X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Trades - Asdrubal Cabrera Traded for Philadelphia's Franklyn Kilome

Mets Deal Jeurys Familia to Oakland for Pair of Prospects

by ABBEY MASTRACCO, 4:08 PM ET July 21, 2018

NEW YORK — The core of 2015 Mets squad that took baseball by storm and reached the World Series is slowly being disassembled. is being sent to the Oakland A’s for two prospects and international slot money.

In return, the Mets are getting 23-year-old third baseman Will Toffey and 26-year-old right-handed reliever Bobby Wahl.

Familia was informed of the trade on Friday night and said his goodbyes to the team. He did not have a locker on Saturday morning in the visitor’s clubhouse at Yankee Stadium. The league-leader in saves with 51 in 2016 has never lived up to that banner season. Since then, the 28-year-old right-hander has struggled with injuries and decline.

In 2017, Familia was suspended for a domestic violence arrest and underwent surgery to fix an arterial blood clot in his right arm. In 40 appearances, this season, he went 4-4 with a 2.88 ERA and 17 saves.

Drew's Sig

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

And this is the best return we could get? The $1 million slot money is prob the best piece coming back...have fun Minaya!

Comment

so a 26 year old minor league reliever...and a college draft pick that is hitting .244 with little power to add to it, and a lefty hitter as well (don't we already have too many LH'd hitters)?

have no fear Mets fans, we have management that can consistently trade "hot commodities" at the trade deadline for non-prospects...

I'm guessing that the Thor trade was totally a success by pure luck

Comment

The only source I would trust on evaluated a third baseman is a professional third baseman.

Media-heads only objective is to make their own opinions ad worthy.
              Drew's Sig

Comment

I don't have insider, so I can't read the whole article but....Keith Law is less than impressed with the Mets pathetic return for their proven closer...saying that:

If the New York Mets are just going to trade their most valuable major league assets for salary relief, rather than to try to improve the club, then it's time for MLB to step in and force the Wilpons to sell the team, just as the league did with Frank McCourt and the Dodgers. Trading Jeurys Familia for two fringe-at-best prospects is not how any team, regardless of payroll level, should operate in this environment. For a franchise that operates in the largest market in the league to do this -- and do so 10 days before the trade deadline rather than waiting for someone to offer a legitimate return -- is embarrassing for the Mets and for Major League Baseball as a whole.

The closer heads to Oakland for a pair of prospects and more, but New York's slender return creates big questions for a big-market franchise.

Comment

I have to admit, I was severely disappointed with the return for this trade. Unless there was some "master plan" where we badly needed the international bonus money, I don't get it. There is still a week and a half before the trade deadline where we could have looked for a better deal. I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post
                    I have to admit, I was severely disappointed with the return for this trade. Unless there was some "master plan" where we badly needed the international bonus money, I don't get it. There is still a week and a half before the trade deadline where we could have looked for a better deal. I don't get it.
                    IMO, releasing him would have been close to an equal haul...we didn't even get Doug Flynn back in the deal...

Comment

Phillies To Acquire Asdrubal Cabrera

by JEFF TODD | July 27, 2018 at 4:47 PM CDT

The Phillies have agreed to acquire infielder Asdrubal Cabrera from the Mets, according to Andy Martino of SNY.tv (Twitter link). Righty Franklyn Kilome is heading to New York in return, per Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic (via Twitter).

It’ll certainly be interesting to see how the Phils decide to utilize Cabrera. The veteran switch-hitter has mostly played second base this year, grading quite poorly in the field, but that’s not likely where he’ll play in Philadelphia. It seems possible that Cabrera will slot in mostly at third base and shortstop. He played the latter position for much of his career and split his time between all three of those infield spots in 2017.

What is clear is that the Phils will gladly put Cabrera’s bat in the lineup. He has destroyed opposing righties in 2018, posting a .285/.345/.535 slash, but had greater success against lefties in the prior campaign. For his career, Cabrera has very neutral splits, so there’s good reason to think he can succeed regardless of which side of the box he’s in.

Though Cabrera has been a solid offensive performer throughout his dozen seasons in the majors, he has never been better than in New York. Since inking a two-year deal with an option (picked up last winter), Cabrera carries a .279/.339/.464 slash with 55 home runs.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Franklyn Kilome, 23, RHP, Reading

Signed as International free agent in 2013

Last 9 starts: 3.19 ERA, .242 BAA, 1.32 WHIP, 37 Ks in 53 2/3 IP,
                        pitched at least 6 innings in 7 of those outings
                        Drew's Sig

Comment

• saxon
                          saxon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          any explanation on his struggles in the 10 prior starts? Looking at his numbers, looks like he has a high BB/9 and a low K/9 ratio, and a pretty high WHIP...but I guess if you acquire 10+ minor league arms in 2 years of trade deadlines, at least 1 or 2 might develop into more than a minor leaguer eventually

I haven't found any scouting report on him, but here's his game logs from Baseball America:

Get the latest stats, rankings, scouting reports, and more about Reading Fightin Phils player Franklyn Kilome on Baseball America

Comment

Working...
                        X