• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jed Lowrie - Signs a Two Year Deal

Mets To Sign Jed Lowrie

by JEFF TODD
    10 Jan 2019 at 4:45 PM CDT

In a fascinating development, the Mets have agreed to a two-year deal with veteran infielder Jed Lowrie, according to Jeff Passan of ESPN.com (Twitter link). The Excel Sports Management client will earn $10MM in each of the two seasons of the deal, SNY.tv’s Andy Martino tweets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowrie.Jed-3-654x1024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	5411The Mets previously acquired Robinson Cano to play second base, bumping interesting rookie Jeff McNeil off of the position and into a utility role. With Todd Frazier already in place at third base, J.D. Davis representing another recently acquired corner piece, and youngster Amed Rosario at short, it’s not immediately apparent where Lowrie will fit in.

It could be that future moves will help clarify the situation. Alternatively, the Mets might conceivably utilize Cano and/or Frazier at first base for at least part of the season. Davis and McNeil also represent options in the outfield. It could be, then, that the org will mix and match with the players it has assembled. Lowrie could certainly be moved around the diamond, with the team leaving it to skipper Mickey Callaway to allocate playing time and manage the competing priorities. Regardless, it’ll certainly be interesting to see how things materialize from here.

Lowrie, 34, has played almost exclusively at second base over the past three seasons with the A’s. Before that, however, he had lined up at short for the bulk of his career, while also logging over a thousand innings at the hot corner.

A former first-round draft pick, Lowrie never really stuck with his first team, the Red Sox, but established himself as a solid regular over the 2012-14 campaigns. Things turned south in the two years that followed, though, as Lowrie dealt with injury issues. His 2016 campaign ended with a pair of procedures, one on his foot and the other to address a deviated septum.

Ever since, Lowrie has been a (switch-)hitter reborn. He has posted consecutive 120 OPS+ campaigns, slashing a combined .272/.356/.448 with 37 home runs while compiling 151 walks to go with 228 strikeouts. Meanwhile, he has graded out as an average-to-very good defender, making Lowrie one of the game’s better second baggers for two years running.

Lowrie now becomes the latest player to join his former agent, Brodie Van Wagenen, in Queens. It’s a hefty price tag for a utility player, if that’s how Lowrie is utilized, though odds are the salary will also reflect extensive intended usage, even if it is at multiple positions. Aided by a market chock full of second base options, the Mets will get Lowrie for the same $10MM AAV that MLBTR predicted entering the winter, but for one less guaranteed season than we guessed would be required. It’s a nice price for a player of this quality, even if he is set to turn 35 years old just after the start of the season to come.

Drew's Sig

I just saw this and I don't understand the reason.

He's a really good player, but where is he playing? We have a shortstop. We have a second baseman. We have a third baseman. We have a first baseman.

20 million over two years for what? He's a good player, no doubt. 4.8 WAR last year, I like his power and OBP, but who is getting moved out to justify his signing?

Comment

$10M for a bench player. sure is building one hell of a B squad.
      Drew's Sig

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
        I just saw this and I don't understand the reason.

He's a really good player, but where is he playing? We have a shortstop. We have a second baseman. We have a third baseman. We have a first baseman.

20 million over two years for what? He's a good player, no doubt. 4.8 WAR last year, I like his power and OBP, but who is getting moved out to justify his signing?
        You would have to think with the addition of Davis and Lowrie that Frazier and/or McNeil are going to be moved soon. Are they going to sell high on McNeil?

I would have rather seen them invest that $20M in the bullpen.

Comment

Yeah.

Frankly, I'd rather have Lowrie and one of the guys we traded in the Cano trade with Diaz than Lowrie, Cano, Diaz and losing Kelenic (or to a lesser extent Dunn).

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

You would have to think with the addition of Davis and Lowrie that Frazier and/or McNeil are going to be moved soon. Are they going to sell high on McNeil?

I would have rather seen them invest that $20M in the bullpen.
            My first reaction as well.

Comment

I would think that Lowrie views himself as a starter not a super utility guy and therefore he signed with the Mets because Brodie assured him he has more moves coming and he would be a starter. Likely at 3B where Frazier is likely a goner.

Having Lowrie in the lineup helps take pressure off Alonso when he is called up to have immediate success.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
                Yeah.

