No announcement yet.

2019 MLB Rules - The Propose Changes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not going to pay The Atlantic for content (just don't feel the need for more sports). Do you have a summary of Murphy's thoughts?

Comment

Universal DH

Essentially is replacing the pitcher in the batter box. I would change the rule to allow the DH to continue to hit for the SP for as long as he is on the mound. When he comes out of the game, the DH is also out of the game. This would come as a shock to the robo managers in the AL....making a decision. I'd carry it a bit further the DH could take a fielding position to keep his bat in the game, but possibly at the extent of weakening the defense.

Verlander spoke out in favor of a universal DH, claiming correctly that AL pitchers' stats are not on the same level field as their NL counterparts. This could be a disadvantage when comparisons are made by GM's on who they might sign and when the BBWAA are filling out their ballots for the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi8 View Post
        Universal DH

Essentially is replacing the pitcher in the batter box. I would change the rule to allow the DH to continue to hit for the SP for as long as he is on the mound. When he comes out of the game, the DH is also out of the game. This would come as a shock to the robo managers in the AL....making a decision. I'd carry it a bit further the DH could take a fielding position to keep his bat in the game, but possibly at the extent of weakening the defense.

Verlander spoke out in favor of a universal DH, claiming correctly that AL pitchers' stats are not on the same level field as their NL counterparts. This could be a disadvantage when comparisons are made by GM's on who they might sign and when the BBWAA are filling out their ballots for the HOF.
        I disagree. It seems to be the first thought when comparing AL and NL pitchers: "Pitcher A saw his ERA increase by 1 run when he changed leagues but that's expected" and "He's going to clean up in the NL with easier lineups". With all of the stats around now I think awareness of the difference is high.

Comment

Nelson Figueroa stated that while the Mets had good hitting pitchers, they as a group batted just .170 in a league where the pitching position batted .115.

He's for the DH even tho he said he enjoyed batting.
          Drew's Sig

Comment

My main reason for liking the DH is that it's pure baseball to work around a bad hitter. Yes, most pitchers aren't enjoyable to watch hit but sticking a big hitter into the lineup just isn't baseball. We all know this, but you've got:

1) More at stake when pinch-hitting
            2) Inning-to-inning strategy around a spot that's almost always an out
            3) Pressure on the 8 hitter to get on and clear the pitcher's spot

And so on. That's baseball. Sticking a slow power hitter in the DH spot just to swing away isn't. Everyone should wear a glove. I believe Edgar Martinez deserves to be in the HOF for being the best DH of his era (and David Ortiz will be deserving in a few years also) but that doesn't mean the "position" (and I use that term loosely) is a good idea.

Comment

I don't like the DH, but now that every team playing roster contain 12 pitchers or more it has become a necessity. As there are now relievers batting late in games.
              Drew's Sig

Comment

Wouldn't there be fewer relievers batting late in games with more relievers on the roster though? If you only have a handful of relievers they're forced to bat since there are fewer pitching changes.

Comment

• Drucifer
                  Drucifer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not when the bench has been all used up.

I think his point was that because there are more relievers, there are fewer bench hitters, and therefore you run out quicker forcing more relievers to hit.

I don't like the DH. I think it ruins the strategy component. I think it also widens the gap between the rich and the poor as it's just another position that low budget teams need to spread out into.

Sadly, I also think the fact that the AL has it has given them a distinct advantage and a level playing field is needed. An I know the AL will never give up their DH.

Only one solution remains.

Comment

I think that both leagues should have the DH, but....as a result, sacrifice bunts should be banned from baseball...ok to bunt for a hit, but I absolutely despise it when clueless managers give away outs with bunts...Terry Collins used to drive me insane with that crap

Comment

much like of baseball - it's a choice - and good managers make good choices. Banning bad choices isn't the answer...

Comment

How could you determine for sure that someone is bunting for a hit? They could easily just fake running hard and say they let up when it was clear they weren't going to make it.

Comment

I see what you're saying about fewer position players meaning more relievers staying in and batting, but I'd think it would work the other way too. There are a lot of relievers these days so there's little hesitation in bringing someone in for a batter or two.

Comment

which is why any changes need to be coupled with a minimum batter requirement. 3 batters unless inning change or offensive substitution.

Comment

I've been saying for years that they should just meet in the middle and remove the DH and pitcher spot in lineup. An 8-person lineup that solves all the issues. Of course, the MLBPA would never allow that.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmetsfan View Post
                              I've been saying for years that they should just meet in the middle and remove the DH and pitcher spot in lineup. An 8-person lineup that solves all the issues. Of course, the MLBPA would never allow that.
                              As relatively basic as that is, I've somehow never heard that suggested before. Such a simple solution.

The changes would be pretty big though, with players getting on average 11% more at-bats per year and 8 hitters suddenly truly becoming extra leadoff guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X