No announcement yet.

Jose Reyes - His Mets Days Appear to be Numbered

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome back Thor, You, Thomasam and brian are all on point. This time last season Reyes should have been DFA'd except that he was playing everyday for lack of an able body. He did turn it around in the second half for a team going nowhere and he was a 500K player.

Now he is a 2 M player with no skills and no job, he is past due. DFA and turn him loose with the remaining dollars or send him to AA/AAA, if he is willing, in hope he can come back with a viable bat. Even if it is off the bench with a start once or twice a week.

As a Met 2003-11 he was a 4 time AS, put up the numbers 1300 H, 400 XBH and 370 SB. He played hard and loved the game and the fans loved him back Jose...Jose, Jose, Jose. The one blemish was the bunt in his last AB.

I want to see him honored in Sept. next door to the field he once starred on.

A lasting memory for me was Seaver and Piazza walking across the OF toward the BP on Shea Stadiums last game. The Mets got that right, now get Reyes' exit right.

Comment

I hate it that he's worse than a shell of what he was, but the fact is, this is a cold business. Cold decisions have to be made.

I think even Jose, in his own heart (deep down), knows this.

Comment

I understand the desire to treat Jose with respect. Best SS the Mets have ever had. Only batting champ the Mets have ever had (and don't give me any nonsense about him pulling out of the last game midway. It has been done by many over the years). One of the most dynamic players in baseball in his heyday. I have had John Smoltz as an announcer twice in the past week, and he talks about how hard it was to deal with Reyes.

So they want to give Jose a proper sendoff. Cool, very cool. But how is it respectful to have this topic discussed beforehand, while leaving Jose twisting in the wind. And before anyone turns this into a Wilpons bashing (hey, I have no special feelings for the Wilpons. I would have no problems with different owners. The bashing just sidetracks from the point, the same as this aside just did.), remember that this is from "sports reporters" from "team sources" (maybe the dude that runs Metsblog?).

How is this a respectful sendoff? Hey, we don't think that you can play anymore, buy we are having a little trouble organizing the party to say "see ya later". To use the old expression (Warning: Avert your eyes if you are offended.) - Shit or get off the pot.

Comment

Just as I catch up on this thread, Reyes forgets to step on bag on neighborhood play... dude??

Comment

I find it funny...everyone including the media is trying to run the guy out of town...and yet, who scored the winning run to snap a very UUUUUGGGLLLYYY losing streak?

Comment

Originally posted by saxon View Post
              I find it funny...everyone including the media is trying to run the guy out of town...and yet, who scored the winning run to snap a very UUUUUGGGLLLYYY losing streak?
              Yes, he did score the first run as a baserunner on Frazier's HR. And the first run scored is always the winning run when you shut the other team out. But his sole contribution was to get on base. Frazier scoring on his own HR was enough.

Jose did his best to give both runs back by turning an inning ending DP into a 2 error, 2 men on base situation. That might have made the streak even UUUUUGGGLLLIIIEEERRR.

Comment

but I thought that simply getting on base is the entire key to winning baseball...

Comment

Reyes made an error, Carlos looked at strike three. Harvey upchucked in the 9th inning of game 5 and Yoenis stood around scratching his butt watching in side the park Hrs. If baseball were easy wouldn't we all be millionaires?

Comment

Yes, he contributed today on offense, and it raised his average by 10 points, so I count that already when I say a bench player who hits .149 has no business taking up a bench player role...

I 100% agree, its definitely NOT easy, which is why when a player takes on a unfamiliar role and doesn't excel, there's no shame in that, but also no place for ti...

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

If I read between the lines in what Sandy said today...he basically said that the Mets have no middle infielder options that can hit MLB pitching, and Reyes is safe based on his track record vs the other options...

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

Drew's Sig

Comment

a 26 year old at AA that suddenly can hit for power...yeah, that has hot prospect written all over it...plus on top of that, he's a 2nd baseman that only bats lefty...

next...

Comment

Working...
                                X