• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Rotation - The Vargas Dilemma

Rosenthal’s Latest: Mets Rotation

by CONNOR BYRNE

November 18, 2018 at 10:18 AM CDT

Syndergaard’s not the only established Mets hurler whose future is in question, per Rosenthal, who adds that all of their starters are generating interest. Syndergaard’s fellow ace, National League Cy Young winner Jacob deGrom, isn’t going anywhere, sources tell Rosenthal. The rest of the Mets’ rotation – which consists of Zack Wheeler, Steven Matz and Jason Vargas isn’t as impressive, though Wheeler and Matz are appealing. Wheeler, healthy for the first time since 2014, is coming off a terrific season, but he only has a year of control remaining; Matz is an injury-prone lefty who was a mixed bag in 2018, but he’s still just 27 and has three years of control left; Vargas, meanwhile, endured a disastrous 2018, and with a guaranteed $10MM left on his contract, the Mets may be fortunate to find a taker for him. However, as with Syndergaard, the Mets’ goal in giving up any of Wheeler, Matz or Vargas would be to better themselves in the near and long term, Rosenthal writes.

Drew's Sig

Most likely Syndergaard will be the one on the move...unless they can’t pry away the Padres top prospects.

Otherwise, I can see Wheeler although he’d be a better piece for when the Mets are selling off in July when they have a 39-50 record.

Comment

I seriously doubt that the trifecta of: deGrom, Thor, Wheeler are going anywhere at all...

I doubt that you would get any serious takers, but I wouldn't hesitate to part with Matz/Vargas/Gsellman if they generated any decent interest

Comment

Smoke screen, imo the Mets-Padres talk was to send the message to all 29 teams who want Syndy...and they all do! If I were to guess, my money would be that team in the Bronx with Miguel Andujar and Aaron Hicks along with J Holder (RP), Justus Sheffield (SP), Jordon Montgomery (SP-TJS), and Sonny Gray - 1 year of control.

Bronx team gets a pitcher, replaces Andujar with Machado, Hicks with Bryce and get rids of Sonny Gray. Mets upgrade 3B and CF, add 3 strong pitching prospects and a low risk - high reward reclamation project

Comment

And with that, Justus Sheffield heading to Seattle with the Yanks acquiring James Paxton. Is it just me or does Brian Cashman seem to win every trade he makes?

Comment

Is it just me or does Brian Cashman seem to win every trade he makes?
            Yeah and couple that with a 200 M + payroll, they are the Evil Empire for sure

Comment

• saxon
              saxon commented
              Editing a comment
              as long as he takes on other team's salary dumps without asking for some financial help, he gets players without giving up legit prospects or quality major leaguers

• mjjm367
              mjjm367 commented
              Editing a comment
              Not so sure that I would label Justus Sheffield as "Not a legit prospect". He was the Yankees #1 prospect.

Originally posted by yogi8 View Post
            Yeah and couple that with a 200 M + payroll, they are the Evil Empire for sure
            Last they were under the luxury tax. Only the Red Sox & Dodgers were above.
            Drew's Sig

Comment

Knew that Dru...but crossing that threshold 15 of 16 years doesn't alter the Evil Empire tag or the 341 M in tax that they have paid. 22 M a year...how many teams might have gone from losers to winners with another 22 M to spend...how many winning teams might have played into late Oct. with an additional 22 M to upgrade?

Dodgers with 6 visits to the expensive side of the have forked over 150 M and the BSox have cut 9 checks totaling 44 M.

5 other teams; Giants, Tigers, Cubs, Nats and Angels have crossed over the tracks a combined 11 times at a combined cost of 29 M.

There you have it, 7 teams who have violated the threshold 26 times are collectively more than 120 M behind the EE...a nickname well earned....and paid for.

Comment

Personally, I don't see Thor going anywhere. 3 years of control on an ace... for a team in "Win Now" mode, you'd essentially need to be sending back Altuve...and I don't see that happening.

And the idea of getting multiple mediocre players for 1 ace is not appealing to me.

Comment

Mets Notes: Vargas, Keuchel

by CONNOR BYRNE
                  14 Apr 2019 at 8:28 AM CDT

Jason Vargas’ miserable Mets tenure took another sour turn Saturday in Atlanta, where the southpaw was unable to survive the first inning against the division-rival Braves. Vargas retired just one of the six batters he faced, the others reaching on two singles and three walks, and allowed four earned runs. After the game, an 11-7 loss for the Mets, manager Mickey Callaway brought up the possibility of skipping Vargas’ next start, per Anthony DiComo of MLB.com.

He’s just not getting outs at this point, Callaway said. That’s really all I can say.”

Callaway already passed over a Vargas start earlier this season, but he’s hesitant to pull him from the rotation entirely because a lack of alternatives, DiComo relays. Outside of the Mets’ rotation, Triple-A left-hander Hector Santiago is the most experienced starter in the organization. The offseason minor league signing’s not on the Mets’ 40-man roster and hasn’t been an effective major leaguer over the past few years, however. Meanwhile, Corey Oswalt, Chris Flexen, Walker Lockett and Drew Gagnon are occupying 40-man spots, though no one from that group has enjoyed any big league success in limited action. Relievers Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman have dabbled as starters, and Callaway did mention them as potential Vargas replacements (via Mike Puma of the New York Post), but moving either to the rotation would weaken the bullpen.

The Mets’ best bet may be to sign free-agent lefty Dallas Keuchel, who’s somehow still without a job in mid-April despite an excellent track record in the bigs. The former Astro’s asking price has dropped in recent weeks, which could make him more appealing to the Mets, yet there’s “much skepticism” they’ll add Keuchel, Puma reports. The two sides have been in contact dating back to at least last month, though, and if things don’t improve at the back end of their rotation soon, perhaps the Mets will earnestly pursue Keuchel. Even if the Mets were to ink Keuchel right now, it’s unclear when the 31-year-old would be ready to step into their rotation, given that he hasn’t pitched in a game (meaningful or exhibition) since last October. He’d likely need time to ramp up, which would still leave the Mets with a less-than-ideal situation for a little while.

The club signed Vargas to a two-year, $16MM deal prior to last season with the expectation he’d serve as an acceptable back-end complement to Jacob deGrom, Noah Syndergaard, Zack Wheeler and Steven Matz. Instead, the 36-year-old has pitched to a valueless 6.32 ERA/5.22 FIP in 98 1/3 innings and averaged fewer than five frames per start since receiving his contract. Vargas has no doubt been a liability in New York, and whether the team can continue to rely on him as it vies for a title in the uber-competitive NL East is very much in question.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Van Wagenen: Mets Sticking With Vargas

by STEVE ADAMS
                    15 Apr 2019 at 9:48 AM CDT

The Mets plan to stick with Jason Vargas in the rotation despite his struggles, general manager Brodie Van Wagenen said Sunday (link via MLB.com’s Anthony DiComo). “We’re not going to be making drastic changes to our club after one bad inning of a start where he had a schedule that was derailed from the start of the season,” said Van Wagenen of Vargas, who recorded just one out against the Braves on Saturday. Of course, a move to yank Vargas from the rotation would be based on more than just his most recent outing; the 36-year-old has yielded 10 runs on 14 hits and four walks with three strikeouts in 6 1/3 frames this season. And while he did enjoy a solid second half in 2018, his overall results last year were dismal. As DiComo notes, however, the Mets are lacking in terms of internal depth alternatives, and a run at free-agent Dallas Keuchel still does not appear to be in the cards.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                    X