Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brodie Van Wagenen - Will He Be An In-Your-Face GM?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/NewsdaySports/status/
    Drew's Sig

Comment

Brodie was all over the field yesterday...at Callaway's side when the manager delivered his opening message and later on the back fields watching players and greeting fans. Alderson had health issues, but it wasn't his style to be out front and visable. Brodie brings a confidence that will become contagious.

The NLE will be tough this season, but the Mets are part of the picture.

Comment

Personally, I don't like in your face bosses. I find that over-bearingness to be a hindrance rather than aid.
        Drew's Sig

Comment

• yogi8
          yogi8 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not saying that BVW is a micromanager, but a lead from the front GM. Think back to those post games with TC facing the media and unable to comment because he wasn't in the loop. It got so bad that Flo wept!

My problem with BVW is not that he is "in your face" or a micromanager.

He's a big mouth with not much backing it up.

He made one big move (in which he gave up arguably both the #1 pitching prospect and #1 hitting prospect we had) for a 36 year old and a closer.

The rest of the off season was all bluster. "We're not done", "Come at us", "We're the team to beat" blah blah blah.

Yes, he made peripheral additions that added to the depth, and that was well needed, but for all his big talk, what has he really done? Are we better than Atlanta? Are we better than Washington? Are we better than Philly (especially once they close in on Harper)? Debatable.

His big talk was eliminating the "ifs". I think he has only added to them, frankly.

Comment

I made it clear I thought we needed another BP arm, but aside from that, what IFs did he add? I mean you can come up with IFs for every player, I'll call these "stretch IFs" which means you have you plan, and

Pitching
          • SP - IF they stay healthy was going to happen no matter what. You weren't replacing any of these guys, and anyone who thought we were signing another front end starter was out of their minds. I think he has some nice replacement options at #5, and either way, its your #5!) So while this is a true IF, I can't blame it on BVW
          • RP - Concrete Closer. Concrete Setup Man with high quality closer closing experience. Few options at 7th inning. Removed the IF even if I think they could have gotten one more BIG BP arm.

Infield
          • 1B was going to be a Q no matter what. You have a heir apparent. Stretch IF - IF he succeed? Never know if you don't give him a chance. Lots of back up plans if he doesn't. (Cano, Frazier, McNeil). IF covered as much as possible, and no GM can remove the IF a young player succeeds...
          • 2B - covered stretch IF - if he continues to play at a high level. Back up Plan of Lowrie and McNeil. I believe the IF was removed from here thanks to last year performance and depth.
          • SS - covered - Stretch IF - if he continues his development. See #1, not on BVW
          • 3B - covered - Stretch IF - if Lowrie stays healthy - Back up plan. Frazier, Davis. Removed the IF
          Outfield
          • LF - IF McNeil can play the OF. This is a true if in my opinion.
          • CF - IF Nimmo can play CF at a high level. Although not the ideal defensive candidate, I think he showed last year he was adequate. Removed the IF.
          • RF - Covered. Stretch IF - if Conforto can be the 2nd half player and not the first half. No GM was going to replace Conforto, so not on BVW.

Catcher - Removed the IF

So what are the big IFs you're worried about that other teams with playoffs aspirations don't have?

Comment

I'm parroting FANG a little, but I have the same basic take.

Every team has "Ifs", it's just that by the end of the year the teams that win don't seem to have had "ifs" because it worked out that year. If nothing else a few players that are as close to solid producers with good health prospects have been added to this team:

Diaz: young and was among the best closers in baseball last year

Cano: yes, there's the PEDs question but he still has been healthy and was has always been a consistent producer including 2018

Bullpen in general: Familia was healthy last year and has been great every time he pitches 70+ innings. Diaz and Wilson are all as good as you can expect for bullpen guys. Difficulty in projecting is inherent in bullpens but these guys are solid, and with Lugo and Gsellman and the young relievers picked up before 2018, you can't complain. It's not like they're going to sign Kimbrel after trading big prospects for Diaz or anything...

Ramos is about as reliable as any catcher, which means inherently prone to injuries. Heck, look at Posey last year; almost no catcher plays more than 130 games so you hope for 100+ and fill in with backups that can be good enough for the remainder or are caddies for specific starters.

There are "ifs" in the field but lots of depth than there's been recently. Last year there was no net when guys went down, and now there are capable backups for most positions. If nothing else we're looking at 3 possibilities at 1B and one has the potential to be a ROY candidate.

The issues last year were mainly the AWFUL bullpen and the lack of consistent hitting. The bullpen has been bolstered and Cano, McNeil and Ramos added to a healthy Conforto has greatly improved the lineup.

Sure it would be great to sign 162-game guaranteed all-stars everywhere but they're so rare. Even Harper has missed significant time in 3/7 of his professional years.

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post
              I made it clear I thought we needed another BP arm, but aside from that, what IFs did he add? I mean you can come up with IFs for every player, I'll call these "stretch IFs" which means you have you plan, and

Pitching
              • SP - IF they stay healthy was going to happen no matter what. You weren't replacing any of these guys, and anyone who thought we were signing another front end starter was out of their minds. I think he has some nice replacement options at #5, and either way, its your #5!) So while this is a true IF, I can't blame it on BVW
              • RP - Concrete Closer. Concrete Setup Man with high quality closer closing experience. Few options at 7th inning. Removed the IF even if I think they could have gotten one more BIG BP arm.

