Pete Alonso - Rookie Sets Mets Season Home Run Record

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Alonso - Rookie Sets Mets Season Home Run Record

I maintain the Mets are idiots... but that said...

This kid sure is fun to watch swing a bat!

He really is. I missed a lot of yesterday's game while watching the NCAA tournament games (which were incredible) but I'd check in and make sure I caught Alonso every time he got up. We've definitely got a hitter on our hands, and his fielding is looking at least ML-passable. He's making this season that much more exciting.

POLAR BEAR!

Comment

he gets to the bag and can cover the throws. Anything that requires range I'm less than impressed.

I remember one ball during (I think it was Saturdays game) that I thought should definitely the 1B would have a chance on. And he didn't even make an attempt...

I think he'll make up for it if he can maintain the adjustments to become a true MLB hitter (which I think he can), but let's call it for what it is... and that's certainly not Keith Hernandez out there

Comment

Oh definitely not, and there will be hits that frustratingly sneak through on the right side all season. It seems he could have a little potential to improve with some coaching.

Comment

For a short while we all liked Ike with the unanimous concession that 1B was locked down for the next decade. Maybe this time it will be true.

Never the less Alonso is already, faults included, a major upgrade over the motley crew that manned 1B last season; Flores, Adrian on his last legs, Bruce and Dom Smith. Everyone defensively below average and every one offensively below average. 28th in OPS and 22nd in Fld. %.

Comment

this isn't me - but I have this t-shirt buried somewhere in my closet :/

Comment

• jeffmetsfan
              jeffmetsfan commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the same shirt! I only got to wear it like 5 times before he sucked and was no longer a Met...

I think that is Ike. I believe that Saxon is a huge Ike fan, had a whole room dedicated to Davis...memrobillia, pictures, candles etc. May have even stalked him to the point that Ike had to get an order of protection. I think he modeled it after my Murphy room. lol

Comment

ha, I think you're right (about Ike, and the room)...

my buddy got his dad a father's day gift of a two baseball mantle piece with Keith signed ball in one and Ike the other... the past and the future... oops.

Comment

I was also Team Ike, which was obviously the wrong team. Great fielder and he seemed to have a solid swing. Alas, his performance sure tailed off fast.

Alonso couldn't be more different than Keith, but could really fill a need here if he becomes the major league power hitter he's shown the potential to be. 10 years is asking a whole lot but I'd take having a rock at 1B for the next few seasons and work from there.

Comment

• jeffmetsfan
                  jeffmetsfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And if the NL adopts the DH, he's the perfect designated hitter.

• Thomasam
                  Thomasam commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hate to admit that I was also thinking that. I don't want it to happen but obviously if it does...

I'm happy to enjoy what he's giving us now and not think too far into the future.

I thought Ike had the chance for above average power in the majors but he slumped and had a shitty string of injuries and hard luck. Shame.

Comment

They really should not have rushed the poor kid...ever since he's faced the intimidating Max Sherzer, he's just so over-matched that he can't even pull the ball anymore...just a punching-judy opposite field hitter anymore...

Comment

• NY FANG
                    NY FANG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    such a cop out. It's desperate business. The RedSox are holding down their can't miss prospect... is it because they are cheap too? Or is Moreland THAT GOOD at 1B that they couldn't use the upgrade?

• saxon
                    saxon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    the Red Sox have the best offense in the AL, play in the weakest division and baseball, and don't play Yankees (who are the only team that isn't a joke in their division) until the 2nd half of April....it's a totally different situation than a weak hitting team that is over the top lefty in one of the most competitive divisions in baseball, that also plays 16 of its first 18 games in their own division (with the bulk of those games being against the Nats/Barfs/Phils)...and also, in "6 years", the Mets probably won't have both Wheeler and Thor to complement deGrom, because of course, the Wilpatz won't be able to afford all 3 starting pitchers regardless of what they do with Alonso...the time is now for this pitching staff
                    Last edited by saxon; 02-Apr-2019, 05:54 PM.

• NY FANG
                    NY FANG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    is shortsighted thinking like that which has gotten the Mets into this mess of a weak farm and FA dependence. How about we make some smart moves to break the cycle and get the most out of our assets?

9th inning

Dom Smith - "Cool, lead off pinch hit and I score the go ahead run".

Pete Alonso - "Hold my beer".

Comment

• NY FANG
                    NY FANG commented
                    Editing a comment
                    lol - awesome.

That really felt like an official "welcome to the big leagues" moment last night. He launched that ball in an important moment to the deepest part of the park. What a great comeback late after another comeback on Sunday. The Marlins are a bad team but their pitching is actually pretty good and the bullpen is solid. There should be no discounting of what they did just because it's Miami.

Comment

I love the excitement and enthusiasm he plays with. When he does something good he looks like a 5 yr old on Christmas morning, he can't contain his excitement or figure out what gift to open first! He is having fun and it shows. I also liked the enthusiasm Dom Smith had to celebrate with Pete on his 1st HR.

Comment

Agreed - but let's see how he handles adversity. Easy to be giddy and light hearted when you're doing well and the team is winning...

Comment

Working...
                      X