Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fernando Tatis Jr. 340MM Contract

Wow, 340MM for 14 years. Huge!

That is a lot of money for someone who has only done it for 2 years, but in the end it may prove to be a discount. Who the hell knows what superstar contracts will look like in 4 years when he's a FA. If he managed to keep it going like he did in 2019 - 2020, he could have been looking at a 10 year 400MM contract. Or he could have regression or injuries and it will handicap the Padres for years. All in all, if he stays healthy, 340MM will actually feel like a team friendly deal in the end.

OK, the obvious question following this is...

What does this mean for Lindor and our ability to sign him long term. What is his market?

Lindor is five years older. Tatis is less established. Both are shortstops. Lindor is a switch hitter, point in his favor.

What does the group think it will take to keep Francisco?

Comment

• saxon
      saxon commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe the Jays didn't overpay Springer after all, it's more that Sandy is out of touch with modern payroll or got numbed by the Coupons

• NY FANG
      NY FANG commented
      Editing a comment
      Sax, it is crazy to compare buying out the 22-36 aged years against buying out the 30-36 aged years. You give some concession to buy out ALL the prime years which Springer has already used a healthy dose of. You're stretching apples into oranges my friend.

Brian - that's the 300 million dollar question. They say Tatis is the better all around player, but Lindor has a proven health record and is better defensively. My guess is the Lindor market was already somewhere between 10 years and 300 million to 12 year 375 million. I'm guessing it stays there. Time for the Mets to pony up. If they let Lindor walk, then thats egg on their face as you don't make that trade unless you're willing to overpay to ensure he's a Met for the rest of his life. I'm hoping the delays are just discussing where the opt-out years will fall and not that the Mets are trying to hold firm at below 300 or the Lindor is asking for 400.

Comment

They need to move on Lindor now. The market isn't going down.

And I shudder to think what Bora$$ expects for Conforto.

Comment

• saxon
        saxon commented
        Editing a comment
        that was a dumb trade if they lose Lindor at the end of the season

agreed - you don't make that trade unless you are ready to cement the deal.

Comment

If Lindor wants something outrageous and they let him walk, as it stands now there are a number of high end SSs that the team could go to as a fallback. While that would make the trade seem like a failure, there would be potential other options such as Story, Seager, Correa, Turner, Baez.

Comment

Lindor seems to have that elusive quality of not only being good on both sides of the ball but also having leadership qualities and the demeanor to handle the NY press/fans. Sure things could always go south but that's not an easy combination to find.

The other SS options you list CMF are not going to be cheap either. Turner and Seager in particular will command similarly crazy salaries and it's hard to imagine the Dodgers letting Seager go. Story is already making $18.5 this year and Baez is making $11.6. Correa's star has faded a lot since his first couple of years so he'd be less, but would you rather have him than Lindor?

Comment

Hey Thomas, glad to see you back on. I would rather we sign Lindor because I think he is a superstar. Last year's stats I hope were just a result of a screwed up year with the uncertainty of if he was going to be traded. I made the statement about other options in case Lindor looks for an outrageous term and figure. I hope is he settles in as a team leader and gets back to his 30 homer form from a few years ago along with elite defense. Now, if we could get CF straightened out.....

Comment

Oh definitely, I know where you're coming from and there are a lot of shortstops that'll be free agents next year the moment. I just think a few will be off the market by the offseason. Let's see though.

It's so evident that Lindor is a good fit for the city and for a team that could use another leader on the field. At least it seems worth the big spend.

Comment

I think that Lindor has the personality for NYC, it's a matter of performance and willingness, on both sides, to commit.

Comment

Working...
                X