• Show
Clear All

• Zack Scott - Hired as Senior Vice President/Assistant GM

Mets announce hire of Zack Scott as Senior Vice President/Assistant GM
    Scott was the runner-up to Jared Porter during GM search
    Scott Thompson
    Editorial Producer
    12/23/2020 1:36pm

The Mets have hired Zack Scott as senior vice president/assistant GM, the team announced on Wednesday.

Jared Porter ended up getting the GM position, but Scott was the runner-up and New York managed to still bring him aboard to work with Porter. They just so happened to work with the Red Sox for 10 years, too.

“I’ve known Zack for over 15 years, and worked with him daily for 10 of those years. He’s a strong leader who is a very creative and dynamic thinker,” Porter said in an official statement. “Zack is well rounded in all areas of baseball operations, and will promote synergy and collaboration among all of our departments with an emphasis on research and development.”

Starting as an intern in the Red Sox organization, Scott worked his way up the ranks in Boston. He was in the baseball operations department interning and would move up to director of Major League operations as well as vice president of baseball research and development.

His latest role with the Sox was assistant GM in which he oversaw baseball analytics, baseball systems and the pro scouting departments.

"I want to thank Steve Cohen, Sandy Alderson and Jared Porter for this unique and exciting opportunity as well as the leadership of the Red Sox for allowing me to pursue this new role with the Mets,” said Scott. “Being a part of the Mets' new culture and helping establish a consistent winner on the field that the Mets fan base deserves is something I will work towards tirelessly.”

https://sny.tv/articles/mets-announc...t-assistant-gm

I guess Zack is set for a great Christmas

Red Sox assistant GM Zack Scott to join Mets as senior vice president
    By Alex Speier Globe Staff,Updated December 23, 2020, 4:38 p.m.

A key member of the Red Sox front office is leaving the organization.

Multiple team sources confirmed that assistant general manager Zack Scott, who joined the front office as an intern in 2004, is leaving the Red Sox to become senior vice president and assistant GM of the Mets. Scott’s departure comes weeks after he’d been a finalist for New York’s GM vacancy — a job that ultimately went to Scott’s former Red Sox colleague, Jared Porter.

In Scott, the Mets saw an ideal candidate to lead the development of their analytics, and research and development departments. Scott helped to build and grow the Red Sox’ analytics department over his tenure with the team while also acting as a key voice in player moves, contract analysis, payroll management, and strategic initiatives such as the creation of a sports science program.

His role grew steadily, and in 2020, Scott supervised the baseball analytics, baseball systems, advance scouting, and pro scouting departments. Scott was also one of “Gang of Four” — along with Brian O’Halloran, Eddie Romero, and Raquel Ferreira — who oversaw the baseball operations department from the time of Dave Dombrowski’s firing in September 2019 until the hiring of chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom in late-October 2019.

Porter and Scott both began their front office careers as Red Sox interns in 2004, with Porter working in Fort Myers and Scott in Boston. They worked together with the Sox until Porter left for the Cubs in 2015.

According to a major league source, as part of the agreement to let Scott leave Boston, the Mets will not be allowed to hire additional front-office employees away from the Red Sox either this offseason or next.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7.png
Views:	47
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	13345
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/...ice-president/
    A few more details about Zack. The last line of the article is quite interesting

Comment

I think that it is "funny " how we have hired a gm and an assistant gm that both worjed under Theo. Theo walked away from the Cubs to take a year off to spend time with his family around the same time that the Mets decided to delay hiring the management tier between Sandy and the GM

Comment

I also think its a bit strange that the 2nd choice was hired to be the first choice's assistant.

oh, and Post 500!

Comment

• NY FANG
          NY FANG commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats on the milestone

I like that we are assembling a team derived from WINNERS. Proven winners.

Not trash talking newbies who talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
          I also think its a bit strange that the 2nd choice was hired to be the first choice's assistant.

oh, and Post 500!
          Supposedly they are friends and have known each other for 15 years, both started out as interns in the Red Some organization. It was the GM that picked the assistant GM, not Sandy.

Comment

Originally posted by saxon View Post

Supposedly they are friends and have known each other for 15 years, both started out as interns in the Red Some organization. It was the GM that picked the assistant GM, not Sandy.
            Sounds reasonable.

No drawbacks in having as many overqualified people as possible on a team.

Comment

• NY FANG
              NY FANG commented
              Editing a comment
              agreed - it's a win for the Mets, just surprised. Sax's reason could explain it.
          Working...
          X