This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Thomasam View Post

I don't understand why Cecchini isn't a bigger part of the picture in the backup SS/utility IF space. He doesn't seem to have starter potential but he's shown competence and flexibility. Plus he's going to make nothing. Marwin Gonzalez is a solid player with power but is that the best way to spend?
    when I think Cecchini, I think: poor man's Ty Kelly...and even that might be over-rating Cecchini

Comment

• https://twitter.com/MetsFarmReport/status/

Drew's Sig

Comment

• Marwin Gonzalez is a solid player with power but is that the best way to spend?
        Gonzalez may be the subject of an outlier 2017 season, certainly 2018 didn't compare. At the end of July, MG was hitting .228/.660 with 6 HRs-36 RBI in 370 PA. He salvaged the season hitting .285/.875 the rest of the way, 180 PA with 10 HRs-30 RBI.

Versatile player but 2017-18 he has -8 DRS at SS. Gonzalez needs to be recognized as a bench player regardless of the number of PAs he gets. If he is playing, a better player isn't.

Comment

• Marwin is a 2-3 WAR player, which is nothing to sneeze at, but he is not a great defensive player. I agree that 2017 is probably his apex.

Baseball Reference has his projections at 261/329/434 with mid teens homers and 60-70 runs/rbi. Again, nothing to sneeze at, but let's not figure him to be a game changing type. He's a building block, not a foundation piece.

The big pro in his favor is consistency, looking at this splits. He's basically the same offensive player against both lefties and righties.

Comment

• Mets Rumors: Grandal, D. Holland, Tomlin

by CONNER BYRNE
            5 Jan 2019 at 7:37 PM CDT
            • The report that free-agent catcher Yasmani Grandal rejected a four-year, $60MM proposal from the Mets earlier this winter is “essentially accurate,” Rosenthal writes. While the Mets didn’t submit a formal offer to Grandal, the two sides did discuss a deal in the $55MM to $60MM neighborhood, per Rosenthal, who adds the 30-year-old was aiming for a contract worth closer to $65MM. The Mets balked at Grandal’s request, though, and then signed the No. 2 catcher available, Wilson Ramos. There’s now “doubt” Grandal’s next contract will approach what the Mets were willing to give him, Rosenthal relays.
            • More from Rosenthal on the Mets, who – in need of starting depth – are considering left-hander Derek Holland and righty Josh Tomlin in free agency. Holland easily had the stronger year of the two in 2018, which figures to make him the more difficult hurler to sign. He should be able to net a major league contract this winter, whereas the Mets are hoping to land someone on a non-guaranteed pact, Rosenthal reports. With that in mind, the 34-year-old Tomlin may be a more realistic option, as he endured a miserable 2018 with the Indians. However, the 34-year-old was successful at times from 2014-17 under ex-Tribe pitching coach and current Mets manager Mickey Callaway.

Drew's Sig

Comment

• we need starting pitchers? we got 2 starters in the bullpen

Comment

• Mets May Be Done Adding Major League Outfielders

by CONNOR BYRNE
                6 Jan 2019 at 10:07 AM CDT

After acquiring center fielder Keon Broxton from the Brewers on Saturday, the Mets “aren’t so sure” they’ll pick up another major league outfielder this offseason, per Mike Puma of the New York Post. The club could still scoop up a free-agent outfielder(s) on a minor league deal – as it did Saturday with Rymer Liriano, who followed Rajai Davis and Gregor Blanco in that regard – but it doesn’t seem as if New York is in play anymore for a high-profile addition in the grass. The Mets have frequented rumors for free-agent center fielder A.J. Pollock as much as any other team, though it’s questionable whether there’s room for him on the roster. Along with Broxton and Juan Lagares in center, the team has everyday outfielders Brandon Nimmo and Michael Conforto in the corners, not to mention the rehabbing Yoenis Cespedes.

Drew's Sig

Comment

• So, it looks like Broxton/Lagares is the CF combo.

Nice gloves, but not much offense, I'm not blown away.

Comment

• There just isn't much available out there in CF. This is the list of free agent CFs from MLBTR...

