Mets 2019 - I'm Looking Forward to Next Year

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mets 2019 - I'm Looking Forward to Next Year

The Mets 2019 schedule has been released and we drew the long straw. Our interleague opponent next year is the ALC. The class of the ALC are the Indians whom we get at H for 3. As of today the Indians are 20 over .500 and are 20 over the dregs of the ALC, in other word the Indians are a .500 team unless they are beating up the Royals-Tigers-WSox-Twinkies who are playing .391 ball collectively.

16 games...8 Home and Away and all eminently beatable. Done my due diligence and I see 11-5 (.688). That sounds like a post season winning percentage.

Good research, yogi. And I like your optimism. Gotta beat up on the lesser teams.

Comment

Thank you CF. Certainly I know you are an involved Mets fan, and I can understand why fans have "lost that lovin feeling" this season.

I think that your avatar is time appropriate, if 2019 is what I expect will you change it?

Scrolling through some threads yesterday I came across one of your posts, in which you were unsettled about trading or keeping Wheels. Did you resolve that?

Comment

I was looking forward to 2018.

I'm getting tired of looking forward!
        Drew's Sig

Comment

Originally posted by Drucifer View Post

Well, looking back is not much fun either!

Comment

Originally posted by Drucifer View Post

being a Mets fan is like being Charlie Brown, hoping that the new season things finally go in the right direction...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	3590
            Last edited by saxon; 29-Aug-2018, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Power...power! We walked that path too many times and lost 90 games while spending to the regret of other options. I'll take the 'lead off BB...SB...double and single' Alex.

Comment

As a Mets fan, you have to be optimistic because otherwise year after year you have nothing to look forward to. I will say this team, despite their record, has given us exciting baseball. From the lights out pitching performance, to the break outs of Nimmo and perhaps McNeil, there is a ton of reasons to be optimistic. I think the Mets FO needs to use September as a learning opportunity to see what they have in McNeil and even Dom Smith. Bc our major focus in the offseason should be bolstering the bullpen (not signing Swarzak and Blevins). If there is any doubt in McNeil or Smith, 1B and 2B need to be addressed unless they are all-in on Peter alonso come mid April.

Id be very surprised to see DeGrom, Syndergaard, or Wheeler get moved because breaking up that trio would send the message that this team isn’t a playoff contender in 2019.

Comment

Yogi, going back a ways to answer your questions: I will gladly change the avatar if good baseball decisions are made this off-season in the hopes of sustained winning, not duct tape and barb wire over the holes; and yes, I settled on the team keeping Wheeler. He seems to be putting it together, cutting down on the walks, and has developed a delivery that is efficient and repeatable. The life on his fastball wasn't unexpected though I honestly didn't think he'd be consistently sitting at 97, 98, but the split fingered has really impressed me. Great arm action and ridiculous downward movement. A wipe out pitch. Reminds me of the days of the A's in the late 80s when every baseball talking head was worshipping at the feet of LaRussa and Duncan for teaching the split finger.

Comment

And Sax, I love any chance to see a Charlie Brown cartoon. Thanks!

Comment

I feel like I cobble together reasons to look forward to next year every season, but there are reasons for optimism here. How many teams have a 1-4 in the rotation like we have here? When you add in McNeil and an improving Rosario to the OF trio the pieces are in place. Of course the mess at 1B/3B and the ongoing mystery at catcher along with a bullpen that never seems to get better puts a damper on that.

Could d'Arnaud/Plawecki/Nido become something and Bruce/Smith/Flores/Frazier/Wright (wouldn't that be great) somehow create something at the corners? Could they find arms for the pen? Sure, why not. There's promise here but it also feels so far away, especially after another great game where deGrom falls under .500 anyhow.

Comment

• yogi8
                        yogi8 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I was looking forward to the 1962 season with a team "cobbled" together with the leftovers of the 8 existing NL teams. The Colt .45s (Astros) won the coin flip and got first pick. Mets selected Hobie Landrith C because "without a catcher you'll have a lot of passed balls" -C Stengel. 22 players and 1.8 M we had a team and only 6 months to wait for PLAYBALL.

Many years later, nothing has changed...we've got a chance to contend...if Jupiter aligns with Mars

• mjjm367
                        mjjm367 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        yogi quoting from "The Age of Aquarius"..

well played sir

I also like next year.

The Harvey situation is gone. There no mo' question about Wright. The rotation of deGrom, Syndergaard, Wheeler, Matz look top notch. McNiel, Nimmo, Conforto are all young stars on the rise. Even the disastrous BP looks good when it is not overwork. Plawecki even looks like he's capable of throwing runners out.
                      Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                      X