• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Shift - Will It Be Outlawed

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/

Drew's Sig

IMO:
    the shift should be gone (2 infielders on each side of 2nd base should be required);
    you need to have the same rules for the NL as you have for the AL...
    you need to come up with a more accurate way of calling strikes;
    no changing pitchers after 1 batter (if a LOOGY can't get a single RH'd batter out, then he doesn't belong in the Major Leagues);

the "exception" to "no changing pitchers after 1 batter" rule would be if the guy gave up a Home Run
    Last edited by saxon; 05-Dec-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I say keep the shift. It's using the weakness of a hitter (inability to hit the other way) against them. Most power hitters are swinging for the seats anyhow and with men in scoring position you can't use the shift anyhow. Good hitters still hit, and shift or not they've gotten their hits.

What's next? No moving outfielders around? No catcher setting up inside? The shift creates openings in the defense that have been exploited also so it's a gamble and part of the game.

Comment

the way I see it is the defense is protecting his pitcher, the way that an offensive line is protecting his QB in football...the line and the offense in general has guidelines of how they are allowed to line up, and also only 1 player can be in motion before the handoff...if the NFL requires a set line, why can't MLB require a set defense?

Comment

I say tough shit. Hit against it.

Ted Williams had to face it, nut up and shut up. Hit the ball the other way and make 'em pay.

If you can't do that, that is YOUR problem, not the other team's.

Comment

This sums up my feelings on those complaining that the shift makes hitting too hard...

Comment

The shift is the result of a computer telling the manager where to place fielders for each and every type of pitch. If I want to see a computer generated defense I watch a PC baseball game on my large TV screen.

And name me one fan who paid for a $100+ seat that want to see their $30M per year ballplayer slap a ball to the the oppisite field just so he can get on base in a tie game in the bottom of the 9th.

Drew's Sig

Comment

If you are getting 30 million a year, you should be able to hit the damn ball the other way.

Baseball is about adjusting, adjust.

Comment

• saxon
                  saxon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  but if you are getting paid $30 Mil a year, it's not to be a punching Judy or to go up there trying to walk or get hit by a pitch...

$30 Mil players hit homeruns and drive Cadillacs;
                  punching judies & OBP guys drive Fords;

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
                If you are getting 30 million a year, you should be able to hit the damn ball the other way.

Baseball is about adjusting, adjust.
                You would have luv the dead ball era.
                Drew's Sig

Comment

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsMLB/status/

Drew's Sig

Comment

I agree hitters should make adjustments. I remember one game where Granderson had three straight at-bats with a runner on 3B and the opposing team put the shift on and he hit into the shift in all three ABs and drove in zero runs, pathetic. That said, I do believe you can shift as much as you want but it should be required to have 2 infielders on each side of 2B

Comment

you start hitting .400 because of the shift, they'll stop shifting, and you can go back to being a 30M player.

Comment

The shift is taking away all the offense. I'm calling bull****.

Strikeouts are increasing every single season, setting a record which is broken the following season. Hard to have offense when the ball is not even put into play.

Maybe we should make it 4 strikes to strike out...

Or 5...

Or 6...

Comment

On the nail head mjjm, the shift isn't what's wrong with baseball, it is when there are more Ks than singles.

Not blaming the pitchers for being good at their craft, but when players are worshiping at the alter of Launch Angle and Exit Velocity to the detriment of the teams ability to score and to the fans expectation of an interesting game they deserve the bat dragging walk back to the bench and the pathetic BA that goes with it. *

*How about one 60 word coherent sentence

Comment

Originally posted by yogi8 View Post
                            *How about one 60 word coherent sentence
                            Not from me. It's not the 60 words I have problems with, it's the coherency.

Comment

• yogi8
                              yogi8 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Misplaced your reading glasses again?
                          Working...
                          X