Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I absolutely mean JD Davis. I keep mentally going to JD Drew

Comment

I too would like to see Davis at 3B, Smith at 1B until Alonso has enough time for the extra year of control. Fraser and Lowrie on the bench. I still don't get the Lowrie signing when it seems to make McNeil the odd man out. Based on last year even with the small sample size McNeil should have to prove last year was a fluke before casting him aside. I just liked the hustle and enthusiasm he brought to the table.

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

Who is Drew? Do you mean J.D. Davis?
        If you meant Dru, I think he is too busy with the forum.

Comment

In my opinion, I think Brodie won't hesitate to name Alonso his Opening Day 1B. He needs to gain credibility and that move would ultimately allow him to achieve that. Brodie should think of it two-fold: (1) if Alonso is as good as he seems, the Mets will be in a good position this season and (2) he can always give him an extension and buy out that 1 year of free agency. If he , well then it doesn't matter how long you have control of him...

I think the outfield is basically set with Conforto and Nimmo on the corner and Lags/Braxton in CF (whoever is hottest plays). That leaves McNeil/Frazier playing 3B until Lowrie is back.

The depth on this team is great and I'm really not concerned that we will ever have to call up Tebow.

Comment

Assuming he is putting his people on the right page, then the comment that Calloway made the other day that said Alonso is definitely proving he belongs would lead me to think he is pushing for opening day.

I think they've created a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Forget about fiscal, extending these guys are far from guaranteed (look no further than DeGrom at the moment), so if he is the stud everyone thinks he will be, how can one argue 2 weeks vs an entire season? That said, there are lots of "live in the moment" people out there who would certainly try to make that argument... and paint Brodie with the "just another lying exec" brush...

So now he's left with smart vs heart. F'ed either way.

Comment

Has Dom Smith played any Outfield this spring?

personally, I would go with:
              (vs RHP):
              Alonso; Cano; Rosario; McNeil; Conforto; Nimmo; Dom; catcher;
              (vs LHP);
              Alonso; Cano; Rosario; JD Davis; Conforto; (and some combination of McNeil/Lags/Brox/Nimmo in the other 2 Outfield spots); catcher

and yes I know who the primary catcher will be, but his days off won't be governed by what pitcher we are facing, it will be based on when he needs to take days off

Comment

I know who the primary catcher will be, but his days off won't be governed by what pitcher we are facing
                I can see a scenario where T d'A and Mesaraco ride the Syracuse Shuttle. De G numbers favor Mesaraco and De G will get what De G wants.

Comment

• saxon
                  saxon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Meraraco makes a better catcher, no'D makes a better DH (on a team loaded with DH candidates, while playing in the archaic NL rules)...IMO, Devon belongs, no'D belongs in AAA to start the season

I don't know if dG favors Mesaraco or not (haven't read anything where he states he does), but in his first 7 starts (20% mark), he was rocking a 1.87 ERA, so I don't know how much credit we can assign to the catcher that doesn't diminish the pitcher.

Comment

• NY FANG
                  NY FANG commented
                  Editing a comment
                  wait, I'm confused. Are you arguing for or against TdA, can't tell because your stats say one thing while your words say another (above post and "no'D")

• yogi8
                  yogi8 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  T d'A only caught deG for < 6 IP.

• saxon
                  saxon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  yogi got my sarcasm...sorry about that Fang...not really a fan of no'D, IMO his ship has sailed but he was too injured to realize it

Meanwhile, it looks like Rule 5 pick Dowdy is pitching his way off the roster.

Comment

Callaway wants the bullpen to be able to throw strikes. According to Newday's Tim Healy Luis Avian has nailed down the 6th position with a 2.38 ERA and 13 Ks and 0 BB. In contention for the last spot are;
                  Peterson 8 Ks -2 BB in 8 IP,
                  Santiago 12 Ks -1 BB in 7 IP
                  O'Rourke 10 Ks - 0 BB in 8 IP

On the outside looking in are Dowdy, Bashlor and Zamora

Comment

Mets made more cuts today...Mesoraco is gone...and it looks like Luis Guillorme is likely the backup SS...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/new-york-mets

Comment

, it looks like Rule 5 pick Dowdy is pitching his way off the roster.

What a difference several days make...Dowdy has allowed 1 run in his last 7 IP. Since he can't be sent down without Cleveland passing on him, he may have a claim on the last open slot. Peterson, Santiago and O'Rourke can be sent down to Syracuse

Comment

apparently the Mets thought that Nido is a better defensive option...not sure if already being on the 40 man roster had anything to do with that:

“We value defense behind there because of who our pitchers are and what they can do, and Nido gives them the best chance to succeed in our mind at this point,” manager Mickey Callaway said.
                        DeGrom, who spoke to Mesoraco Friday night, said he’ll miss him.

“Great guy and I wish him the best,” deGrom said. “I felt like what we were able to do last year was pretty special, and he caught most of those innings. I told him that.”

(DeGrom threw three perfect innings to Nido on Saturday, the catcher's first time catching the Mets' ace in a game. “He did a nice job,” deGrom said. “A very nice job.”)
                        Choosing d’Arnaud (injured list candidate) or Nido (Triple-A candidate) would give the Mets 25.

The Mets plan to make their Opening Day roster official only when they have to — Thursday morning, hours before first pitch of the opener — but here is where their positional battles stand barring further moves:

* First base: Pete Alonso and Dominic Smith both appear likely to be on the team. Callaway has said he isn’t sure how playing time would be split up.

* Infield: Luis Guillorme (shortstop/third/second) and J.D. Davis (corner infield/outfield spots) seem to have won jobs, too. Guillorme outlasted Hechavarria, who has a similar defense-first skill set. Among the reasons to pick Guillorme is that he's cheaper and has had a stronger spring offensively.

* Bullpen: Rule 5 pick Kyle Dowdy is the only remaining reliever among those who were competing for the last relief spot, though his presence on the Opening Day roster isn’t guaranteed. If Dowdy doesn’t make the team, he has to be offered back to the Indians. The Mets are free to make an external move for a reliever as other teams make roster cuts this weekend. That is true for all of these positions, but particularly the bullpen.

Dowdy strengthened his case Sunday with four innings of one-run ball in a 12-2 win over the Braves. He allowed one run in seven innings over his past two appearances.

“When he gets ahead, he’s very effective,” Callaway said. “When he throws the ball over the plate, he’s very effective.”
                        By Tim Healey
                        A source familiar with Mesoraco's thinking said the catcher, who is 30 and has spent more than seven years in the majors, will not go to Triple-A. 

Comment

I get the feeling that Dom, JD, and the twin right handed centerfielders have until Frazier/Lowrie are ready to prove themselves...whom ever is the weakest link will be in Syracuse or elsewhere afterwards, with Dom and Lags being the most likely to leave the 25 man roster in due time

Comment

Originally posted by yogi8 View Post
                            , it looks like Rule 5 pick Dowdy is pitching his way off the roster.

What a difference several days make...Dowdy has allowed 1 run in his last 7 IP. Since he can't be sent down without Cleveland passing on him, he may have a claim on the last open slot. Peterson, Santiago and O'Rourke can be sent down to Syracuse
                            doesn't hurt that with the exception of O'Rourke, the others have gone in the absolute opposite direction...

Comment

• West Coast Mets Fan
                              Editing a comment
                              If a person is arguing with him/herself does that constitute domestic violence?

• saxon
                              saxon commented
                              Editing a comment
                              only if they hit themselves

• NY FANG
                              NY FANG commented
                              Editing a comment
                              then does it count as a domestic dispute...
                          Working...
                          X