X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danny Espinosa - Mets Sign Veteran INF to Minor League Deal

Mets sign veteran INF Danny Espinosa to minor league deal

Espinosa will attend Spring Training in Port St. Lucie

The Mets announced Friday they have signed veteran INF Danny Espinosa to a minor-league deal and extended an invite to attend Spring Training.

Espinosa spent all of last season in Triple-A with three different organizations in the Phillies, Dodgers, and the most recent Blue Jays. In 2017, he bounced around the big leagues with the Angels, Mariners, and Rays, where he struggled with a .173/.245/.278 slash line and 31 RBI.

The 31-year-old did, however, spent seven seasons with the Nationals where he hit .226/.302/.388 with 92 homers and 285 RBI.

As SNY's Andy Martino points out, the Mets were light on second basemen despite Jed Lowrie joining the team. Espinosa provides an extra glove there if he is retained through Spring Training, having played second base and shortstop throughout his career.

Espinosa is also a switch hitter, making him versatile for any lineup situation. Over his career, he owns a .221 average with 98 homers and 367 RBI in 872 games.
    https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/mets-si...deal/303710454

• saxon
    replied
    I always liked Espinosa...I thought that he was a better shortstop than the guy that the Nats had starting at the time (Ian Desmond)....he had power, he had speed, he could switch hit...problem was, he had Jose Reyes type of talent, with Eric Young, Jr's propensity for staying off the base paths

Leave a comment:

• NY FANG
    replied
    SS Depth, decent glove I believe... good move as long as we don't need him to break camp with the club.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X