Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 General Manager - Is It Jared Porter for Four Years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

Kojak?

Huxtable?

(Really dated myself with the Kojak reference, didn't I...)
    Who is Kojak!

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

Who is Kojak!
      This comment was from the poster who invited me to join AARP.

Comment

• NY FANG
        NY FANG commented
        Editing a comment
        I can say without absolutely honesty that even after googling that, I still have no idea what I'm looking at here...

Isn't Kojak the guy on the Mr. Clean bottle??

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Mets Fan View Post
        Isn't Kojak the guy on the Mr. Clean bottle??
        Nope, that's House Peters Jr. -

And I'm clearly better at googling than Fang. It's one of his known shortcomings.

Comment

My guess now is that Sandy will go with something like this...

No official GM this year, keep the guys in place as they make moves to set up next year, then in the offseason NEXT year make a hard push for Epstein. Give him a solid, winning season with a team to build on and still enough of a budget to maintain and rebuild a farm.

Unless, of course, they convince him that the one year sabbatical is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Stark View Post
            My guess now is that Sandy will go with something like this...

No official GM this year, keep the guys in place as they make moves to set up next year, then in the offseason NEXT year make a hard push for Epstein. Give him a solid, winning season with a team to build on and still enough of a budget to maintain and rebuild a farm.

Unless, of course, they convince him that the one year sabbatical is overrated.
            I think Epstein would be a great hire. But I would be very surprised if he accepted a job offer from Sandy. Epstein would justifiably be looking for a position on the level of Sandy, in charge of it all. Why would he take a lesser position?

Comment

The only potential reason is the promise that he is the big boss in the NY market 2 years as Sandy plans to retire. He gets to take on the Yankees machine head on for decades to come and turn the Mets into the toast of the town. No where else can offer that type of experience/legacy. .

Chicago and Boston are big deals, but taking the Yankees on in their own market at their own game with an owner who is willing to be professional can be the long term position he spends the rest of his life in.

Its a stretch, but no other reason I'd see him do it.

Comment

Clearly I don't know Epstein but I would not discount the ego and what a feather in his cap it would be to take on the Yankees and potentially beat them in their own city. Taking a 3rd major market to a championship would also have some cache to it. And who knows, he may hate the Yankees just as we do.

Comment

For ego, I'd think taking a small market team would be the real feather in his cap. Get the Pirates to the promised land without money, and you're a true god among mortals.

Comment

I could see Steve and Sandy approaching him net off season and saying something like:

Sandy: "Theo, here's the thing. I've (Sandy) cleared out the riff raff, brought in the appropriate free agents for near term success (I assume that some of/all of Bauer-Realmuto-Springer-Hand will be obtained this year), and upgraded the analytics and scouting departments. I'm turning over the operation to you to take into the next phase. I'm going to sit back and let you do your thing as the guru."

Steve: "Additionally, here's a blank contract. Name your salary and position. Oh, and one thing that is in the contract is a 5% stake in the team."

Theo: "Where's the pen?"

Assuming that Theo does not go somewhere else in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post
                      For ego, I'd think taking a small market team would be the real feather in his cap. Get the Pirates to the promised land without money, and you're a true god among mortals.
                      Based on this, I might send him to Cleveland. Their current championship drought, longest in MLB, is 72 years. Would breaking the 3 longest championship droughts in 3 consecutive jobs be the equivalent of winning the Cy Young 3 years in a row?

Comment

But then he'd have to live in cleveland...

Comment

Buzinga!

Comment

And good luck to anyone taking on the task of getting the Pirates to the WS.

Comment

• NY FANG
                              NY FANG commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Kinda my thought - which is why I chose them, and I hear Pittsburgh, aside from the cold, is a great little city

Chris Young is a candidate for Mets GM
                            The Mets' interest in Young was first reported by SNY's Andy Martino
                            Danny Abriano
                            Editorial Producer
                            11/25/2020 6:45am

The Mets' interest in Chris Young for a front office job, which was first reported by SNY's Andy Martino, has reportedly led to him interviewing for GM, per Mike Puma of the New York Post.

According to Martino, while Young is a candidate for GM, Tampa Bay Rays executive Bobby Heck is not a candidate to join the front office.

Young, 41, is currently a senior vice president working for the MLB commissioner's office.

He had a 13-year career as a pitcher in the majors (including with the Mets from 2011 to 2012), retiring after the 2017 season.

Mets president Sandy Alderson said earlier this week that the team would no longer be seeking a president of baseball operations at this time, instead "exclusively" focusing on hiring a GM.

Alderson said at the time that the Mets had interviewed about six candidates for GM, adding that his hope is that the GM they hire will eventually blossom into the president of baseball operations role.

https://sny.tv/articles/chris-young-...te-for-mets-gm

I guess they didn't learn from past mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                            X