Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never play, but I'm going on the record for this one.
    1. Jacob deGrom, SP
    2. Michael Conforto, RF
    3. Seth Lugo, RP
    4. Pete Alonso, DH
    5. Dom Smith 1B
    6. Andrés Alfonso Giménez, SS
    7. Jeff McNeil, 3B
    8. Edwin Diaz, Closer
    9. Robinson Cano, 2B
    10. JT Realmuto, C
    11. Trevor Bauer SP
    12. [player name, position]
    13. [player name, position]
    14. [player name, position]
    15. [player name, position]
    16. [player name, position]
    17. [player name, position]
    18. [player name, position]
    19. [player name, position]
    20. [player name, position]
    21. [player name, position]
    22. [player name, position]
    23. [player name, position]
    24. [player name, position]
    25. [player name, position]
    26. [player name, position]

Rumor has it that MJJM and Chipper Jones relationship is a little rocky at the moment... Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmetsfan View Post
      1. Jacob deGrom, SP
      2. Michael Conforto, RF
      3. Seth Lugo, RP
      4. Pete Alonso, DH
      5. Dom Smith 1B
      6. Andrés Alfonso Giménez, SS
      7. Jeff McNeil, 3B
      8. Edwin Diaz, Closer
      9. Robinson Cano, 2B
      10. [player name, position]
      11. [player name, position]
      12. [player name, position]
      13. [player name, position]
      14. [player name, position]
      15. [player name, position]
      16. [player name, position]
      17. [player name, position]
      18. [player name, position]
      19. [player name, position]
      20. [player name, position]
      21. [player name, position]
      22. [player name, position]
      23. [player name, position]
      24. [player name, position]
      25. [player name, position]
      26. [player name, position]
      Gonna start to get tough once we get to the pitchers.
      Not sure the rules of this game, but I think Jeff was eliminated when the red pill was chosen - lol

Comment

LOL - no rules of elimination. We just cross him off and replace him.

Comment

• NY FANG
          NY FANG commented
          Editing a comment
          haha

between the Mets interviewing the Indians GM and the Cano suspension, that gives a couple options for up the middle defense for 2021:

1) have the Indians GM trade Lindor to the Mets for minor junk (Nimmo or a used tennis ball), and then he takes over as the Mets GM shortly there after;

2) Have the Indians GM become the Mets GM, then use a combo of McNeil, Gimenez, Rosario at 2B/SS in 2021, and see if Rosario improves offensively and Gimenez fully establishes himself;

3) Sign DJ LaMa-U away from the Yanks for 2021, and then move him to 3B once Cano comes back

Comment

Originally posted by saxon View Post
          move him to 3B once Cano comes back
          My bet, we have seen the last of Cano in a Mets uniform. What value does 39 yr old player that missed a season bring to a ballclub?

Comment

• West Coast Mets Fan
            West Coast Mets Fan commented
            Editing a comment
            Cohen was asked Thursday night if he would consider paying out the roughly $18 million the Mets still owe Bobby Bonilla in a lump sum. Bonilla has scored a $1.19 million check every July 1 since 2011 as part of a bizarre buyout agreement with the Mets in 2000.

Cohen had other ideas on how to commemorate the famously odd arrangement.

“Let’s take a vote,” he wrote. “How about we have a Bobby Bonilla day every year .Hand him an oversized check and drive a lap around the stadium.Could be fun”

One fan took the idea even further, saying “Genius! And have a shirt giveaway that says ‘Bobby Bonilla got a million dollars today and all I got was this shirt’”

“That is a winner,” Cohen replied.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/19/steve-...for-mets-fans/

• West Coast Mets Fan
            Editing a comment
            New sheriff in town!!

• West Coast Mets Fan
            Editing a comment
            I don't get why the Mets get lambasted by everyone, including some members here, when the Mets are not the only team that has done this.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/artic...279624#slide_3
            Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 20-Nov-2020, 11:55 AM.

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

My bet, we have seen the last of Cano in a Mets uniform. What value does 39 yr old player that missed a season bring to a ballclub?
          You have to pay him either way, so the question becomes does Cano add value above replacement level at age 39. If he plays like 2020, he does. If that was the roids working, then he might not. What I am pretty sure of is noone is going to trade us for him. So the question I ask, what do we gain by simply cutting him now?

Comment

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post
            You have to pay him either way, so the question becomes does Cano add value above replacement level at age 39. If he plays like 2020, he does. If that was the roids working, then he might not. What I am pretty sure of is noone is going to trade us for him. So the question I ask, what do we gain by simply cutting him now?
            We have to pay him either way for the unsuspended portion of his contract. I'm not sure how a buyout might work, and how it affects the luxury tax for a particular season.

