Peter Alonso - Frazier Ready To Mentor Him

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Alonso - Frazier Ready To Mentor Him

nypost.com Why Todd Frazier will be in Peter Alonso’s grill at Mets spring training

Kevin Kernan
    4-5 minutes

The Toddfather is living up to his nickname, and come spring training, the mentoring of Mets slugging prospect Peter Alonso will go into overdrive in Port St. Lucie, Fla.

Todd Frazier called equipment manager Kevin Kierst this week and requested Alonso’s locker be put right next to his so the veteran can help guide the rookie first baseman from the start, Frazier told The Post.

“I’m going to be on him because if he is supposed to be our starting first baseman, I am going to make sure that he knows what he is doing and he is going to be on the right track, not just being a rookie, but I want him to understand the rights and wrongs of the game and how to act and how to be that guy,’’ Frazier said of Alonso, who blasted 42 minor league home runs in 2018.

“First basemen are big shoes, that corner spot, we need a bopper over there. I want to keep his head on straight. I’m not saying he is bad or anything, but I want to lead him in the right direction, show him the ins and outs of Major League Baseball. and if I have to get on his case a little bit every once in a while, I will do that.’’

The best teams are policed from within the clubhouse. Frazier, who turns 33 on Feb. 12, was new to the Mets last year. Don’t forget what happened to young Dom Smith. He was late for a team meeting last spring and benched for the first exhibition game.

These Mets must get their act together.

It has been a busy offseason. Frazier and his wife, Jacquelyn, welcomed their third child three weeks ago, a son named Grant.
    “Knock on wood, he slept six hours last night, he’s doing good,’’ Frazier said with a laugh.

Frazier’s former agent, Brodie Van Wagenen, is coming off a busy winter meetings, and Frazier offered insight into why BVW has hit the ground running with the trade for second baseman Robinson Cano and closer Edwin Diaz, and the return signing of reliever Jeurys Familia.

The Mets continue to chase a trade for catcher J.T. Realmuto and a deal for free-agent center fielder A.J. Pollock, among other options.

“I think it’s good he is shaking up the organization,’’ Frazier said. “We got Robinson Cano, one of the most elite hitters in baseball. We got Edwin Diaz, probably the best closer in baseball last year. Those two guys are pretty special. I think that’s a great start, and I think Brodie is going to keep on moving forward.

“Brodie is trying to be that big dog, and I love it,’’ added Frazier, who will appear at his brother Charlie’s baseball academy, Frazier Baseball, later this month. “We just need to get a couple more pieces added to the puzzle, and I think Brodie is going to do that, and I think the Wilpons understand that and will let him fly.

“He’s going to be a different GM, man. He’s going to talk to the players, he’s going to interact. He asked me, ‘What’s the best way to know guys, to know the team?’ ’’

Van Wagenen is using some of the best scouting reports available to him — the knowledge of his players.

Front offices need to talk more to their players and get their input. It’s not just about analytics, it’s about what the players see as well.

“I love the way he is going about things and talking to us,’’ Frazier said.

At 36, Cano’s age is a risk, but the way Frazier sees it, this deal is a win-win for the Mets.

“I’m a big believer in guys who have been there before,’’ Frazier said. “Trade a couple prospects, at the end of the day how many of those prospects have turned out to be long-term baseball products?

“We got new coaches coming in, we’ve got a good team. I’m not trying to say we are going to be this or that, but my expectations are to be on a good team and see where it takes us.

“It’s going to be a fun spring training. It’s going to be a lot of work for everybody. We know where we need to be.’’

The Toddfather is on the job.
    Veteran Todd Frazier, with high hopes for prospect Peter Alonso, says he's already planning how he will mentor the young first baseman the major league ropes when New York Mets spring training convenes.

That is the value added that doesn't register on the back of a baseball card. It doesn't catch the attention of the public like a fleet of cars, yellow arm sleeves or bling, but it is the mark of a team leader.

