No announcement yet.

Mickey Callaway - His First Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

an interesting link profiling the Wilpon meddling over time...(not sure how complete it is):

What follows contains no opinion. It is merely a catalog of media reports from publicly available sources, many of which cite sources of their own within the Mets organization. These reports cover…

Comment

That was a very well written article.

Depressing as hell, but comprehensive.

Basically reminds us of all we complain about, and unfortunately, while Fred is 80 and will die sooner or later (not to be morbid or wishing death on someone, don't get me wrong), we'll still be stuck with Jeffy Boy, and he's even worse.

Ugh.

Comment

how long do you think Jeffy waits before he decides to sell and make a profit off of his dad's wormy investment?

I find the Jeff Wilpon wiki page to be full of interesting tidbits:

Criticism[edit]
        Wilpon has been criticized by some for being too much of a meddler in the baseball operations for the New York Mets. In 2010, Joel Sherman of the New York Post wrote, "Let's give Jeff Wilpon the benefit of the doubt here for a moment. Let's say he is not short-tempered. Tone deaf. A credit seeker. An accountability deflector. A micro-manager. A second-guesser. A less-than-deep thinker. And bad at self-awareness. Fine, he's none of these things. But here is the problem: This is his perception in the industry as the Mets try yet again to fix their baseball operations department."[3]

Sherman also cited a baseball executive in regular contact with the Mets, who said, "Jeff is the problem with the organization, and he is never going to realize that. He cannot help himself. He has to be involved. He will never hire anyone who will not let him have major input. He will not hire anyone who does not run every personnel decision through him."[3] An AL executive added, "The only person with a worse reputation than Jeff Wilpon in the game is [Marlins president] David Samson."[3]

In 2009, Peter Gammons told ESPN Radio that Mets GM Omar Minaya "isn't the General Manager. Jeff Wilpon is. Omar's the one out there to take the heat."[4]

In 2003, the team's previous partner, Nelson Doubleday, Jr., told The Star-Ledger: "Mr. Jeff Wilpon has decided that he's going to learn how to run a baseball team and take over at the end of the year… Run for the hills, boys. I think probably all those baseball people will bail... Jeff sits there by himself like he's King Tut waiting for his camel."[4]

Many commentators on the internet and in broadcast media have referred to Jeff Wilpon as "Fredo" Wilpon, after the ineffectual member of the Corleone family played by John Cazale in The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.[5]

In media guides Mr Wilpon stated that he had played in the Montreal Expos system to further his baseball credibility while in fact he was simply signed by the team as a favor to his father and never played professional baseball.

On September 10, 2014, Wilpon was named as a defendant in a lawsuit by Leigh Castergine, the first female senior vice president of ticket sales in the history of the Mets. According to the civil complaint filed by Castergine's attorney, Wilpon repeatedly disparaged her for having a child out of wedlock and then terminated her employment when she complained to human resources.[6]
        Last edited by saxon; 08-Jun-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

You can't seriously be using the above article as a reference. No matter what your view on Jeff Wilpon, even you can tell that is the most obviously slanted piece of drivel since the Metsblog comments section.

Calling that article rubbish is an insult to trash heaps everywhere.

Comment

mj you related to him or something?

That wasn't drivel at all, just an accounting of media reports through the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
              mj you related to him or something?

That wasn't drivel at all, just an accounting of media reports through the years.
              There are a total of 11 paragraphs in the entry. The first paragraph (2 sentences) of the Jeff Wilpon Wikipedia page is his name & the fact that he is Fred's son. The next 9 paragraphs (31 sentences) all have something negative to say. The last paragraph (1 sentence) tells that he purchased an eSports team.

The wiki article is broken into 3 sections. The first section is two paragraphs, the second of which is written with a negative slant. The second section is titled "Criticism" and consists of 7 paragraphs. The third section is titled "Personal Life", and is 2 paragraphs, one of which specifically points out that Jeff does not have a college degree (hey, he also doesn't have a PhD, an MD, isn't an astronaut, at karaoke, and is extremely poor at dancing the tango - why weren't those facts included).

The article itself has the Wikipedia tag where "
              The
              neutrality of this article is disputed
              ". Also, let's consider the fact that Wikipedia is purported to be an online encyclopedia. You know, an encyclopedia, a collection of information and facts. As opposed to say, an editorial. Or a diatribe. Or, an agenda driven hatchet job on the subject. Or, as is clearly the case in this article, drivel.

It seems that I am often in the position of "defending" Jeff Wilpon. I am not. However, I refuse to use the above nonsense as the starting point for an intelligent discussion on the merits and failings of the current ownership group. They are clearly written by a person with an agenda, the same as they were posted and defended by people with an agenda. I get it, you guys don't like Jeff Wilpon. Then say so, instead of hiding behind a such a highly regarded source as an anonymous Wikipedia article written by one of the obviously more thoughtful and intelligent members of the general public. One whose most obvious qualification is "disgruntled Mets fan."

A cautionary note - one of my favorite quotes ever - "Don't believe everything you read on the internet, that's how World War I started."

And for the record, no, I am not related to him. But if I were, I would give him a smack on the back of his head. Clearly, at one point in his life, he kicked your puppy.

Comment

Jeff does not have a college degree (hey, he also doesn't have a PhD, an MD, isn't an astronaut, at karaoke, and is extremely poor at dancing the tango - why weren't those facts included
                I want the facts and more importantly the relevant facts and nothing but the facts

Comment

Originally posted by yogi8 View Post

I want the facts and more importantly the relevant facts and nothing but the facts
                  Clearly, you have never danced tango. How else could you consider one's ability to dance it well as an irrelevant fact?

Comment

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

Clearly, you have never danced tango. How else could you consider one's ability to dance it well as an irrelevant fact?
                    You got me, however this is about Jeff, who not only studied dance with Arthur Murray, but is a dance double for major Hollywood studios, does have an MBA, was accepted for NASA training, but was grounded when they learned his eyesight was 20-25. Women weep when he does his Righteous Brothers medley; Unchained Melody, Soul and Inspiration, Lost that Loving Feeling

All facts but not relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi8 View Post

You got me, however this is about Jeff, who not only studied dance with Arthur Murray, but is a dance double for major Hollywood studios, does have an MBA, was accepted for NASA training, but was grounded when they learned his eyesight was 20-25. Women weep when he does his Righteous Brothers medley; Unchained Melody, Soul and Inspiration, Lost that Loving Feeling

All facts but not relevant.
                      Henceforth, I shall cite this excellent article from Yogipedia.

I like the smiley - obviously a "Y" logo for Yogipedia.

Comment

Working...
                      X