comment

Girardi sounds a lot like Bobby Valentine, doesn't he?

Showalter reminds me of Davey Johnson, I'll take him!

Comment

If I worked a booth with AJ Pieraski, I wouldn't let the buffoon get the last word in either

Comment

Girardi/Showalter both experienced managers who aren't going to screw up the obvious.

I exclude Dusty Baker who had a powerhouse team with the Nats but couldn't get past the NLCS. 22 seasons and 0 WS, 3 M of the Y but none in the past 18 years. Rode the backs of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood to the playoff in 2003 and put them away wet. He may have learned a lesson then, but I believe that Baker's time is past. 70 isn't over the hill for some, but it is for Baker.

With the Mets on the verge of serious contention this, imho, is not the time to turn the reins over to an on the job learning curve manager.

Comment

I was reading some articles from the various blogs...and thought that this fan's comments in a Giraldi thread was funny (maybe even spot on):

Girardi: Can I make my own line ups?
              Jeffy: No
              Girard: Can I at least make pitching changes?
              Jeffy: No
              Girardi: OK then, how many millions will I make as a puppet?
              Jeffy: LOL, millions, get a load of this guy (speaking to BVW) ..... What's NY state's minimum wage again?

Comment

Latest on Mets Manager Candidate Joe Girardi:
                Interviewed with Three Teams, 'all have went well'

The ex-Yankees skipper is on Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen's list

16 Oct 2019, 7:16 PM ET

Joe Girardi stepped away from his post as Team USA's manager for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo because he has ongoing interviews with MLB teams and needed to decide now, the MLB Network and Fox Sports analyst told Mike Francesa of WFAN.

"I was committed to the Olympic team and about a week ago -- maybe even a little bit more -- I started discussing there was a possibility that I wouldn't be able to do it because of some of the things that I was going through interviewing and I couldn't commit because you have to report on Sunday," Girardi said Wednesday afternoon.

The former Yankees manager (2008-17) said that the move was made in confidence of him getting an opportunity to manage a ballclub after he completed his first-round interviews with pending next steps on deck.

"I have interviewed with some clubs," Girardi said. "Interviews are still going on, so I am not finished and I will continue to go through the process and wait and see what happens."

Girardi added that the interviews spanned across three MLB teams.

"I felt that they all have went well," Girardi said. "So it's just some second interviews and going through the process to see what comes to fruition."

Money has not been discussed yet with any of the ballclubs, but Girardi felt confident in his belief that he would get back in the game.

"I really believe that I'm going to get an opportunity," Girardi said. "I do."

Girardi's name has been popular among Mets fans since New York fired Mickey Callaway after two years Oct. 3.

SNY's Andy Martino first reported Oct. 1 that the Mets intrigued Girardi, who wanted to manage again and spent nearly a decade in New York with the Yankees.

Girardi's candidacy has been weighed with pros and cons, including an endorsement Oct. 9 from Yankees general manager Brian Cashman to SNY's John Harper.

However, the Mets are not the only ones with reported interest in Girardi.

The Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia Phillies have also been linked to Girardi over the past two weeks after the two ballclubs fired Joe Maddon and Gabe Kapler, respectively, and entered the hunt for a new manager.

Carlos Beltran, Mike Bell and Derek Shelton have headlined the darkhorse candidates without experience, but outsiders have found the outcome of the Mets passing on Girardi or Buck Showalter difficult to imagine.

Eduardo Perez and Tim Bogar reportedly entered the mix in the past week, too, but Girardi remains one of the top names to keep tabs on while the Mets' search continues.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                X