Comment

Frazier is a very well respected player across the game, if he is mentoring Alonso, there is absolutely no negative thing about that at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
        Frazier is a very well respected player across the game, if he is mentoring Alonso, there is absolutely no negative thing about that at all.
        plus he's had experience at first base, and he's played in NYC on both the dark side and the Mets side

Comment

Does Jed Lowrie Signing Definitely Mean
          Peter Alonso Won't Make Mets' Opening Day Roster?

Mets could gain an extra year of team control

Signing Jed Lowrie to a two-year, $20 million deal did more than add depth to the Mets' infield. It created a log jam that could impact top prospect Peter Alonso.

While Alonso has repeatedly said he wanted to be the Mets' Opening Day first baseman and GM Brodie Van Wagenen wouldn't rule out the possibility that the 24-year-old Alonso could make the major-league roster out of spring training, signing Lowrie means it's not a deal breaker if Alonso starts the season in the minors.

That's part of the sacrifice the Mets may have to make. Given MLB's service time rules, the Mets could benefit with Alonso starting the season at the Triple-A level by getting another year of team control.

"That's over, I would say," former Mets and Braves executive Adam Fisher said about Alonso's chances of making the Mets' Opening Day roster. "There's just not room."

That would also mean Alonso, who hit .285/.395/.579 with 36 home runs and 119 RBIs with Double-A Binghamton and Triple-A Las Vegas last season, would need to wait to make his MLB debut.

The Mets, according to SNY.tv's Andy Martino, view Lowrie, a 34-year-old infielder who hit .267/.353/.448 with 23 home runs and 99 RBIs last year, as an "everyday-quality player who will serve in a super-utility role."

He has spent most of his career at second base, where Robinson Cano occupies. The Mets have Amed Rosario at shortstop and Todd Frazier at third base. And there's also Jeff McNeil, who will see time in the outfield, according to Martino, and J.D. Davis on the roster.

All that depth indicates putting Alonso on the Opening Day roster isn't a necessity, however it doesn't mean Alonso won't get his opportunity at some point in 2019.

"Peter Alonso will be on the roster," Fisher said, "whether it's 20 days, a month, two months, whatever. But you've got way more coverage than you need to need him on the team and not get that extra year of [team] control."

Drew's Sig

Comment

If the Mets believe that Alonso is the 1B of the future, they would be absolutely stupid to have him on the opening day roster. It has nothing to do with money, and everything about the extra year of control. Seemed to have worked out well enough for the Cubs and Bryant.

Comment

That day of an extra year of control kicks in on 4/19, meaning that Alonso would miss 14 games of the 2019 season, the payback for Alonso would be Super 2 status and 4 years of arbitration eligibility.

Comment

if we believe that he is ready, and the long term answer at 1B...and we believe that we have a better chance of winning this year with him in the lineup vs someone else...then why would the answer be to purposely throw those games away with a weaker lineup just for this super 2 nonsense?

and if you are going to cite Bryant as an examine, the Cubs were a 5th place club, hopefully on their way up in 2014...The Mets time for their pitching core to remain intact is starting to run out, not giving a shit about games in April is the wrong idea...every game matters...

Comment

Originally posted by saxon View Post
                  if we believe that he is ready, and the long term answer at 1B...and we believe that we have a better chance of winning this year with him in the lineup vs someone else...then why would the answer be to purposely throw those games away with a weaker lineup just for this super 2 nonsense?

and if you are going to cite Bryant as an examine, the Cubs were a 5th place club, hopefully on their way up in 2014...The Mets time for their pitching core to remain intact is starting to run out, not giving a shit about games in April is the wrong idea...every game matters...
                  It's not for the "super 2 nonsense", you would have to hold him out far longer than 14 games to avoid that. It is to gain an extra year of control - you know, an extra year before he is a free agent. And if the totally untested Alonso is such a guaranteed superstar that not having him on the roster means that we "don't give a shit about games", wouldn't it be a small sacrifice (14 games) for an entire extra season (162 games) of control.

Every single team does this, but it's only a fucking federal offense when the Mets do it.

Finally, as I have posted elsewhere, Alonso is a guaranteed difference maker, right? Just like Davis, Duda and Smith before him.

