No announcement yet.

The Shift - Will It Be Outlawed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the 1 in 9 games become more palatable if you consider that balls that are hit over the shift have to be considered whether they are not since the shift is only effective against ground balls and softly hit line drives with a low trajectory.
    If that we true, then it would definitely be more than 1 every 9 games because we regularly see lefties thrown out from the short RF position the shifted player is occupying.

Anyway, all speculation without seeing how he produced his data.

Eitherway, back to the original point of the thread. Beat it or get beat IMO.

I'd be for lowering the mound to create more offense before taking away a managers ability to play tactically.

Comment

If that we true, then it would definitely be more than 1 every 9 games because we regularly see lefties thrown out from the short RF position the shifted player is occupying.
      What we have is a failure to communicate. I and I believe the Athletic author considered the shift as being a defense by the IF, playing deep on the grass, ala Murph, would still be within the shift. Avoiding the shift by hitting a ball over the shift would not be a 'lost hit', nor would it be beating the shift either. It would be 1 of the 34,783 shifts of 2018.

IMO, any change to the field or positioning of players is absurd. In 2018 the league average for team strikeouts was 1,374. Someone justify altering the game for 17 'lost hits which is 0.1% of a teams stikeouts. If you must make a change to increase baseball activity....give those hitters a fourth strike to put the ball in play...lots a luck!

The shift is not the villain.

Comment

but then are we not full circle? Articles have suggested that lefties are changing their swing to try and get "over" the shift as you put it --> uppercut --> large hole --> strike out. I also argue it leads to more cans of corn and fewer seeing eye grounders.

As I said, it's all in the parameters and how you then twist the data

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post
          but then are we not full circle? Articles have suggested that lefties are changing their swing to try and get "over" the shift as you put it --> uppercut --> large hole --> strike out. I also argue it leads to more cans of corn and fewer seeing eye grounders.

As I said, it's all in the parameters and how you then twist the data
          It's like the old saying "There are three types of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics".

Comment

• NY FANG
            NY FANG commented
            Editing a comment
            ha! I like that

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-fighting-back

Comment

• yogi8
            yogi8 commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting article establishing what has been obvious for some time, If the left side is empty ...go to the opposite field!

One trick pony, Joey Gallo with 69% solo's to go with his .208 BA and his 400+ K's 2017-18. Another Adam Dunn wanta be
        Working...
        X