• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose Reyes - His Mets Days Appear to be Numbered

Mets Unlikely to Cut Jose Reyes Despite Rumblings

Reyes is hitting .141 this season

by ANDY MARTINO | Jun 4 | 11:19AM

For more than a week, folks both inside and outside the Mets organization have speculated as to whether Anthony Swarzak's return from the disabled list will cost Jose Reyes his roster spot.

But with Swarzak's activation expected Tuesday, Reyes appears safe for now.

Reyes is batting .141/.208/.197 (yes, you read that correctly), and struggling defensively at third base.

His job is certainly not secure long-term, or even in the near future, but barring a last-minute change in thinking, it does appear that he will survive this particular roster crunch.

Drew's Sig

Drew's Sig

Comment

Proper sendoff?

How about a call to the manager's office and a "Sit down, Jose, we need to talk".

Dud is hitting .140 with terrible defense. I liked Jose. 2006 or so Jose. 2018 Jose? Not so much. Time to cut the cord.

Comment

"Time to cut the cord."

Can't steal bases, so he stole the scissors.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi8 View Post
          "Time to cut the cord."

Can't steal bases, so he stole the scissors.
          Jeffy boy asked him to do that. He was afraid a fan might place them square in the middle of his back.

Comment

talking with friends... what do the Mets owe Reyes? Last I checked, he said the Money was more important than the organization. Nothing wrong with that, but proper sendoff? Dude shipped himself out...

This isn't Ichiro or Griffy who played the majority of their career in one uniform and only left for the mutual benefit in the twilight years...

Comment

umm...the mets never made him an offer, while in uniform, nor once he entered FA...

Comment

IMO, the right thing to do would be to ask him to go down to the minors and play some outfield....if he gets his hitting stroke back, or learns how to play the OF like a 4th or 5th outfielder, he eventually makes it back as a Joe McEwing type of guy...if not, he's allowed to be released from the minors to pursue something else...

as much as Jose is everyone's favorite target for blame on this pathetic team...nobody is exactly acting like Bryce Harper offensively or defensively...so there is a lot of blame to go around besides blaming who the 25th man is...

Comment

Originally posted by saxon View Post
                  umm...the mets never made him an offer, while in uniform, nor once he entered FA...
                  That's a tired excuse. The guy said he wasn't going to sign for less that 9 figures, Mets weren't in that camp, so what official offer was there to make? If you think the Mets and Jose's agent didn't discuss at length, then I got a bridge to sell ya

Comment

Roots??? BS!

Should have been DFA'd more than a year ago

Comment

He's obviously been terrible, but I see the point about a "decent sendoff". The organization gets killed all the time for just discarding their stars. He's about as far from a "star" as you can get right now but there's a generation of fans who have fond Reyes memories. I think you send him down and give him a chance to lock in with less pressure and if not then you bring him back late in the season and have a day for him.

Comment

If he would accept an assignment to Vegas. I don't know if that would happen. And, even if he DID get something back down there, where does he play? We've got Frazier for 3B, Cabrera for 2B, he ain't taking Rosario's spot, and the outfield is pretty set. For him to be a viable player, he has to play more than once or twice a week with the occasional pinch hitting appearance.

I like 2006 Jose. I don't like 2018 Jose. Cold, cruel world we live in.

Comment

Gotta be honest, I like 2006 me better than 2018 me also. I was much faster on the basepaths.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomasam View Post
                            Gotta be honest, I like 2006 me better than 2018 me also. I was much faster on the basepaths.
                            That many years ago I could set speed records running downstairs to catch the F train as it was idling at the platform. Now, I'm more worried about holding on to the railing.

Comment

The Mets need to send him and a number oftotally useless folks packing NOW.

Time to stop pretending that most of our oldie

Comment

Working...
                              X