Brodie Van Wagenen - His First Year Starts with a Bang

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post

True, but you actually went out on dates. Brodie sits in the cafeteria and talks about the head cheerleader, then goes on one blind date with the Math Club president, just like Sandy before him.
    Hey, I also went on a date with the Match Club president. She totally ignored our "safe word".

OK, I keep hearing that you want some action, but not a single suggestion as to who.

So far the only suggestion is "Not Jason Bay".

Comment

Towards the end of the season, I was the ultimate pessimist and very critical of everything the team was doing and that is why I took a break. I didn't think it was good for the forum for me to be so dark. I am back with optimism over where the team is headed. I for one like where the team is headed and is undeserving of the criticism it is getting. Looking at what Brodie has done so far through the lens of what Sandy and his predecessors did is all wrong. Besides, there is a long way to go before rosters are set.

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post
        Towards the end of the season, I was the ultimate pessimist and very critical of everything the team was doing and that is why I took a break. I didn't think it was good for the forum for me to be so dark. I am back with optimism over where the team is headed. I for one like where the team is headed and is undeserving of the criticism it is getting. Looking at what Brodie has done so far through the lens of what Sandy and his predecessors did is all wrong. Besides, there is a long way to go before rosters are set.
        This ^^^^^^^^

Wait, does this mean that BVW isn't going to sign Jason Bay?

Does the mean Bay Watch is over? (That pun is nauseatingly bad. Happy New Year!!!)

Comment

As I said earlier, its about spending like a big market team. CF option is overpriced? Skip it and resign Austin Jackson on the cheap as a Plan C.. Happy with Alonso at 1B? fine, skip it.

But don't just skip it an stop... spend the money elsewhere. The BP looks much better , but its far from great, and no one in the Mets depth seemed to be ready for the show. I go sign Britton and Roberts. THAT is a deep BP where you can mix and match guys and keep everyone fresh.

By my estimates, once you factor Mets commitments at 111M + 20M for those two, minus about 20M for Wright and Cespedes insurance, you're at 100M. Figure 30M in arbitration cases or so (Yogi?), brings us to 140M payroll as of right now. Are you really telling me there isn't more money to spend? (Above not fact checked from baseball reference: https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...ontracts.shtml).

Comment

It's Jan 1st. there is not much going on for any team right now. There will be more done, you'll see. If today was 3/29 I would agree with you but it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post
              As I said earlier, its about spending like a big market team. CF option is overpriced? Skip it and resign Austin Jackson on the cheap as a Plan C.. Happy with Alonso at 1B? fine, skip it.

But don't just skip it an stop... spend the money elsewhere. The BP looks much better , but its far from great, and no one in the Mets depth seemed to be ready for the show. I go sign Britton and Roberts. THAT is a deep BP where you can mix and match guys and keep everyone fresh.

By my estimates, once you factor Mets commitments at 111M + 20M for those two, minus about 20M for Wright and Cespedes insurance, you're at 100M. Figure 30M in arbitration cases or so (Yogi?), brings us to 140M payroll as of right now. Are you really telling me there isn't more money to spend? (Above not fact checked from baseball reference: https://www.baseball-reference.com/t...ontracts.shtml).
              CF - My concern there is the very considerable amount of games that Pollock has missed over the last 4 years. He is 31 and looking for a long contract. Even if he stays healthy, just how long will he be able to stick in CF? Just what we need, another corner OF.

BP - Very much agree here. This is where I would spend the money. Realistically, I doubt we sign both Britton and Roberts, but adding one of them to Diaz, Familia & Lugo would be outstanding.

OF - Would be nice to add a RH OF (it's looking like a stud CF isn't going to be an option). Someone like Adam Jones would be good here (no, he's not a CF anymore). Nimmo/Conforto could cover part-time in CF, with Lagares filling in, especially for defense (and for those who cite Lagares' injury history, Pollock has played only 48 more games TOTAL over the last 4 seasons, or 12/year). Herein lies the problem - will someone like Jones be willing to sign for a platoon/part-time position?
              Also, his playing time would diminish when Cespedes returns, and potentially next year if Cespedes remains healthy.
              There are a lot more factors than $$$ with a guy like him choosing a destination. Additionally, it would be nice if the COF had some 1B experience, as we have a lot riding on an unproven Alonso at 1B. Yes, we could slide Cano over if needed, but that is relying quite a bit on a half season of success by McNeil.