I don't see any advantage to releasing him now, for three reasons.

- Might as well see if he has value as a bench bat. Obviously, we would have to see how he hits after a year's layoff. Will he be more valuable as the 26th man, versus whatever AAAA player we might put there? If so, we are paying him anyway.

- The prospect of sitting on the end of the bench for two years, especially after a year long layoff, might be something that Cano doesn't want to do. He didn't take steroids to secure a large contract, he already had that, the last contract of his career. Taking them cost him $24M. His reason most likely was that he wanted to play up to a certain standard, while remaining on the field, avoiding poor performance that would bench him. Facing the bench as a 2 year reality could make a buyout much more appealing to him.

- There is no need to make an immediate decision. Who knows, he might pull a Montero, and get caught a 3d time, which bans him for life.

Comment

• #35.3
                  Today, 08:18 AM
                  Cohen was asked Thursday night if he would consider paying out the roughly $18 million the Mets still owe Bobby Bonilla in a lump sum. Bonilla has scored a $1.19 million check every July 1 since 2011 as part of a bizarre buyout agreement with the Mets in 2000.

Cohen had other ideas on how to commemorate the famously odd arrangement.

“Let’s take a vote,” he wrote. “How about we have a Bobby Bonilla day every year .Hand him an oversized check and drive a lap around the stadium.Could be fun”

One fan took the idea even further, saying “Genius! And have a shirt giveaway that says ‘Bobby Bonilla got a million dollars today and all I got was this shirt’”

“That is a winner,” Cohen replied.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/19/steve-...forfans/
                • New sheriff in town!!
                • I don't get why the Mets get lambasted by everyone, including some members here, when the Mets are not the only team that has done this.

https://www.yardbarker.com/mlb/artic...279624#slide_3
              Saw this on twitter this morning, it definitely made me laugh. Reading the replies, several thought this was a great way to flip the narrative on what is traditionally looked at as the Wilpon's incompetency portrayed in a single act with annual reminders of how they turns a 5 million deficit into 30 million. Others remember more broadly that the move allowed the Mets financially to acquire Hampton who helped them get to a WS appearance and who's compensation pick ended up being Wright.

I think the better way to look at it for smart vs dumb is by financially terms of the deal. Bonilla locked in an interest rate of 8% from the Mets on his 5MM deferment (per google). By comparison I have is a 30 year bond from 2000 that pays 5%. So the Wilpons paid 3% above bond prices Bonilla laughed all the way to the bank. I find it hard to believe that other no-risk investments could have possibly locked in at 8% at that time, and considering where rates have been since 2008 to say the least, I would say he came out WAY ahead on his investment.

None of this is to mention the mets intentionally traded for this 36 year old coming off a down year and being paid top dollar. That to me is the worst kick in the nuts regarding this whole thing. So essentially, this is an annual reminder of the Wilpons being taken the the woodshed on another bad beat first with the trade and second with the deferral.

Yes, there are other teams that have similar deals - the Chris Davis will continue to bury the O's for years, Scherzer will be a killer for the Nats when they are paying him a full player salary to not play, and the Braves one from the article made me laugh - and as deferments become more and more popular, there wil lbe many many more of these types of situations, but the Bonilla one will hold a special place for years to come.

Personally, I think it's brilliant that Cohen can lean into it and flip the script to increase his own popularity within the fan base. Feel the room and join in the jubilee of mocking his predecessors.

Comment

• NY FANG
                NY FANG commented
                Editing a comment
                for the record - DeGrom also has 52M in deferred money.

Originally posted by NY FANG View Post

I don't think they cut him now, but it will happen at some point. What use is a guy who is 39, needs steroids to perform (just look at 2019 (likely steroid-free) v 2020 (obviously steroid-enhanced performance)) after a year layoff? Why waste a roster spot for a cheater that probably cannot perform?

They do not have to make the decision now so they won't but my bet is when the suspension is lifted they release him.

Comment

Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

We have to pay him either way for the unsuspended portion of his contract. I'm not sure how a buyout might work, and how it affects the luxury tax for a particular season.
                I agree with all your reasons, it's exactly what I was thinking. Love the "give him enough rope to hang himself with" rational of #3.

So after a short amount of quick reading (link below), I do not think a buy out would help against the luxury tax. My understanding of this article (1 source, so if it's faulty, so is my logic) is that luxury tax takes into account the present value of the money. So because the 24MM is all due now, even if you agree to a future payment schedule that includes interest, it won't change the present value of the money. On the flip side, the Scherzer or DeGrom PVM on the deferred amount is lower than the AAV of the contract because it's not all due up front, and so the luxury tax amount is lower than the AAV.

