Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edwin Diaz - Will He Continue To Be Dominating Here?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Diaz - Will He Continue To Be Dominating Here?

Edwin Diaz’s Bone Spur Condition Hasn’t Been a Problem Yet

by KEN DAVIDOFF
    2 Dec 2018, 3:26 AM

Six and a half years later, Edwin Diaz stands as the top find of his amateur draft subclass, the third round of 2012. There isn’t a close second.

Which makes it all the more ironic that, of the 33 players popped in that round, Diaz drew the smallest signing bonus thanks to a medical concern that has yet to impact him. But it surely will show up on his medical records as the Mets review them in the trade discussions that will likely end with Diaz and Robinson Cano moving from Seattle to Queens.

According to Noel Sevilla, the scout who recommended and signed Diaz, the two sides had agreed on the slot figure of $485,000 (the Puerto Rico native Diaz was the 98th player selected overall) before the right-hander’s physical examination revealed a bone spur in his right elbow. The bonus consequently dropped to $300,000. Diaz’s agent, Edwin Rodriguez, confirmed this turn of events.

The bone spur has never bothered Diaz, Rodriguez said, and the 24-year-old has never been placed on the disabled list in the majors.
    Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 02-Dec-2018, 09:05 PM.

here's a shocker...NY Media digs up an "injury" that hasn't surfaced since he was drafted at age 18

Comment

It's not "digging" if it's a fact.

He has a bone spur. That is a fact. He has had it for a while. That, too, is a fact. It was bad enough that they dropped his singing bonus because of said spur. that is a fact.

To me, the fact that Seattle was concerned enough to lower their compensation to him is a concern to me, too. Just because it hasn't bothered him yet does not mean it won't in the future, nor does it mean it should not concern us.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
        It's not "digging" if it's a fact.

He has a bone spur. That is a fact. He has had it for a while. That, too, is a fact. It was bad enough that they dropped his singing bonus because of said spur. that is a fact.

To me, the fact that Seattle was concerned enough to lower their compensation to him is a concern to me, too. Just because it hasn't bothered him yet does not mean it won't in the future, nor does it mean it should not concern us.
        I'm being dumb of course but if he could sing before games, now that would be something...

I don't find the bone spur really concerning because guys have pitched with them before but it does speak to the fragility of "dominant" closers. The long-term great closer is such a rarity that you shouldn't be mortgaging the farm for one.

Comment

has never been placed on the disabled list in the majors.

Seven seasons and 938 games, averaging 150 gms, then Todd Frazier signs with the Mets and makes two trips to the DL

Comment

I'm with sax here... absolutely "digging" up old material to make a case out of nothing.

Yes, he has it, but if it hasn't caused him to miss a game, and hasn't affected his performance, then this fact is old news and not relevant.

If a potential employer dug up a written warning from when I was a college waiter 15-20 years ago, the reprimand is a fact, it's just not a relevant one.

Personally, not concerned with the spur even if it did cause a lost signing bonus in real time.

Comment

A written warning from 15 years ago and a bone spur that is still there are two vastly different things.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Mets/status/

Drew's Sig

Comment

yes and no. The point is both are ancient history.

I'm not a doctor, and I don't have the data, but is there reason to think that there aren't a ton of pitchers out there with this who it's never an issue for? Until it's an issue, it's not an issue, and then we have to ask ourselves why was it printed?

Comment

Enough with the bone spur. As he has proven it doesn't effect him.

What I want to know -- will he continue to dominate in a uniform?
                    Drew's Sig

Comment

He can't dominate if the existing bone spur moves around and causes pain.

That's what spurs do. As someone who has them, I can tell you that they can be just fine and not affect you one bit, then all of the sudden, you sleep wrong, and you are in excruciating pain.

It may not have affected him up to now, but that is no guarantee. That's the only point to keep in mind.

Comment

What I want to know -- will he continue to dominate in a uniform?
                        That the sun will rise in the east and set in the west is the only lock surer than a RP. Put together a little chart of 2017 & 18 performance of some "like a rock" RPs

.............................2017 ERA..............2018
                        K Barraclough.........3.00.....................4.20
                        J Blevins..................2.94....................4 .65
                        B Boxberger............3.38.....................4.39
                        G Holland................3.61.....................4. 66
                        A Miller....................1.44.................... .4.24

I stand corrected; RPs for some unknown reason are unreliable. Much like your neighbors insane pit bull that runs loose.....I wouldn't suggest hand feeding him to make friends with him.

Comment

Yes Yogi those pitchers all fell off from 2017 to 2018 but most of them were very reliable for several seasons before last year. It's never easy to time a reliever but there are certainly instances of closers staying at the top of their game for many years. Which will Diaz be? We won't know until it happens but he has shown the ability. If you're going to make a move for a young closer he's the one you want...but nothing is guaranteed and closers are notoriously hard to project.

Comment

Working...
                          X