Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mickey Callaway - Of Past Mets Managers, Where Does He Rank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mickey Callaway - Of Past Mets Managers, Where Does He Rank?

Mets Manager Mickey Callaway Safe Through the Weekend

by MATT EHALT
    18 May 2019, 9:54 PM ET

MIAMI – Mickey Callaway is safe -- but maybe for only one more day.

Callaway, the skipper of an underachieving 20-24 team, won’t be fired this weekend, according to team sources. That could change once he gets in front of team COO Jeff Wilpon when the team returns home after the conclusion of this road trip Sunday.

Mickey CallawayThe Mets were listless in their fourth straight loss Saturday, and second straight to Miami, a 2-0 setback that featured just one hit, a leadoff double.

Steven Matz (3-3) allowed two runs in 3.2 innings in his return from the injured list.

I’m coming in tomorrow to manage the New York Mets, Callaway said. I’m going to be enthusiastic about it and continue to lead this team to something special.

Callaway entered this season in that uncomfortable situation where he wasn’t fully on the hot seat, but he knew that he needed to win.

The Mets collapsed after an 11-1 start last year in his managerial debut, and the front office made win-now moves this offseason with the goal of contending. Edwin Diaz, Robinson Cano, Wilson Ramos, Jed Lowrie and Jeurys Familia all joined an already promising group of young position players and standout starters.

The roster’s flaws have been on full display through 44 games, but Callaway seems destined to be the fall man. His team has yet again sputtered after a 9-4 start, and his team has looked listless at times during this easy 16-game stretch that was supposed to save the season.They are 3-4 entering Sunday's series finale.

Callaway has also been criticized for his in-game moves, and his maneuverings have caused some eyes to roll in the clubhouse, per sources.

Wilpon, Callaway and general manager Brodie Van Wagenen held a meeting last Friday during which Callaway's job was not threatened, per sources, but the team has struggled since then. The Mets are currently in third place in the NL East and 5.5 games behind the Phillies.

Callaway, 44, is under contract through the 2020 season.

As a leader, you can’t ever worry about yourself. I’m here, Callaway said. One of the things I told them when I got hired was selfless service is very important to me, and my goal every day is to improve that room, be consistent and make sure our players continue to improve.

If Callaway gets fired Monday, which could happen since that would allow team Wilpon—who is not in Miami --- to be present, this weekend could be what made the decision inevitable. The Mets have managed to turn the woeful Marlins into the Dodgers.

Jeff McNeil led off Saturday’s game with a double, and no other Met reached second base the rest of the game despite facing Pablo Lopez, who they torched for 10 runs in three innings last Friday. On Saturday, Lopez allowed just three base runners in seven innings.

Matz, meanwhile, in his return from the injured list after being sidelined with nerve irritation, allowed a homer in the first, and an RBI single to Brian Anderson in the third.

While teams usually don’t appear energetic while being shut out, the Mets looked particularly lethargic, which has been a problem as of late.

They do not play inspired baseball, and lack fundamentals, ranking last in the National League in defensive runs saved, per fangraphs.com.

In Friday’s defeat, veteran Robinson Cano forgot how many outs there were and did not run out a double play. Callaway chose not to bench Cano on Saturday.

We have to do something to win a game, Callaway said. We have to figure it out, whatever that is. They have to keep on plugging away. All you can do is work as hard as you can and come to play every day. We gotta figure it out.

Firing Callaway won’t solve all the team’s issues since this Mets roster is resembling the third-place team that some projected them to be.

Struggling third baseman Todd Frazier, one of several veterans who is underperforming, noted that ultimately it falls on the players.

While he defended Callaway and said it falls on the players, Callaway has made some Mets folks grumble in his one-plus seasons.

He doing a good job. He can’t go up there and hit, Frazier said. He makes the lineup, he puts the guys in at the right time, and we’re not producing.

Safe at least for another day, Callaway will try to inspire his troops Sunday and avoid being the first team in baseball to be swept by the Marlins this year.

They’re already just the second team in 15 series to drop a set to Miami, and it falls on Noah Syndergaard to avoid an embarrassing result Sunday.

The heat is on, but Callaway is doing what he can to downplay it.

I don’t think anything is a must-win until Game 7 of the World Series, Callaway said. We’re going to continue to plug away, and go out there and play the game the right way.

