Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Ramos - Was BVW Third Choice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    rumors swirling that this signing will be the middle of the order righty bat the mets were needing alleviating the need for OF help. To me, thats a hedge against signing Pollock

    Van Wagenen indicated in the press conference that Ramos gives them a big right handed bat for the middle of the order, lessening the pressure to acquire a right handed hitting outfielder.
    https://thesportsdaily.com/2018/12/1...ight-now-m1d1/

    Comment


    • #17
      https://twitter.com/TimBritton/status/

      Drew's Sig

      Comment


      • #18
        Rumors: Grandal, Mets


        by CONNOR BYRNE
        28 Dec 2018 at 6:04 PM CDT

        The Mets found a veteran catcher in free agency earlier this month when they signed Wilson Ramos to a two-year, $19MM guarantee. However, the club had been willing to pay a much steeper price for the premier backstop on the open market, Yasmani Grandal, whom it offered a four-year, $60MM contract, Jorge Castillo of the Los Angeles Times reports. Grandal rejected the Mets’ proposal, leading them to sign Ramos for far less.

        The Mets’ offer to Grandal was in the ballpark of the four-year, $64MM prediction MLBTR made for accomplished catcher entering the offseason. Of course, because Grandal declined the Dodgers’ one-year, $17.9MM qualifying offer after the season, the team that signs him will have to pay more than just money to secure his services. In the Mets’ case, adding Grandal would have meant surrendering their second-highest draft pick and $500K in international bonus pool space in 2019.

        Drew's Sig

        Comment


        • #19
          I have doubts that Grandal is going to get more than 4/64 from anyone, he will probably regret that decision.

          Comment


          • #20
            he will probably regret that decision.
            Coming off his best season, rejecting the QO was a no-brainer. Accepting the offer may have put more money in his pocket, but he'll be a year older next off season and may not have the numbers he has now. The luxury of a multi-year deal is more valuable than the 2-3 M he left on the table

            Comment


            • NY FANG
              NY FANG commented
              Editing a comment
              I think he was saying he'd regret not taking the 60M/4yr deal. I don't see Grandal getting a significantly better offer than that... I cant-'t imagine anyone going to 5 or 6 years... so he's rolling the dice for an extra 2M or so per season. good luck.

          • #21
            I'm kind of glad that Grandal rejected the offer...that's a lot to pay for a .240 hitter...

            Comment


            • #22
              Originally posted by yogi8 View Post

              Coming off his best season, rejecting the QO was a no-brainer. Accepting the offer may have put more money in his pocket, but he'll be a year older next off season and may not have the numbers he has now. The luxury of a multi-year deal is more valuable than the 2-3 M he left on the table
              I'm not saying that rejecting the QO was a bad decision on Grandal's part, rejecting the Mets 4/60 offer was.

              Comment


              • yogi8
                yogi8 commented
                Editing a comment
                Gottcha Brian, that makes more sense. FANG pointed out that I had gotten off at the wrong exit.

            • #23
              Grandal gets 1 year x18.25M. Posted this in the chat, but I can't imagine that's how his agent painted the off season outlook or the advice as he potentially turned down the Mets 4x60.

              Any chance the conversation went like: Look kid, this offseason is going to be great. We're going to get you a solid 2% above the QO from the dodgers which you know, should cover the cost of living, and next year, with absolutely no guarantees for the future. You're a bachelor, don't want to be tied down, wed to one city. Next year we can reattack the market, just a year older, but catchers are ageless, right?! Go get 'em kiddo! Just not too hard, because you can't afford to get hurt... but not too soft, because you need to be the #1 catcher on the market again next year. You got this!

              Comment


              • #24
                maybe it might be a nice idea to change the thread title away from the negative? Imagine getting married and the bride's parents have on the invitation: Wilson Ramos was my daughter's 3rd choice...maybe a little less "You're all I got tonight" and maybe lean a little more "Just what I needed"...or just plain, "Wilson Ramos Mets catcher for the next few seasons, Let the Good Times Roll")

                Comment


                • #25
                  Originally posted by saxon View Post
                  maybe it might be a nice idea to change the thread title away from the negative? Imagine getting married and the bride's parents have on the invitation: Wilson Ramos was my daughter's 3rd choice...maybe a little less "You're all I got tonight" and maybe lean a little more "Just what I needed"...or just plain, "Wilson Ramos Mets catcher for the next few seasons, Let the Good Times Roll")
                  How does; "Wilson Ramos and about $40M left over to spend elsewhere on the roster"

                  That has a certain ring to it, don't ya' think?

                  Comment


                  • #26
                    That has a certain ring to it, don't ya' think?
                    Third choice....who cares. He is not only an upgrade but the best C we've had since 2005, unless Lo Duca appeals to you. Besides Lo Duca who was shut out on his 1st and only HOF ballot, Schnieder, Castro, Barajas, Buck and Blanco didn't even make the ballot.

                    Pretty sure, that Thole, Santos, Shoppach, Rivera, Plawecki and T d'A won't be appearing on the ballot either.

                    Comment


                    • #27
                      no love for Lo Duca? I thought he was a serviceable option. For the record, I'm not expecting much more than serviceable from Ramos...

                      Comment


                      • #28
                        Originally posted by saxon View Post
                        maybe it might be a nice idea to change the thread title away from the negative? Imagine getting married and the bride's parents have on the invitation: Wilson Ramos was my daughter's 3rd choice...maybe a little less "You're all I got tonight" and maybe lean a little more "Just what I needed"...or just plain, "Wilson Ramos Mets catcher for the next few seasons, Let the Good Times Roll")
                        I personally would go with "Love the One You're With", but I like Stephen Stills, so...

                        Comment


                        • #29
                          Originally posted by yogi8 View Post

                          Third choice....who cares. He is not only an upgrade but the best C we've had since 2005, unless Lo Duca appeals to you. Besides Lo Duca who was shut out on his 1st and only HOF ballot, Schnieder, Castro, Barajas, Buck and Blanco didn't even make the ballot.

                          Pretty sure, that Thole, Santos, Shoppach, Rivera, Plawecki and T d'A won't be appearing on the ballot either.
                          Hey, don't forget Mike Nickeas.

                          In his favor, I saw him spend a lot of time with a 7 year old Mets fan's first game ever. Not only gave the kid a ball, but signed it and posed for pictures with him.

                          Does that count?

                          Comment


                          • yogi8
                            yogi8 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            It sure does. May not be reflected on the back of a baseball card, but every accommodation that a player makes is meaningful.
                        Working...
                        X