Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets 2018 Rotation - Going to Six?

Hmmm.

Since Mesoraco was brought in, the rotation has performed better. Coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
      Hmmm.

Since Mesoraco was brought in, the rotation has performed better. Coincidence?
      Having heard him talk about how he prepares to catch individual pitchers I'd say it is not a coincidence at all.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the rotation performs when Plawecki comes back. The other thread about Wheeler showed that he performs better with Plaw and Meso over Lobaton and Nido. A serviceable catcher makes so much of a difference. Not even a Mike Piazza bat, just a guy (or two) who are at least legit major leaguers. Lobaton and Nido (right now) are not.

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

The rotation has been better the last couple of times through, but the offense is putrid and the pen is a (bad) joke.

For a guy who was this pitching guru, Calloway is handling the pitching even worse than Terry, and I never thought that could be the case. More and more every day it looks like Mickey is in over his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
                The rotation has been better the last couple of times through, but the offense is putrid and the pen is a (bad) joke.

For a guy who was this pitching guru, Calloway is handling the pitching even worse than Terry, and I never thought that could be the case. More and more every day it looks like Mickey is in over his head.
                I don't know if you can blame Callaway for 3 out of 5 starters regularly going 5 innings or less putting a tremendous strain on the starters. I saw a tweet that said the Mets starters were 28th of 30 in fewest innings pitched.

Comment

Using the bullpen at the rate we do guarantees burnout. And this is only the first third of the season, It will get worse (if that is even possible). If your average starter can't even make 5 innings, are you really a starter or just a long man that starts the game?

Comment

That's the point, Calloway and Eiland were supposed to be these gurus. So far, I see no difference between the current situation and when we had Terry and Dan.

This was SUPPOSED to change for the better. No evidence of that at all.

Comment

hey if Rick Peterson couldn't fix every pitcher in 15 minutes, then why would expect mere mortals to do it?

Comment

apparently, I gave Rik an extra 5 minutes:

from his wikipedia page:

Peterson joined the New York Mets in November 2003 as their pitching coach, replacing Rick Waits. In July 2004, Peterson allegedly said he could "fix" Tampa Bay Devil Rays pitcher Víctor Zambrano in "10 minutes" and that Mets’ top prospect and former first-round draft pick Scott Kazmir was at least 3 years away from being a Major League pitcher. The Mets shortly traded Kazmir for Zambrano, which was poorly received by many Mets fans, and the negative response grew when Zambrano had dismal results with the Mets after the trade, while Kazmir was immediately promoted to the majors by the Devil Rays and had strong early success. Many believed that Peterson's statements indicated that he was a prime mover in making the trade. Others claim that Peterson was merely giving his opinion as pitching coach, and that any responsibility for the trade should fall on GM Jim Duquette, owner Fred Wilpon, COO Jeff Wilpon, or scouting directors Al Goldis and Bill Livesey. Early in the 2006 season, Zambrano suffered a season-ending injury to his elbow, and he was not re-signed after the season; he is no longer in baseball. Kazmir, in contrast, became a three-time All-Star (2006, 2008, 2014) and led the American League in strikeouts in 2007.

Comment

I always thought he said 15, too...

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                              X