Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was discussing the state of baseball with a friend at the gym this morning about how today we have 100 pitch counts for starters, relievers getting saves when the tying run isn't on base like yesteryear and the alarming rate of hitters striking out while SBs, hit and runs and bunts have all but disappeared and a random thought crossed my mind. In today's day and age, Dave Kingman would be paid $30M per year. How sad is that?

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post
      I was discussing the state of baseball with a friend at the gym this morning about how today we have 100 pitch counts for starters, relievers getting saves when the tying run isn't on base like yesteryear and the alarming rate of hitters striking out while SBs, hit and runs and bunts have all but disappeared and a random thought crossed my mind. In today's day and age, Dave Kingman would be paid $30M per year. How sad is that?
      he hit the ball far...he took a lot of walks...he struck out a ton...couldn't hit shit with men on base...and played shit defense at 1B/3B/LF/RF (and could even pitch)...Sandy would salivate to have King Kong...plus, he also sported the .224 batting average that Sandy seems to build a team around...and he even got caught stealing almost as often as he successfully stole a base...
      Last edited by saxon; 04-Jun-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Well, Kong's OBP was only .302 for his career, so he might not make 30 mil.

Maybe just 20 because of his .478 SLG...

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Maybe someone should tell Jose to worry about his own friggin' offense and not Amed's.

Guys hitting .149 shouldn't be throwing stones.

Comment

The problem with Jose is he used to be good and most people have noticed that he isn't anymore with one or two exceptions. Unfortunately amongst those exceptions are Jose himself and the Mets front-office.

Comment

I would be willing to be that even Jose knows his performance has been unacceptable, it's more like the Front Office (specifically Ownership) does not want to "upset" the Fanbase that they think holds him in high regard.

This is a fallacy on their part, as most fans recognize that Jose is done and would rather see a gold watch ceremony for the guy and him off the roster.

Comment

ok, I'm on the "jose is done" bandwagon as much as the next guy, but are you really giving him a hard time for being a mentor?? Rosario is a young player with talent. Good for Reyes for recognizing that, putting in the time to help the kid develop, and not being sour that Rosario's career is ahead of him with Jose's is in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post
                          ok, I'm on the "jose is done" bandwagon as much as the next guy, but are you really giving him a hard time for being a mentor?? Rosario is a young player with talent. Good for Reyes for recognizing that, putting in the time to help the kid develop, and not being sour that Rosario's career is ahead of him with Jose's is in the past.
                          I agree on giving credit for Jose working hard at being a mentor to Rosario. However, it is no longer Rosario's first month up here. And time to free up the roster spot for more than a mentor.

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
                              Maybe someone should tell Jose to worry about his own friggin' offense and not Amed's.

Guys hitting .149 shouldn't be throwing stones.
                              "giving him shit" means that they are teasing him in a playful manner, not berating him like an Army drill sergeant.

Comment

tried to quote Dru's entry with the twit about lowest batting average since 1968 but it brings me to tweeter instead...

that pathetically low batting average is why I think that shifts and over-emphasis on walks are killing baseball...

like I told my kids when they were playing baseball/softball in school: I didn't take vacation time to watch you kids keep your bats on your shoulders...I'd rather see you strikeout swinging on close pitches than to walk a bunch of times....and there is no excuse for "called strikeouts" unless the ump ....it's ok to get called strike 1 or 2, but you protect the plate with 2 strikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X