Drew's Sig

Mets' Mickey Callaway Says He Can't Worry About Himself Amid Firing Speculation

by MEGAN ARMSTRONG
    19 May 19 2019

The New York Mets have stumbled to 20-24, but manager Mickey Callaway isn't tripping over speculation he might be fired.

"I'm coming in tomorrow to manage the New York Mets, and I'm going to be enthusiastic about it, and I'm going to continue to lead this team to something special," Callaway told reporters Saturday after the Mets lost 2-0 to the MLB-worst Miami Marlins for their fourth straight loss.

"As a leader, you can't ever worry about yourself," the second-year Mets manager continued. "I'm here. One of the things I told them when I got hired was selfless service is very important to me, and my goal every day is to improve that room, be consistent and make sure our players continue to improve."

According to Yahoo Sports' Matt Ehalt, Callaway is set to meet with Mets COO Jeff Wilpon when the team returns to New York after Sunday's game. The two met along with general manager Brodie Van Wagenen last week, and Ehalt reported that Callaway's job was not threatened during that meeting.

https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/

A four-game losing streak, including two lethargic losses to the 12-31 Marlins, could change that.

https://twitter.com/michaelgbaron/status/

According to Mets third baseman Todd Frazier, though, Callaway is not to blame.

"It's not a question for me," Frazier said Saturday, per ESPN.com. "I think he's doing a great job. He can't go up there and hit. He makes the lineup, he puts the guys in at the right time, and we're not producing."

Frazier's opinion isn't widely shared, as SNY's Andy Martino received texts from anonymous veteran evaluators, executives and former players describing the Callaway-led Mets as "listless," "no energy," "something missing," "pathetic" and, the most telling, "something needs to change."

"Perhaps bench coach Jim Riggleman could change the tone," Martino wrote, "mentoring the up-and-coming Luis Rojas, a young coach who many see as a future manager. If the Mets need an interim skipper, Riggleman is the most obvious choice. But as one baseball person put it, elevating Riggleman would make it look like the Mets hired him for that exact purpose, rather than to mentor Callaway."

Callaway is under contract through 2020, so should he be let go, the Mets would be paying two managers. However, first-year GM Van Wagenen was brought in to turn the franchise around—not passively watch on as it sinks even further.

The Mets made noise in the offseason by signing 2018 National League Cy Young Award winner Jacob deGrom to a five-year, $137.5 million extension and executing a blockbuster trade with the Seattle Mariners for Robinson Cano and Edwin Diaz.

The organization looks on track now to make in-season noise for all the wrong reasons.

Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/
      Drew's Sig

Comment

I really like the guy...but this team is going nowhere fast...maybe it's time to fire the bullpen catcher to get the offense going

Comment

There's no if, but only when.
          Drew's Sig

Comment

It rarely has as much to do with the manager as it seems, but sometimes you have to do the easiest thing to change momentum. There's a message of "we're in win NOW mode and that means producing in real ways" Sure there are good stories this year like Alonso and McNeil, but there's WAY too little from too many places. It's insane to expect deGrom to be as incredible as he was last year and for the rotation to be 3 Cy Young candidates, but part of the problem is that there's an over-reliance on just that. The Cano attitude seems to be pervasive and you need a strong manager to overcome that.

Comment

Originally posted by saxon View Post
              I really like the guy...but this team is going nowhere fast...maybe it's time to fire the bullpen catcher to get the offense going
              Wait a minute here, the bullpen catcher is a better hitter than Nido.

Comment

Did he receive the kiss of death? . . . .

https://twitter.com/genymets/status/
                Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/NYDNSports/status/
                  Drew's Sig

Comment

Brodie Van Wagenen Gives Mickey Callaway Vote Of Confidence

by CONNOR BYRNE
                    13 Jul 2019 at 1:28 AM CDT

A bleak season atop the Mets’ dugout continued Friday for second-year manager Mickey Callaway. His club opened the second half of the season with yet another forgettable performance in an 8-4 loss to the Marlins – the lone National League team with a worse record than New York’s. The Mets are an abysmal 40-51 after their latest defeat, but general manager Brodie Van Wagenen informed Tim Healey of Newsday and other reporters beforehand that he “absolutely” expects Callaway to stay on through the season.