Infield
              • 1B was going to be a Q no matter what. You have a heir apparent. Stretch IF - IF he succeed? Never know if you don't give him a chance. Lots of back up plans if he doesn't. (Cano, Frazier, McNeil). IF covered as much as possible, and no GM can remove the IF a young player succeeds...
              • 2B - covered stretch IF - if he continues to play at a high level. Back up Plan of Lowrie and McNeil. I believe the IF was removed from here thanks to last year performance and depth.
              • SS - covered - Stretch IF - if he continues his development. See #1, not on BVW
              • 3B - covered - Stretch IF - if Lowrie stays healthy - Back up plan. Frazier, Davis. Removed the IF
              Outfield
              • LF - IF McNeil can play the OF. This is a true if in my opinion.
              • CF - IF Nimmo can play CF at a high level. Although not the ideal defensive candidate, I think he showed last year he was adequate. Removed the IF.
              • RF - Covered. Stretch IF - if Conforto can be the 2nd half player and not the first half. No GM was going to replace Conforto, so not on BVW.

Catcher - Removed the IF

So what are the big IFs you're worried about that other teams with playoffs aspirations don't have?
              IF:

Familia can adjust to the setup role
              Diaz can handle NY pressure (it's one thing to save games in Podunk, its another to do it in the Big City)
              The rotation stays healthy (as you note, that's one everyone has, but did he really address depth? No.)
              Cano can both stay healthy and produce when not on PEDs
              Frazier does not suck
              Alonso is legit
              McNeil produces at last year's rate (he's already hurt)
              Ramos can stay healthy (that is a big IF, he has a history of injury and is 31)

etc etc etc.

My point is, Brodie talked big smack, but really just filled in the periphery. It would have behooved him to manage expectations rather than talking loud and carrying a toothpick. If he had come in and said "We are looking to improve depth, solidify the roster and get better" Rather than the BS "We are the team to beat" "Fluid to the top" "Come at us" rah rah crap, I personally would have respected that more. He made it sound like it was the dawning of a new era. Instead, it's a modestly better version of what has been going on for years.

Comment

Clearly, there are two ways of looking at this, each equally valid, so I don't mean any disrespect to anyone.

And here's my take...

IF... I hit the lottery when it gets to the billion dollar mark, not only can I retire and do a lot of philanthropical work, but I can attend every single 2019 Mets game in person.
                IF... A massive asteroid strikes the earth, humanity is dead, and I won't get to attend a single baseball game in 2019.

I worry about neither of the above.

However, I feel like the team is better than last year's team, and even if not, Mets baseball is nearly back, and I get to watch, and that is glorious.

P.S. Just for the record, given the choice between the winning ticket and the asteroid, I'll take the ticket.

Comment

And for that depth, here you go.

Frazier is already going to NYC for a cortisone shot for his oblique. That is a lingering problem.

Lowrie is already questionable for opening day.

Fluid to the top, baby. Come get us.

Comment

Out of curiosity, who would be "no ifs" players? Is it just Machado and Harper? We're not the only team to get cold feet on 10 year, $300 contracts. There really aren't any other definite no-risk players out there. Even look at Kershaw with issues early on.

Comment

By season's end there will be enough 'no ifs' players from around the league to staff an AS team. For openers we have Francisco Lindor SS missing day.

Comment

FA IFs

IF Machado is the 2017 version, not the 2018.
                        IF Harper misses 40 games.
                        IF Realmuto's power surge was a 1 year thing.
                        IF AJ Pollock can't stay on the field.

Star Power IFs

IF Kershaw gets injured
                        IF Acuna has a sophmore slump
                        IF Justin Verlander shows his age
                        IF Stanton has another freak injury

You name any team, and I'm sure we can come up with at least a half dozen IFs. The question is what is behind the IFs. And calling out Frazier and Lowrie going down is a cheap shot. True neither are beacons of health, but odds are the maladies wouldn't be simultaneous.

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post
                          FA IFs

IF Machado is the 2017 version, not the 2018.
                          IF Harper misses 40 games.
                          IF Realmuto's power surge was a 1 year thing.
                          IF AJ Pollock can't stay on the field.

Star Power IFs

IF Kershaw gets injured
                          IF Acuna has a sophmore slump
                          IF Justin Verlander shows his age
                          IF Stanton has another freak injury

You name any team, and I'm sure we can come up with at least a half dozen IFs. The question is what is behind the IFs. And calling out Frazier and Lowrie going down is a cheap shot. True neither are beacons of health, but odds are the maladies wouldn't be simultaneous.
                          That's just it, sports is a game full of "ifs". How many "sure things" have gone down with season-ending injuries or suddenly lost power or gone through long slumps? It happens. I know it's easy to say now but before he became a Met Jason Bay was about a sure thing as anyone else in baseball.

Comment

• yogi8
                            yogi8 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            SURE THINGS!

Frazier never spent a day on the DL. Joe Foy and Jim Fregosi were the answer to the revolving door at 3B

I don't know if I've commented since the thread title was changed to what it currently is but...WTF is an in your face GM? I've heard of managers, coaches being that way...and even dickhead owners like George Steinbrenner...but an in your face GM? Huh?

Comment

Educated guess: Its referring to the visibility he intends to carry in the role.

Comment

Working...
                            X