Long Term Center Field solution: Mets considering moving Rosario there

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Term Center Field solution: Mets considering moving Rosario there

The thought process is that the Mets are weak up the middle in the OF...And Gimenez is knocking on the door very soon to replace Rosario at short...
    Over these final 51 games the Mets need to make the best catch they can in center field. That is one of many crucial challenges they face. Don’t expect the...
    Last edited by saxon; 08-Aug-2018, 10:11 AM. Reason: I added 3 tags, none are showing

Some out of the box thinking by the Mets. Also a candidate could be Austin Jackson who resurrected his career with Callaway's Indians last season. Signed by the Giants this season and bombing he was traded to the Rangers and released. With the Rangers on the hook for the balance of his money, Callaway's Mets signed him and he is firing on all cylinders.

Comment

I think it's less likely that Callaway holds the magic potion for Austin Jackson than him suddenly repeating what appears to be an outlier year

Comment

true, Callaway probably didn't "fix" Austin...but he might have had some input on picking him up off of waivers...Like I have said before, I am liking what I am seeing from Austin so far...he's showing what we expected to see from Lags...

Comment

Rosario? I rather trade him then put him in center as that move just make a mess messier.
          Drew's Sig

Comment

And what the hell is 'long term?'
            Drew's Sig

Comment

Rosario is young enough to develop into a center fielder, and our top prospect, Andres Gimenez, is a shortstop.

As for the definition of "long term", I think that is pretty self explanatory.

Comment

• saxon
                saxon commented
                Editing a comment
                yep...if a guy has the speed/talent/arm to play shortstop, I really don't see why he can't play Center...didn't some guy named Robin Yount do something like that, except he was a bit older when he went out to CF?

Yount switched to CF at age 29.

Comment

how did Yount win a gold glove at short with 24 errors at age 26? that doesn't sound like GG material...he had as many as 44 errors in a season at short at the major league level...

Comment

On a Robin Yount note, I still use the glove I got in 6th grade which is a Rawlings Robin Yount glove. If I was home I'd take a picture of what's an antique now.

I like this move actually. Rosario is looking better and they could use a permanent CF solution. Of course if Cespedes is ever healthy though they end up with a Conforto/Nimmo/Cespedes/Rosario logjam.

Comment

• yogi8
                    yogi8 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Enter Robin Yount glove and it comes up. Several different models. Those gloves of the 70s-80s were a lot larger than when I played

I really don't see why he can't play Center...didn't some guy named Robin Yount do something like that
                  As did Mantle, Mays and Aaron, Trea Turner filled that role for his rookie season hitting .340/940 and finishing 2nd in the ROY voting. Turner had never played CF at the professional level or maybe at any level. Rosario has the tools, don't know about the acceptance of moving.

The logjam is a not a problem, Gimenez is just underway at AA at 19, and there is no reason to rush him. Realistically another year at AA-AAA and then bring him up after he is safe from Super 2 (early-mid June) in 2020 would work. By then Lags would be gone and Bruce and Cespedes would be in their walk years.

My Willie Mays glove is also a Rawlings, the same model he used in making the catch off Vic Wertz in the 54 WS, May's later change to MacGregor. I was in 8th grade when I bought my glove...the same year that Chevy introduced a model called Impala...I bought one of those too.

Comment

I had my glove relaced 2 maybe 3 times. Probably the last time was about 35 years ago when I was coaching LL.

Comment

Working...
                  X