No announcement yet.

Yoenis Cespedes - Second Surgery Schedule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From the 2016 paying him 27.5 M with an opt out I haven't liked Cespedes, that was the season he hit .219/.649 for 10 days before being exposed playing golf while nursing a lingering quad which put him on the DL the next day and removed him from CF for good. The Mets clinched the WC on Oct 1, Cespedes was 0-5 and ducked the press. The Mets lost the WC game, Cespedes was 0-4 and ducked the press.

Cespedes opted out and resigned a 4 year 110 M contract for 2017-20. He displayed his riches by arriving at ST with a different exotic car every day excluding the day he rode a horse.
    The Mets started the season by winning 7 of the first 10 and led the NLE by 1.5 games. Cespedes helped fuel the streak hitting .275/1.175. Unbeknownst to the Mets and their fans the season had just ended. The Mets then lost 10 of the next 11 and found themselves 7.5 games back. Cespedes hit .261/.675, missed 3 games and went on the DL for another 37 games with a L hamstring injury.

Cespedes retuned on 6/10 with the Mets 10.5 games out and hit .298/.863. Too little and too late, Syndergaard was done Familia was suspended. Harvey, Matz and Wheeler missed 48 starts, when they pitched, collectively they contributed a 5.99 ERA-1.61 whip and a 10-21 record.

Cespedes season ended 8/25 with another trip to the DL, this time it was the R hammy. The Mets were 20.5 games behind the runaway Nationals.

Not forgotten is Cespedes' watching Blake Swithart circling the bases and Lags chasing down the ball without moving a muscle in 2015 , or in Gm 1 of the WS sleeping in CF when Alcides Escobar airmails him for an in-side-the-park Hr, a game we lose in the 14th. Catch that ball and tell Harvey to sit down in Gm 5, the Mets are headed back to KC up 3 gms -2 with deG vs Cueto of the 4.76 ERA and 1.45 whip. Nor is the practice of taking plays off by trotting after balls in the OF and turning trips into 2 bags and doubles into base hits.

This season we saw a different Cespedes, no golf, no heavy lifting, more of a team player...running out hits and less of the attention calling antics. He is injured and is owed the time to insure himself that he is ready to play. When this contract is over he will have averaged 27.5 M for the 5 seasons 2016-20. He accepted every dollar that Alderson would pay him. At this point he owes the Mets the best he can provide...when he can provide it and not a moment sooner.

Was he paid to much....take that up with Alderson.
    Last edited by yogi8; 09-Jun-2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi8 View Post
      At this point he owes the Mets the best he can provide...when he can provide it and not a moment sooner.

Was he paid to much....take that up with Alderson.
      Well said yogi.

Comment

That's exactly the point.

NOT A MOMENT SOONER.

He may have been overpaid, he may not have, does not matter frankly. If he is hurt, he should not be playing. For anyone to throw out insults on a guy just exhibits ignorance. Obviously, testing has been done and he has a legit injury. If anyone was paying attention to the history of the team and their medical staff, you would realize that it's not like they have been 100% spot on, 100% accurate, or 100% looking for the best for the team AND the player.

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Hip/hammy/quads are chronic, that's the problem.

Comment

What is chronic is his rotten me me me me attitude

the same one that caused his prior team to get rid of him

Hopefully the Mets announce a Rangers like rebuild and dump Cespedes and about none other "one player away" guys for whatever prospects they can obtain...

Reyes
              Frazier
              Gonzalez
              Bruce
              Vargas
              Familia
              Robles
              Bautista
              Etc

Comment

The only attitude here is yours.

If you can't see someone is hurting, that's YOUR blind eyes.

Comment

Looks like Conforto's trip to the minors just got delayed because of the quad flareup on Cespedes...

The Mets are considering sending Michael Conforto to the minors to help the slumping outfielder regain his swing, according to the New York Post.

Comment

Originally posted by saxon View Post
                    Looks like Conforto's trip to the minors just got delayed because of the quad flareup on Cespedes...
                    I believe the onus is on the front office for where Conforto is at, they should have stuck to the original May 1st plan for Conforto. He should have had an extended spring training to get his stroke down and Conforto might not be the mess he is at the moment. He spent most of the spring rehabbing not doing baseball activities.

They should jettison Reyes before demoting Conforto. The accountability Callaway talked about in the spring does not seem to be handed out evenly.

Comment

"What is chronic is his rotten me me me me attitude" Thor

Do you actually watch the games and follow the team to the degree that lends credibility to your position. I do, and though 2017 I would be in lock step with you regarding Cespedes. If you read my post, you know why I disagree with you now. The Cespedes who stepped on the field at PSL was not the same ballplayer with the attitude of his previous 2+ seasons as a Met.

I am not wishy-washy as far as my opinions, I took a position on Alderson long before most fans and now many are seeing him in a new light. He has been a miserable judge of players, other than the trades in for Addison Reed and 2016 Bruce. It is hard to find any others of merit, and don't suggest Beltran, a future HOF player or the CY RA Dickey trades who collectively added 17.8 WAR to their teams since the trades, or the trade for Neil Walker who replaced Murphy. Walker was paid 27.7 M missed over 100 games and contributed a WAR of 3.6. Murphy was somewhat better and his slash line of .386/.435/.700/1.135 against the Mets was an in your face message for Alderson.

Alderson's record of FA signing is equally poor, Chris Young, Cuddyer- who also cost a #1 draft pick and De Aza...34 M over 4 years.

Thor, I believe if you were in touch with the Mets instead of relying on past impressions you would have a different opinion of Cespedes.

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

I believe the onus is on the front office for where Conforto is at, they should have stuck to the original May 1st plan for Conforto. He should have had an extended spring training to get his stroke down and Conforto might not be the mess he is at the moment. He spent most of the spring rehabbing not doing baseball activities.

They should jettison Reyes before demoting Conforto. The accountability Callaway talked about in the spring does not seem to be handed out evenly.
                        Flores is reportedly coming off the DL soon. At that point, we have too many infielders. I would much rather see Guillorme stay than Reyes.

Likely won't happen now with Cespedes' return, but I totally agree with demoting Conforto. And it has nothing to do with Reyes. Right now, the entire team looks like they are waiting for their impending doom. Would really like to see Conforto away from that for a little, kick ass in AAA, and return with a renewed confidence.

Comment

Sorry, catchinup, but was there anargument that hockey players don't go on DL for strained muscles??? #AlternativeFacts

Said it earlier, say it again, he never should have toughed it out... guywas clearly hurting and it likely made it worse...

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

I'd genuinely forgot about Cespedes he's been out that long.

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                                X