• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff McNeil - The Hitting Machine Gets Hurt

Jeff McNeil is Unstoppable Right Now: ‘Dirtbag baseball,’ Ted Williams Comp

by GREG JOYCE
    1 May 2019; 4:31 AM ET

After he had dove into first base successfully — both by reaching safely and without injury — Jeff McNeil took off his helmet and yelled into the Mets dugout.

The man called Squirrel by his teammates was just being a pest again.

A perfect drag bunt that scored Juan Lagares from third base in the third inning Tuesday night was only the latest feat from McNeil, who turned in a four-hit night in the Mets’ 4-3 walk-off win over the Reds in 10 innings at Citi Field.

He came in and said, ‘That’s Dirtbag baseball,’ manager Mickey Callaway said, referring to McNeil’s alma mater, the Long Beach State Dirtbags.

That was probably the definition of it right there, McNeil said. That’s how I was taught to play the game and that’s how I’m always going to play the game.

McNeil’s 4-for-5 night sent him into May batting .370 with a .957 OPS in 28 games, trying to further prove that his strong rookie stint last year was no fluke. His four-hit effort was the fifth of his career and he now has 13 multi-hit games this season.

He looked like Ted Williams out there, Pete Alonso said.

McNeil nearly won it in the 10th inning, but he hit the ball too hard to drive in J.D. Davis from second base. His single to right field was a bullet, forcing Davis to stop at third with no outs, but it set the table for Alonso to end it on a sacrifice fly.

In the eighth inning, McNeil ripped a double to the right-field corner and came around to score on Michael Conforto’s single — which proved to be the tying run after Jeurys Familia blew the 3-1 lead in the ninth.

But his most unique hit came in the third inning on the drag bunt. McNeil had first tried on a 1-0 count, but it went foul. Callaway saw McNeil staring down at first base after the foul, but first baseman Joey Votto never moved in, so he tried it again. It drew Votto off the bag, forcing pitcher Luis Castillo to cover, but he and the throw did not get there in time to beat McNeil’s dive.

I saw them align there [Monday] and I told [hitting coach] Chili Davis today, if I get a good opportunity to do it with a guy on third base, I’m going to do it, McNeil said.

They defended that as well as they possibly could and he still got a hit, Callaway said. He knew that, that’s why he tried it. Unbelievable.

Drew's Sig

https://twitter.com/mikemayerMMO/status/
    Drew's Sig

Comment

Jeff McNeil reminds me of a kid who tags along behind his brother to the local baseball field. Just happy to be there, and the older kids keep choosing him when picking sides because the damn kid just plays too well.

He has become the current "house favorite" (selected by Mrs. mjjm & me), replacing Wilmer.

Comment

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post
        Jeff McNeil reminds me of a kid who tags along behind his brother to the local baseball field. Just happy to be there, and the older kids keep choosing him when picking sides because the damn kid just plays too well.

He has become the current "house favorite" (selected by Mrs. mjjm & me), replacing Wilmer.
        It's hard not to like a guy that hustles all the time and does all the little things to be a gritty player.

Comment

IMO, McNeil is the ideal #2 hitter...lefty with good bat control to protect a speedy leadoff hitter while on base...doesn't have a high swing/miss rate...

Comment

Agreed, but until Nimmo comes out of his funk, we don't have another leadoff hitter

Comment

It's hard not to like a guy that hustles all the time and does all the little things to be a gritty player.

Indeed, a high BA and OBP...all dependent on the middle of the order to develop his value. Players who over the past two weeks have disappeared. Alonso .192, Nimmo .154, Cano .219, Ramos .132 and Conforto .162.

Comment

Latest Injury Updates on Jeff McNeil:
                Placed on IL, but Brodie Van Wagenen 'encouraged' by MRI Results

McNeil injured his hamstring on Tuesday night

by DANNY ABRIANO
                14 Aug 2019, 4:40 PM ET

Aug. 13, 10:56 PM:
                McNeil pulled up lame while trying to leg out an infield hit while leading off the nitnh inning against the Braves.

After the game, McNeil said he felt his hamstring tighten up before making his final stride for the first base bag.

"I didn't feel it pop," McNeil explained. "I felt a little snag. Nothing crazy. I guess we'll see where it is in the morning. ... Hopefully, maybe it's just a cramp that I felt, but I guess we'll see."

Aug. 13, 10:56 PM:
                McNeil pulled up lame while trying to leg out an infield hit while leading off the ninth inning against the Braves.

After the game, McNeil said he felt his hamstring tighten up before making his final stride for the first base bag.

"I didn't feel it pop," McNeil explained. "I felt a little snag. Nothing crazy. I guess we'll see where it is in the morning. ... Hopefully, maybe it's just a cramp that I felt, but I guess we'll see."

Aug. 14, 10:58 AM:
                Triple-A Syracuse INF Ruben Tejada is meeting the Mets in Atlanta as insurance in case the team needs to place McNeil on the IL, SNY's Andy Martino confirmed.

Tejada, 29, is hitting .337/.412/.486 with six homers in 73 games this season.

He last played in the majors in 2017 and last played in the majors for the Mets in 2015.

Aug. 14, 12:40 PM:
                The MRI on McNeil's hamstring revealed only a mild strain, reports MLB.com's Anthony DiComo.

According to DiComo, the Mets expect McNeil to be able to return in 10 days.

SNY's Andy Martino confirmed that McNeil has been placed on the IL (with Ruben Tejada activated), and that there is "initial optimism" about McNeil's potentially quick return.

Aug. 14 3:59 PM:
                As expected, the Mets officially placed McNeil on the 10-day IL, with Ruben Tejada replacing him on the 25-man roster. Meanwhile Jacob Rhame was transferred to the 60-day IL and will not return to the mound this season.

Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen addressed McNeil's situation before Wednesday's game.

"Very low-grade (strain), so we hope that he can progress quickly and get back on the field," Van Wagenen said.

"It's the same leg (that he injured earlier this season). Hard to compare the two. I think he came back in 11 or 12 days the last go round. Always hard to say until a guy starts progressing with activity, but we were encouraged by the MRI that we'll get a quick turnaround like last time."

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                X