Comment

[QUOTE]why would the answer be to purposely throw those games away with a weaker lineup just for this super 2 nonsense?[/QUOTE

Besides D Smith to cover those 14 games, we also have Frazier, Lowrie and Cano who have played 1B and are all established offensive players. With McNeil available to cover 2nd or 3rd and the uncertainty of Alonso's defensive skills, the Mets, imo, aren't compromised at all by holding Alonso back for 2 weeks.

Comment

If Alonso missing 14 games costs us a shot at the playoffs then we are not a very good team, to begin with. Throughout a 162 games schedule stuff happens and you don't always have your best lineup on the field. Brodie's moves so far have strengthened the bench to prevent a tremendous drop off from the A team to the B team. I am with mjjm on this one. It makes sense to get that extra year of control.

Comment

dom smith? really?

Comment

dom smith? really?
                          Explain to me again why the Mets would "purposely throw those games away with a weaker lineup just for this super 2 nonsense" and "not giving a shit about games in April".

Because they may gain an extra year of control on the current flavor-of-the-month, as yet completely unproven Alonso?
                          Funny, because in 2017 it was all about "Why isn't Dom Smith up here, he's ready now, The Mets don't care."
                          yogi made an intelligent post about covering 1B with multiple proven options.

WC made an intelligent post about team's depth, and the fact that it is only 14 games anyway.

And best you got to support your position, after all that is "Dom Smith? Really?".

Comment

I'd be shocked, SHOCKED if BVW doesn't have another trade brewing. There really isn't a need for Frazier with the way the roster is configured right now and the best bet would be to swap him with a similarly paid asset preferably a bullpen arm.

I believe Brodie when he says Alonso can win the starting 1B role. At the end of the day, Super 2 or an extra year before FA really only factors in if (1) this player turns into a stud and (2) he doesn't sign an extension. So Brodie looks at it from an agent perspective.

Comment

There really isn't a need for Frazier with the way the roster is configured right now and the best bet would be to swap him with a similarly paid asset preferably a bullpen arm.
                              Eliminating Orioles, Royals, Rangers, Marlins, Giants and Tigers as rebuilding I don't see another team in need of a 9M 3B. Free Agency has Moustakes looking for a job that may not exist and Solarte who cratered last year, but could be worth a flier for a rebound season.

If BVW was looking for a salary dump...maybe he could find Frazier a home but not with any return and most certainly not a 9 M RP - the most coveted position of the season. Frazier may be to a degree redundant, but not if bench strength is considered as part of the total package. Lowrie starts at 3B and Guillorme is the next option for the bench.

Guillorme was one of the replacements last season when Frazier was on the DL along with Flo, Reyes, Bautista, Evans and Reimheimer. Plus, I believe it to be beneficial if Lowrie is not an everyday player.

Comment

• jeffmetsfan
                                jeffmetsfan commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The biggest issue is...nobody wants to pay $9 million to a bench player. And since he does only have 1 year on his contract, he is moveable. Any of those rebuilding teams could take a flier on him as their starting 3B with the hope that he has a great 1st half and can become a trade chip down the line. And if not, it was only $9 million.

• NY FANG
                                NY FANG commented
                                Editing a comment
                                only way one of these rebuilding teams take him is if Mets eat a fair share of salary (along the 4M dollar range). Otherwise, the risk reward of an August trade isn't strong enough to warrant Frazier on your team.

• jeffmetsfan
                                jeffmetsfan commented
                                Editing a comment
                                FANG I think it depends on the team and what it's trying to accomplish. Frazier is an average 3b who deserves to start everyday on a team. He won't be a teams top hitter but he's a complementary type who is good for the clubhouse. Now I wouldn't mind him staying with the team, but the way our roster is configured it would make most sense for him to go elsewhere. Hell, it might just be a matter of putting him on waivers and seeing what teams bite.

That $9 million can be spent elsewhere to improve our bullpen or extra cash to be used for mid season acquisitions.
                            Working...
                            X