Frankly, I'd rather have Lowrie and one of the guys we traded in the Cano trade with Diaz than Lowrie, Cano, Diaz and losing Kelenic (or to a lesser extent Dunn).
                I hoping the target was Diaz and Brodie is betting his new career and Mets fans souls that Cano will respond greatly to being back in NY limelight.
                Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/SNYtv/status/

Drew's Sig

Comment

Jed Lowrie has averaged 155 games in the past two season and 660 PAs. Lowrie will be 35 in April and everyday player is not in the best interest of the team. The tank runs dry as the season moves on, especially for older players. The following is split into two 81 game segments.

.........................1st half............2nd half.
                    2017................284/.837......... 270/.777

2018................294/.847..........239/.754

Viewing this two year outcome, the reasponsible plan would be to keep Lowrie from wearing down through everyday play. Sitting 2 days a week would reduce his work load by another 25 games plus as an option off the bench Lowrie has a career .293/.908 bookend slash as a PH.

Comment

• jeffmetsfan
                      jeffmetsfan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      In the words of Jerry Manuel: He's definitely going to get a "blow" every once in a while.

The Mets have turned into the Yankees with 2nd basemen...McNeil was one of our best players last year once he came up...and then we go out and pick up 2 veteran 2nd basemen that combined for 59 doubles, 33 HRs, and 149 RBI last season...and that number would have been much higher if Cano wasn't suspended 1/2 the season

Comment

One must feel bad for McNeil, he went from probable starting 2B, to possible starting 3B to maybe a super-utility guy if he is even on the roster. His head must be spinning like a case of vertigo.

Comment

While I also would like to see one more good middle reliever, I understand what BVW is doing in addressing the offense.

In 2018, the Mets team slash line was .234/.312/.389/.701. Ranked vs. the 15 other NL teams, here's how we looked... 14th/11th/12th/12th. Guy who scores the most runs wins. 3 ways to address that - pitching, hitting and defense. Seems like he is addressing all 3 facets.

As for the signing of Lowrie, we now have a fully stocked infield. We no longer will have a complete drop off if we have to PH or give a guy a rest.

In 2018, we had 731PAs by Reyes, Agone, Smith, Guillorme, Reinheimer, Evans, Ty Kelly. - the results were horrible
                        In 2017, we had 995 PAs by Reyes, Smith, Matt Reynolds, Evans, Ty Kelly - again, horrible.

Comment

Also regarding the now "overcrowded" infield after the Lowrie signing, I don't see it as overcrowded at all.

SS is set, with Rosario playing the large majority of games there.
                          2B is also set with Cano (who can also slide over to 1B at need).
                          Lowrie can play all over the IF.

Frasier - slashed .213/.303/.390/.693 last year, can play a good defensive 3B and slide to 1B at need. Well Todd, hit or ride the pine.
                          {Programming alert - this post will be temporarily interrupted for Mrs. mjjm to show me a Facebook video of the grandsons. We will resume your normal programming, in its entirety, after the video}
                          JD Davis - recently acquired from the Astros, plays the corners, IF & OF, with 3B as his primary position. Minor league batting champ, hit .342 in AAA in 2018. Didn't translate into the majors yet. In 2018, Eric Campbell hit .363 in AAA.
                          Alonso - Anointed 1B of now and the future. Let's check the recent history of our anointed 1B of recent past. Ike Davis (out of baseball), replaced by Lucas Duda (unsigned, might have to sign a minor league contract), replaced by, after a great hue & cry from the fanbase with Dom Smith (not even in this conversation).
                          McNeil - (disclaimer: with Flores gone, a household favorite, right behind Nimmo). Outstanding after his callup. But the reality is that we are going off a 248 career MLB sample. No guarantee that he will be able to replicate it once the league has a chance to adjust.

The above sounds pessimistic as hell. And it's not how I feel that things will go. At all. I am more optimistic this season than I have been in quite a while. But it is very likely that one of the 4 above struggle in 2019. As will Rosario, Cano and Lowrie at times. And when that happens, we have something other than Reyes or Cecchini or Guillorme. This also covers the inevitable DL trips.

And what if they all hit well, and no injuries? I bench Frasier and bring him in for late defense/days off. All of the others are also in our plans for 2020 and maybe beyond, while Frasier is gone after this year. Frasier wants to play every day. Hit well enough that I can't bench you.

Comment

While Lowrie can play short, he's logged a grand total of 3 innings there since 2015...and last year was a career year in terms of homeruns for him...a nice addition, but I don't think that you should expect 20+ HRs from him, and we might be seeing an Asdrubal type of shortstop when/if he plays there

Comment

Working...
                            X