“Mickey has done a difficult job very well,” said Van Wagenen, who added he’s “very satisfied” that Callaway “shows up to work every day with a passion to win and a desire to work and get better.” He also lauded Callaway for the way he has kept the clubhouse together during what “has not been an easy year for us.”

This is the second time this season that Van Wagenen has issued Callaway a public vote of confidence. The executive did the same back on May 20 in response to reports suggesting Callaway was on the hot seat. There have been some obvious changes to the Mets’ circumstances since then, though. For starters, while the Mets’ record was a subpar 21-25 when Van Wagenen came out in support of Callaway two months ago, they were still a manageable three games back of the National League East lead. But the Mets have continued their downward spiral dating back to then, having gone 19-26. They’re now an insurmountable 14 1/2 games back of the division-leading Braves and a potentially out-of-reach seven behind a wild-card spot.

Off the field, we’re only a week removed from Van Wagenen unleashing a tirade at the expense of the Mets’ coaching staff. Disgusted with another loss, Van Wagenen reportedly “lashed out” at the coaches, threw a chair and ordered Callaway to go conduct his “[expletive] press conference.”

It wouldn’t have been unreasonable a week ago to believe Callaway would lose his job this season. Now, if we’re to believe Van Wagenen, that’s not going to happen. Whether the Mets keep or fire Callaway, they have a multitude of other problems Van Wagenen will somehow need to fix in order for the team to escape the league’s cellar.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Poll: Should The Mets Replace Mickey Callaway This Fall?

by JEFF TODD
                      24 SEP 2019, 12:55 PM CDT

Mets manager Mickey Callaway has been on a warm seat for a good bit of his tenure. The temperature has gone up and down at various points, but has never fully cooled — even as GM Brodie Van Wagenen offered near-term support for the skipper. After a disappointing season featuring good-but-not-great results following significant roster investments, should the team move on?

When we asked back in June whether the Mets should dump Callaway in the middle of the season, two-thirds of respondents were in favor. The club sank further from that point but then bounced back and will likely finish the season with a winning record. But the postseason won’t happen barring a total miracle. (Current odds, per Fangraphs: 0.3%.)

It’s awfully difficult to blame Callaway entirely for the way things have gone. Injuries and lack of roster depth in key areas have hurt. Not all of the baseball operations decisions have worked out as hoped. The bullpen has been a mess beyond Callaway’s control, even if his management of it hasn’t always been optimal. He has at least held things together through an undeniably difficult stretch. And he’s already under contract for 2020 with an option for another season.

On the other hand, Callaway has now been at the helm for a pair of seasons without a postseason appearance to show for it. He wasn’t hired by Van Wagenen, for what that’s worth. There’s year-to-year improvement in terms of wins and losses, but it’s also fair to wonder whether the overall mix is one that will allow the Mets to break through in a tough division. Roster maximization is always the key, but there’s an argument that a makeover in the dugout leadership would be a sensible accompaniment for some other offseason changes — if only to instill a sense of urgency. There are some venerable former managers out there in search of new gigs, with more potentially soon to join them.

In the unlikely event that the Mets somehow sneak into a Wild Card spot, it seems fair to presume that Callaway will be safe. But if the season ends in the manner it’s likely to — nice try, but falling short — what ought the organization do?

(Poll link for app users.)

Drew's Sig

Comment

I guess it depends on who is available, and interested in managing the Mets...IMO, Joe Giraldi would be a great fit....he's handled the pressures/expectations of NYC media...and being a former defensive minded catcher, he likely has a better plan for keeping his pitchers focused than our former pitching coach manager has...

I would also be interested in Joe Maddon...

however, I don't want another pie in the sky project manager like the Mets seem to like...realistically, the Mets have had shit managers since they fired Davey Johnson...

Comment

They'll do it quietly in the off season. Think during nlds or so.

Comment

the thing is...Callaway could be helpful to the organization, but would he stay in another role? He's still under contract...

Comment

I'm thinking that if the Mets replace Callaway, it is the same as if they release a player under contract. He gets paid, but is under no further obligation to the team.

If I'm him, and you fire me with pay -- See ya!, Thanks for the memories (and the cash).

I'm sure he will have opportunities elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X