Bench - figure 5 guys - backup C, 2 OF's, McNeil - still need someone capable of backing up at SS. Currently on the 40, we have Guillorme & Cecchini.

Side note - I can't wait for Mets fans' heads to explode when Smith starts the season as our 1B for a few weeks, as opposed to Alonso, to keep the extra year of control on Alonso. If both hit in ST, it is the wiser move to start off with Smith. But wisdom be damned, I can already hear the "Cheap Wilpons" outcry.

Comment

• yogi8
                yogi8 commented
                Editing a comment
                Makes sense...which raises the concern. Making sense is not an accepted form of communication.

Would be outstanding to see Smith challenge Alonso for the 1B job, worst case it would enhance his value.

CF - My concern there is the very considerable amount of games that Pollock has missed over the last 4 years. He is 31 and looking for a long contract. Even if he stays healthy, just how long will he be able to stick in CF? Just what we need, another corner OF.

The hope would be that by the time he's moving to corner, Ces will be gone, and Nimmo/Conforto will have revealed their true selves. If both are legit, then you have have a tradeable asset. As for the injury comment, you're leaning into twisted facts. Pollock missed nearly the entirity of the 2016 season, but 2017 and 2018 played 112 games. Lags is at 70, 90, 30, which remove a broken elbow, which makes me think it's more than a 12 game per season difference. In the end, we agree, if Pollock is really looking 5 years/85M, run away, but if it gets down to 3/54 (which some are predicting), thats a deal the Mets would be foolish not to jump at.

BP - Very much agree here. This is where I would spend the money. Realistically, I doubt we sign both Britton and Roberts, but adding one of them to Diaz, Familia & Lugo would be outstanding.
              If my numbers are correct, and If they can get each of these guys 1-2 years, there is no reason not to spend here. Their BP was a bus-fire last year, they have the spending room, make the transformation complete. Only reason not to do this is if you think the above will happen and you're saving your money for that. If that's not the case, there's no reason not to sign both.

OF - Would be nice to add a RH OF (it's looking like a stud CF isn't going to be an option). Someone like Adam Jones would be good here (no, he's not a CF anymore). Nimmo/Conforto could cover part-time in CF, with Lagares filling in, especially for defense (and for those who cite Lagares' injury history, Pollock has played only 48 more games TOTAL over the last 4 seasons, or 12/year). Herein lies the problem - will someone like Jones be willing to sign for a platoon/part-time position? Probably not. Last chance to get paid
              Also, his playing time would diminish when Cespedes returns, and potentially next year if Cespedes remains healthy.
              There are a lot more factors than $$$ with a guy like him choosing a destination. Additionally, it would be nice if the COF had some 1B experience, as we have a lot riding on an unproven Alonso at 1B. Yes, we could slide Cano over if needed, but that is relying quite a bit on a half season of success by McNeil.

Bench - figure 5 guys - backup C, 2 OF's, McNeil - still need someone capable of backing up at SS. Currently on the 40, we have Guillorme & Cecchini.

Side note - I can't wait for Mets fans' heads to explode when Smith starts the season as our 1B for a few weeks, as opposed to Alonso, to keep the extra year of control on Alonso. If both hit in ST, it is the wiser move to start off with Smith. But wisdom be damned, I can already hear the "Cheap Wilpons" outcry.
              Your lips to gods ears. Won't rehash this out, but I'd love for him to get a shot and run with it.

Comment

It's Jan 1st. there is not much going on for any team right now. There will be more done, you'll see
                Mentioned this before; of the 166 available FA last off season, 140 were signed...70 of which signed after camps opened.

Comment

Your lips to gods ears. Won't rehash this out, but I'd love for him to get a shot and run with it.
                  In a perfect world they start with Smith playing full-time and he proves that the few strong stretches he had were a sign of things to come. He looks like a different player after shedding some lbs and maybe with a clear path to 1B he'll have a good ST and move in. Then at the trading deadline you have a choice: Smith or Alonso for what could be a nice bunch of pieces.

