Jeurys Familia - He's Back

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeurys Familia - He's Back

Mets have reportedly agreed to terms to bring back Jeurys Familia in a set-up role. The deal is reportedly $30 million over 3 years and pending a physical.

Solid move for the Mets to at least get the relief market going .I doubt this is the last bullpen chip to fall to us. Acquiring Familia provides the Mets bullpen a familiar face who has proven success in the NY market.

What's the general consensus on this move?

Mets Agree To Sign Jeurys Familia

by MARK POLISHUK
    13 Dec 2018 at 2:11 AM CDT

The Mets are turning to an old friend to reinforce their bullpen, as the club has reportedly agreed to a deal with free agent right-hander Jeurys Familia, Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan reports (via Twitter). The contract is pending a physical. MLB.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that it will be a three-year pact, while The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal reports that Familia will earn $30MM over the course of the contract (all Twitter links). Familia is represented by the ACES agency.

Originally signed out of the Dominican Republic by the Mets in 2007, Familia spent his entire professional career with the organization before he was dealt to the A’s last July. The right-hander posted a combined 3.13 ERA, 2.96 K/BB rate, and a career-high 10.4 K/9 over 72 innings for New York and Oakland, racking up a total of 18 saves along the way.

Familia had excellent numbers with the Mets from 2014-16, emerging as the team’s closer and recording 94 saves over those latter two seasons. In a troubled 2017 season, he was suspended for the first 15 games under the league and players union’s joint domestic violence policy after being arrested on assault charges the previous fall. Familia also spent over three months on the DL after undergoing surgery to fix an arterial clot in his throwing shoulder.

The 29-year-old had a brief DL stint due to shoulder soreness again in 2018, but overall looked healthy and more or less his old self on the mound. Familia averaged 96.2 mph on his fastball (making him one of the harder-throwing relievers in the game), while posting a 14.1% swinging strike rate that topped his 13.6% career average. The focus on strikeouts led to a drop to a 46.3% grounder rate, after Familia posted no worse than a 57.3% ground ball rate over his previous four seasons.

Familia will be returning to Citi Field as a setup man, now that the Mets have added Edwin Diaz to serve as their new closer. The combination of Diaz and Familia gives the team an impressive combo for the eighth and ninth innings, and already provides a big upgrade to a bullpen that struggled with consistency in 2018. It wouldn’t be surprising to see New York explore other moves to augment the relief corps, as Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman might be the only current relievers who could be considered locks for the Opening Day roster.

Drew's Sig

Comment

I know lots of fans are calling this a "step back" but this is a good move. He'll be in a setup role where the pressure is less daunting and if the sinker is working he remains a very solid reliever. It's hard to get super-excited about it but he's as proven as anyone else on the market. Miller has obviously been elite for many seasons but is he starting to feel the effects of overuse?

Comment

I'm pumped. I wanted 3 high end relievers. Now we have 2.

I give him a wash for 2017. Stop and go injury plagued season. Then the guy had a "down year" last year where he pitched to the tune of a 2.88 ERA for the Mets. 29-32 is the prime of his career.

Similar examples?

Addison Reed - 2 Year, 17M
        Mike Minor - 3 year, 28M
        Greg Holland (33 years old) - 1 year, 14M

Is 3 years/30M unreasonable? Not at all IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post
          I'm pumped. I wanted 3 high end relievers. Now we have 2.

I give him a wash for 2017. Stop and go injury plagued season. Then the guy had a "down year" last year where he pitched to the tune of a 2.88 ERA for the Mets. 29-32 is the prime of his career.

Similar examples?

Addison Reed - 2 Year, 17M
          Mike Minor - 3 year, 28M
          Greg Holland (33 years old) - 1 year, 14M

Is 3 years/30M unreasonable? Not at all IMO.
          Agree fully. A very good signing. Would anyone have complained if we had signed Andrew Miller at that price?

2018 stats
          Miller - 37 G, 34.0 IP, 4.24 ERA, 1.382 WHIP, 0.8 HR/9, 34 (age as of May 2019)
          Familia - 70 G, 72.0 IP, 3.13 ERA, 1.213 WHIP, 0.4 HR/9, 29 (age for 2019 season)

Let's see what Miller gets, and for how long, but that seems like money well spent to me.

Comment

It's an overpay, but not a huge overpay, I guess.

Get Miller and the pen is formidable.

Lugo/Gsellman/Miller/Familia/Diaz is a great foundation, with one or two other arms in the system to fill things out. Those five guys can all go multiple innings, too, so there's that additional bonus.

deGrom/Syndergaard/Wheeler/Matz/Vargas is a VERY good rotation.

Signing Miller would complete the staff, and Brody can focus on improving the rest of the roster (catcher/CF/Leadoff/RH Power)

Comment

Keith Law says it's an overpay, but...

Familia earned in his last 2 years prior to Free Agency:
              $7.4 Mil in 2017;
              $7.9 Mil in 2018;

In his non injured seasons (2017, he missed quite a bit of time):
              2.21 ERA;
              1.85 ERA;
              2.55 ERA;
              3.13 ERA;

He averages more than a strike out per inning;
              he's got a career 1.21 WHIP;
              Other than 2015, doesn't give up many HRs;
              He's had 118 saves in the past 4 seasons;

Comment

Familia

Comment

Nothing against Andrew Miller, but to put the deal for Familia in perspective...

When Familia completes his 3 year deal, he will be a year and a half younger than Miller is today.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/

Drew's Sig

Comment

so technically, he's taking a paycut for this season

Comment

I wonder if the Mets should try to acquire Aroldis Chapman to be the LOOGY in the bullpen...that could be a pretty decent 7/8/9 of Chapman, Familia and the throw-in guy in the Cano trade

Comment

And who are we giving the Yankees to get their formidable closer?

Comment

• saxon
                            saxon commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Todd Frazier...since he's a position player, and Chapman only pitches about 50 innings a year, Frazier is worth more in a trade

• yogi8
                            yogi8 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            We could sign Jose and then trade him to fill the Yankees gap at SS

https://twitter.com/NYDNSports/status/

Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/MattEhalt/status/

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                            X