No announcement yet.

J.D. Davis - Acquired In Five Player Trade with Houston

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't been on the board in a while so I'm doing a little catch-up. The Astros' prospect pipeline is stocked with major-league caliber talent. They're in World Series mode but also have tons of young players that are producing big-time: Bregman, Correa, Altuve, Gurriel, Springer are all-star level guys and Tucker, Kemp and Fisher have potential. So a guy like Davis isn't a crucial part of their plans.

Davis isn't necessarily an elite prospect but he was in their Top 10 list going into last year (I'm in a very deep AL-only fantasy league and pay attention to this stuff). It's a great piece for us as he's depth where the team really needs it. He's not some huge hot stove story but I'm actually pretty excited about this pickup.

Comment

I didn't go through the whole thread so maybe someone posted something similar, but here's the 2018 pre-season prospect write-up from minorleagueball.com:

8) J.D. Davis, 3B, Grade B: Age 24, third round pick in 2014 from Cal State Fullerton; hit .282/.345/.527 with 26 homers, 40 walks, 108 strikeouts in 412 at-bats between Double-A and Triple-A, then .226/.279/.484 with four homers, four walks, 20 strikeouts in 62 major league at-bats; also pitched 1.2 shutout innings of relief in major league bullpen with three strikeouts; that’s legit, he would be a good prospect as a reliever too; power and strong throwing arm are his best tools, solid glove at third base; not sure how he fits onto the roster for 2018 but he’s ready; batting average/OBP may be erratic but other skills seem consistent. ETA 2018.

Comment

Davis's Plate Appearances at the MLB Level in 2018:
        first 10 games: 15 PA's;
        games 11-13: 13 PA's; 5 hits and 3 walks;
        (shipped out after game 13, didn't come back until game 49);
        Game 49-61: 25 PA's;
        (shipped out after game 61; didn't return until game 101);
        Games 101-116: 40 PA's;
        (Shipped out until September callups);
        Games 140-162: 20 PA's;

true, he didn't do much when he did play, but backup catchers get more playing time than he got for the most part when he was on the MLB roster...his most productive stretch was the 3 days in a row that he got to start before being shipped out after the 3rd game

and no fault to the Astros, they were picked to be a championship caliber team, with a young all star 3rd baseman already on the team...
        J.D. Davis Every game played with complete stats, links to box scores and automated row summing for 2018

Comment

Originally posted by saxon View Post
          true, he didn't do much when he did play, but backup catchers get more playing time than he got for the most part when he was on the MLB roster...
          This made me LOL Sax. And it sure got your point across.

Comment

Working...
          X