I'm still wary of Alonso. A RH first baseman with almost no mobility isn't great. He had better be able to hit major league pitching very well or he'll end up being the kind of player who gives you HR but ends up hurting you with a thousand tiny cuts. I'm still giving Smith this year and holding out hope he'll be as good as the potential has teased us with.

Comment

wasn't last year a really fluky year? And yes, it's only a fluke until its not...

Comment

wasn't last year a really fluky year? And yes, it's only a fluke until its not...
                      A fluky year for who? Morton? It depends on how you think about it. Is it just a good year or is it the "Astros effect"?

Morton:

Pirates: 41-62, 4.39 ERA, 1.427 WHIP, 6.3 K/9 (7 years)
                      Astros: 29-10, 3.36 ERA, 1.176 WHIP, 10.4 K/9 (2 years)

Cole:

Pirates: 59-42, 3.50 ERA, 1.217 WHIP, 8.4 K/9 (5 years)
                      Astros: 15-5, 2.88 ERA, 1.033 WHIP, 12.4 K/9 (1 year)

Verlander:

Pirates: 183-114, 3.49 ERA, 3.49 ERA, 1.191 WHIP, 8.5 K/9 (13 years)
                      Astros: 21-9, 2.32 ERA, 0.867 WHiP, 12.1 K/9 (2 years)

Yes, it's all SSS with 1-2 years but they have the spin rate philosophy that targets certain acquisitions at SP. Lugo just fits right into that pattern.

Comment

• NY FANG
                        NY FANG commented
                        Editing a comment
                        you squeezed in between Yogi - I was replying to him. I was saying the number of FAs (especially relevant ones) who lasted past the start of camp... to the point that they had FA camp which I can't ever recall happening (or at least being publicized) in the past

• NY FANG
                        NY FANG commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Also, loved Verlander with the Pirates

• Thomasam
                        Thomasam commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh man I just got used to typing "Pirates". Lugo really does fit in perfectly with their starting pitcher MO though.

If my numbers are correct, and If they can get each of these guys 1-2 years, there is no reason not to spend here. Their BP was a bus-fire last year, they have the spending room, make the transformation complete. Only reason not to do this is if you think the above will happen and you're saving your money for that. If that's not the case, there's no reason not to sign both.
                      While your idea looks good (and I would like it to happen), the reality is that both of these guys will not end up in the same bullpen. But I do like the idea, very much so.

The only way that I would describe last year's bullpen as a bus fire is if the bus had gotten hit by a gasoline tanker. However, the addition of Diaz, Familia and one more guy would be quite the turn around.

Comment

wasn't last year a really fluky year? And yes, it's only a fluke until its not
                        I believe that the 2016-17 off season was similar. That season Alderson resigned Cespedes after he opted out, for 4 yrs/110 M at the end of Nov., picked up 13 M option on Bruce and gave Walker a QO at 17.2 M. Then 10 weeks of nothing until he signed Blevin the 2nd week of Feb.

Many GMs that year sat on their wallets and signed players for less than their asking price in most cases....the early bird got the worms and those who slept in got Eggs Benedict at Egg McMuffin prices

Comment

Brodie has the right mentality. He wanted to pick his guys for catcher and reliever. Now that the major missing pieces are depth, he will wait until the market sets itself.

Comment

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

While your idea looks good (and I would like it to happen), the reality is that both of these guys will not end up in the same bullpen. But I do like the idea, very much so.

The only way that I would describe last year's bullpen as a bus fire is if the bus had gotten hit by a gasoline tanker. However, the addition of Diaz, Familia and one more guy would be quite the turn around.

then we end up in the same position where we think we are set 7/8/9 but if anyone goes down, 8/9 gets burned out, and then you have just 9... and if last year was any indication, we have nothing in the wings to act as relief - yes, I went there

I personally think that our BP is two real pieces away - and the offense isn't revamped enough to deal with another leaky BP year...

PS: Per the "same bullpen" notion - give these guys money, and they'll pitch wherever you tell them to. They're not the elite closer class, and after that mixing in for 6/7/8, I'm sure it's just a paycheck.

Comment

Working...
                            X