Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 June Draft - Will Draft Strategy Payoff Long Term?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLB Draft Signings: 6/16/19

By Mark Polishuk | June 16, 2019 at 2:58pm CDT
    Here’s a look at the latest noteworthy draft signings, with the newest moves at the top of the post. Click here for the full list of slot values and draft pool bonuses, and you can find prospect rankings and scouting reports from Baseball America’s Top 500, Fangraphs’ Top 200, MLB.com’s Top 200, and the Top 50 of ESPN.com’s Keith Law….
    • The Mets have agreed to a deal with second-round pick Josh Wolf, Yahoo Sports’ Matt Ehalt (Twitter links) reports, that will be finalized when Wolf passes a physical. Wolf will land a $2.15MM bonus, well above the 53rd overall pick’s slot price of $1,370,400. The Mets drafted mostly college seniors among their top ten picks and have agreed to far below-slot contracts with several of them, creating bonus pool space for tougher signs like third-rounder Matthew Allan and his fellow high school right-hander in Wolf. The 18-year-old throws a plus curveball, and also saw a big velocity jump in his senior year that put his fastball consistently in the mid-90’s. MLB.com ranked Wolf 36th on its prospect list, with Law (46th), BA (54th) and Fangraphs (60th) also showing strong regard for former Texas A&M commit.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ngs-61619.html
    The Mets went over slot on the #2 pick Josh Wolf. That probably puts into question whether or not they can sign #3 pick Allan.

Comment

just saw that as well... and had the same thought.

Comment

posted this on the board, but will make it more succinct here.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/tracker/all/team/mets

using this - The mets have a total slot budget of 8.2M. As of now, they have spent 6.1M. This leaves 2.1M available for their 3rd rounder (who wants 3M) and their 4th rounder (w/ 487K)

Going to be really tough to sign Allen if he holds true to his 3-4M demand.

All we can hope for is that 1.6M is nothing to sneeze at, and he might end up saying that the guaranteed money now is worth more than the risk of a few million more in the future that comes with chance of injury, miles of wear and tear, and the fact that 1.5M is already the equivalent of a 2nd round pick.

We'll see.

Comment

• yogi8
          yogi8 commented
          Editing a comment
          The Mets can still go over the slot money, but would be subject to a 75% penalty. Stiff penalty, but M Allen was thought to be first round worthy except for the commitment to Tex. U. Of the first rounder's ( 6 of the first 11) that have already signed higher than Baty- all have signed for a higher $$$ including 3 4 yr. seniors, with the 3 HS signings at 7 + - 5 + M.

Paying Allen 3 M with a penalty would still appear to be a budget move.

• NY FANG
          NY FANG commented
          Editing a comment
          They might be tempted as long as it doesn't cost them a pick. How much over the slot before the pick is lost.

Mets reportedly signed the guy that was supposedly un-signable...
        The Mets have an agreement in place with third-round Draft pick Matthew Allan, according to a report Wednesday from MLB Network insider Jon Heyman. The team hasn't confirmed the report. If the Mets can sign Allan, it would be a huge get. The 18-year-old right-handed pitcher was ranked as a

Comment

Wow, that's pretty amazing if they did make the Allan signing. It would make this draft very worthwhile overall.

Comment

Mets, Matthew Allan Agree To Terms
            By Steve Adams | June 28, 2019 at 8:35am CDT

June 28: Allan will sign his contract today, Heyman tweets. He’s expected to receive a $2.5MM signing bonus.

June 26: The Mets are in agreement on a deal with third-round selection Matthew Allan, reports Jon Heyman of MLB Network (via Twitter). Allan had been considered a first-round talent who came with some signability issues, so the Mets have likely promised the high school righty a bonus that is considerably higher than his $668K slot value in order to forgo his commitment to Florida. Notably, MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo tweets that Allan has yet to take his physical.

Heading into the draft, Allan ranked as the No. 11 prospect in the draft, per ESPN’s Keith Law. MLB.com’s top 200 listed Allan at No. 13, while he was 16th on the top 500 over at Baseball America and 20th at Fangraphs. Law called Allan the best high school pitcher in this year’s draft, praising him for a 92-95 mph fastball and a curveball that is already regarded as a plus pitch. MLB.com’s report notes that Allen’s changeup took a step forward this season as well, giving the 6’3″, 210-pound righty the potential for a third above-average offering.

The Mets saved about $470K on top pick Brett Baty but also went considerably over slot in giving second-round pick Josh Wolf a $2.15MM bonus when his slot value was roughly $1.37MM. However, the Mets selected college seniors in each of the fourth through tenth rounds of the draft, leaving them a considerable bit of cash to allocate to Allan. Each received bonuses of $20K or less, and while that leaves New York with a topheavy draft class, they’ll come away with a pair of players who were widely considered to be among the 20 best talents available. Obviously, there’s plenty of variance in all MLB draftees — high schoolers in particular — so the Mets are taking a fairly high-risk approach in so aggressively frontloading their draft resources to secure this trio of prep stars.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...t-florida.html
            It will be interesting to see how this draft actually pans out. It seems like the Mets have had better results in the later rounds over the years

Comment

I personally think the best move we made in the offseason was bringing in Allard Baird. If the Mets are finally putting it all together 5 years from now, it might be his doing...

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

It will be interesting to see how this draft actually pans out. It seems like the Mets have had better results in the later rounds over the years
                How do you figure that? I searched through the last 10 or so years of developed draft classes - and with the exception of DeGrom, Murphy and hopefully McNeil, we've haven't had a whole lot of success. Compare that to guys who have had MLB contributions or had value as trade bait like:

Klenic - trade bait (1st)
                Justin Dunn - Trade Bait (1st)
                Alonso (2nd)
                Conforto (1st)
                Dom Smith (1st)
                Nimmo (1st)
                Fulmer - Trade Bait - (1st)
                Matt Harvey (1st)
                Steve Matz (1st)

I'd say I'd rather take the gamble on another 1st round talent than on 7 that talent scouts didn't think much of.

Comment

Yeah, I agree. For every Piazza that makes it and gets all this press for being overlooked most MLB regulars are early-round picks. They've done a lot wrong this year but I like the idea of getting more top talent in the draft through being aggressive. It also fits in well with the direction major league contracts are going.

Comment

https://twitter.com/genymets/status/
                    Drew's Sig

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post

How do you figure that? I searched through the last 10 or so years of developed draft classes - and with the exception of DeGrom, Murphy and hopefully McNeil, we've haven't had a whole lot of success. Compare that to guys who have had MLB contributions or had value as trade bait like:

Klenic - trade bait (1st)
                      Justin Dunn - Trade Bait (1st)
                      Alonso (2nd)
                      Conforto (1st)
                      Dom Smith (1st)
                      Nimmo (1st)
                      Fulmer - Trade Bait - (1st)
                      Matt Harvey (1st)
                      Steve Matz (1st)

I'd say I'd rather take the gamble on another 1st round talent than on 7 that talent scouts didn't think much of.
                      I sit and type corrected.
                      Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 03-Jul-2019, 05:22 PM. Reason: As I sat and typed corrected I had to correct what I typed.

Comment

Working...
                      X