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2020/0...ontracts.html/

Comment

Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

They do not have to make the decision now so they won't but my bet is when the suspension is lifted they release him.
                  If I were a betting man, I would guess that he is he's on the Mets 2022 roster to start the year. To finish the year is a very different question.

Comment

One of the reasons for waiting to release him is the possibility of another COVID-19 shortened season. The suspension is actually 162 games not the 2021 season. So if the season is another silly 60 game season, the remaining 102 game suspension will happen in 2022 thus reducing the remaining liability of the contract

Comment

• NY FANG
                      NY FANG commented
                      Editing a comment
                      also very true.

Mets Sign Sam McWilliams To Major League Contract

by Steve Adams
                    20 Nov 2020, 1:33 PM CDT

The Mets announced Friday that they’ve signed right-hander Sam McWilliams to a one-year, Major League contract. The 25-year-old has yet to make his MLB debut and spent the 2020 season in the Rays’ 60-man player pool. Click image for larger version  Name:	Sam_McWilliams.0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	12823The contract comes with a $750K salary, tweets MLB Network’s Jon Heyman, which is considerably north of the league minimum — an unusually high commitment for a minor league free agent on a Major League deal. McWilliams is represented by Brian Grieper of Paragon Sports International.

An eighth-round pick by the Phillies back in 2014, McWilliams was traded to the D-backs a year after being selected in the deal that brought righty Jeremy Hellickson to Philadelphia. Arizona then shipped him to Tampa Bay alongside southpaw Colin Poche to complete their acquisition of Steven Souza Jr. in 2018.

The 6’7″ McWilliams has just 44 innings of Triple-A work under his belt, and they didn’t go particularly well (8.18 ERA), but he fared well prior to reaching the top minor league level. In a total of 535 innings since being drafted, he owns a 3.85 ERA with 7.0 K/9, 2.6 BB/9 and 1.4 HR/9. He’ll step into one of the three vacancies the Mets had on their 40-man roster, bringing their total to 37 players.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Originally posted by Drucifer View Post
                      Mets Sign Sam McWilliams To Major League Contract

by Steve Adams
                      20 Nov 2020, 1:33 PM CDT

The Mets announced Friday that they’ve signed right-hander Sam McWilliams to a one-year, Major League contract. The 25-year-old has yet to make his MLB debut and spent the 2020 season in the Rays’ 60-man player pool. Click image for larger version Name:	Sam_McWilliams.0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.6 KB ID:	12823The contract comes with a $750K salary, tweets MLB Network’s Jon Heyman, which is considerably north of the league minimum — an unusually high commitment for a minor league free agent on a Major League deal. McWilliams is represented by Brian Grieper of Paragon Sports International.

An eighth-round pick by the Phillies back in 2014, McWilliams was traded to the D-backs a year after being selected in the deal that brought righty Jeremy Hellickson to Philadelphia. Arizona then shipped him to Tampa Bay alongside southpaw Colin Poche to complete their acquisition of Steven Souza Jr. in 2018.

The 6’7″ McWilliams has just 44 innings of Triple-A work under his belt, and they didn’t go particularly well (8.18 ERA), but he fared well prior to reaching the top minor league level. In a total of 535 innings since being drafted, he owns a 3.85 ERA with 7.0 K/9, 2.6 BB/9 and 1.4 HR/9. He’ll step into one of the three vacancies the Mets had on their 40-man roster, bringing their total to 37 players.

I am clueless as to why they signed him to a major league contract when the highest level of play was AAA and that was just a cup of coffee

Comment

Hensley Meulens Out As Mets’ Bench Coach

by Connor Byrne
                        30 Nov 2020, 4:00 PM CDT

The Mets will have a new bench coach in 2021, as the club informed Hensley Meulens that he will not return to their staff, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

It was a short stint with the Mets for Meulens, a longtime San Francisco assistant who spent just one year with his new club. Before his hiring as a bench coach last offseason, the Mets and the Red Sox interviewed Meulens for their managerial positions. The Mets ultimately chose Carlos Beltran before quickly replacing him with Luis Rojas, though, while the Red Sox went with Ron Roenicke.

While Meulens’ time on Rojas’ staff didn’t work out, it shouldn’t be too long before the 53-year-old finds another job. Meulens, after all, is a well-respected, three-time World Series-winning assistant who speaks five languages. It’s unclear whom the Mets will tap to replace him.

Drew's Sig

Comment

Working...
                        X