Center Fielders

Craig Gentry (35)
                    Carlos Gomez (33)
                    Austin Jackson (32)
                    Jon Jay (33)
                    Adam Jones (33)
                    Cameron Maybin (32)
                    A.J. Pollock (31)
                    JB Shuck (32)
                    Denard Span (35)
                    Chris Young (35)
                    Eric Young Jr. (34)
                    Nothing all that attractive on that list, except for Pollock, and I am very leery of signing him to the contract he wants based on his age and injury history. At this point, with both Lagares & Broxton on the roster, I would start looking for a RH hitting corner OF, someone like Adam Jones (no, he can't play CF anymore).

At this point, we have CF covered. Lagares & Broxton are defensively elite, while Nimmo & Conforto are serviceable.

Comment

• Originally posted by saxon View Post
                      we need starting pitchers? we got 2 starters in the bullpen
                      If you can get them on minor league deals... then why not? Even if you're agreeing to release them upon request if they don't break camp with the club...

Can you ever have too much depth?

Comment

• NL Notes: Mets

by JEFF TODD
                        7 Jan 2019 at 8:45 PM CDT
                        • As Mets GM Brodie Van Wagenen continues to tinker with the club’s 40-man roster, Rosenthal adds, it’s possible there’ll be a few more departures. Backstops Travis d’Arnaud and Tomas Nido have drawn interest and could follow Kevin Plawecki out the door. In such a scenario, it seems, the Mets would go onto the open market for another catcher. Dumping d’Arnaud would have the added benefit of clearing some real payroll space, though obviously a replacement would cost something as well.
                        • Notably, as he continues to seek ways to upgrade the Mets bullpen, Van Wagenen seems largely to have run through his available funds, per Mike Puma of the New York Post (Twitter link). It seems the organization will mostly be bargain-hunting the rest of the way. That also explains the fact that the Mets have seemingly bowed out of the market for expensive outfielders. Per Andy Martino of SNY.tv, via Twitter, the club isn’t shopping Juan Lagares in trades — though a deal still hasn’t been ruled out entirely — and expects him to line up in center field, where he’ll be supplemented by the just-acquired Keon Broxton. Presumably, Broxton will also spell the team’s left-handed-hitting corner outfielders as well.

Drew's Sig

Comment

• Mets Have Had Recent Discussions Regarding Brian Dozier

by STEVE ADAMS
                          8 Jan 2019 at 11:05 PM CDT

The Mets are among the teams to “have talks regarding Brian Dozier lately,” tweets Jon Heyman of Fancred, though there’s no indication that the Mets plan to make a serious pursuit of Dozier. Both the Nationals and Rockies have been linked to Dozier over the past couple of weeks, and Heyman notes that the market for the longtime Twins slugger is beginning to pick up a bit of steam. Regarding the link between the Mets and Dozier, it’s worth pointing out that Mike Puma of the New York Post reported just yesterday that the Mets don’t have much more money to spend this offseason, although they’ve spent very little since GM Brodie Van Wagenen publicly stated that they “still have some real money to spend.”

Drew's Sig

Comment

• "Real money" was just spent on Jed Lowrie.

I don't get it, he is not filling a need or answering an if. We dumpster dove for some lefty relievers and have a gaping hole in CF and power needs.

Comment

• jeffmetsfan
                              jeffmetsfan commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Let me explain what is happening here. What BVW just did in 3 months time is load up on a ton of depth to improve this roster.

Jed Lowrie is filling a need because Brodie's next move is a trade involving Frazier. My guess it's for a reliever. Lowrie will be our starting 3b for 2019 and 2020. Frazier has 1 year left on his contract, which if not moved I'd be scratching my head.

As far as CF gaping hole, have you not been following along? The Mets everyday outfield is Conforto, Nimmo, and one of Lagares, Broxton, Gregor Blanco, Rajai Davis. I'd be shocked if Lagares isn't moved. He is also in his final year under contract and would be attractive to some teams. Quite possibly Indians will want Frazier and Lagares and prospects for Trevor Bauer. That would be something worth exploring.

• Jed Lowrie is filling a need because Brodie's next move is a trade involving Frazier. My guess it's for a reliever. Lowrie will be our starting 3b for 2019 and 2020. Frazier has 1 year left on his contract, which if not moved I'd be scratching my head.
                            If he manages this, kudos on a chess match well played. My guess is we open the season with both, or take pennies on the dollar for Frazier.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/mikemayerMMO/status/

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                              X