No announcement yet.

OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to? Vol. 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, what the heck, I ordered it. I had seen other used ones going for $80 and up. The one I ordered said like new! Seller had a 100% rating on over 9K items sold

Comment

Glad this thread is active again.

OK, so what's in my car's rotation.

Gregg Allman - working my way through 6 discs in his catalog, from 1973 to 2017. Up to the 5th disc. Liked the 1973 disc. The 80's discs were so-so (as is a lot of 80's overproduced rock), but he got back to what you expect from hum in the later period stuff. Currently on "Low Country Blues", which mixes in some older style material. Got his last album up next.

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - a pair of releases from a modern big band jazz unit. Lots of horns. Listening in honor of a friend of mine who passed last week. We used to talk jazz a lot. When he was in college, Jim played clarinet in the school's jazz orchestra, as well classical stuff. While he always called classical "serious music" (I'll pass), his love was big band jazz. This is his favorite band.

Beatles - courtesy of WC, I have a new batch of early albums that I haven't listened to. Nice part is all of the tracks that are not the "hits". Enjoying them

Andra Day - current R&B/pop singer, who has a retro sound. On first listen, her sound is a little too affected for me. There are moments of nice stuff, but overall, nothing remarkable for me. Will give it a 2nd listen to tomorrow, just to see how it washes over me on a repeated listening.

Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show - Greatest Hits - I forgot just how many very good songs they have, really enjoying this.

So what are you all listening to??????

Comment

While home working on a client's books I listened to Joe Bonamassa's album "A New Day Yesterday". I found the album on the first pass to be ok, not great. Joe is a fine guitarist; I do not hear a signature sound like Clapton and Santana have but a nice sound just the same. I did find his blues vocals felt kind of forced, kind of like a guy singing the blues that never experienced them kind of thing. I haven't had time for a second pass.

Comment

That's Bonamassa's first solo album, and I agree, not his strongest. I've never found him to be more than a competent vocalist, but I really like his guitar playing. He has a nice mix of rock & blues. I'm looking forward to working my way through all his albums with Beth Hart as the vocalist. His later stuff is stronger.
          Last edited by mjjm367; 09-Oct-2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I received the Dave Mason CD in the mail today. I am listening to it while writing why I became an accountant for my sister-in-law's granddaughter. Really good album. Dave is an underrated guitarist (at least by me!)

Really pleased that the seller's idea of like new equals or exceeds mine! For an 11-year-old CD, it looks new, including pristine liner notes. I certainly will be giving this a few more passes in the upcoming days.

Comment

Back in January I bought a 2017 Subaru Legacy that has a 476 watt Harmon kardon sound system in it. I put the Dave Mason CD in and cranked it up a bit this morning on my way to work. What a great album (well the half I was able to listen too anyway!) I am not always the biggest fan of live recording because often time the sound quality is just not there. That is not the case with Dave mason Live at XM Satellite Radio. The sound is clear and crisp. $38.50 w/shipping for a used CD is pricey but I am glad I spent the money!
              Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 12-Oct-2018, 11:45 AM. Reason: Added another thought! (It's Friday my mind is slow)

Comment

I came across this on youtube. A great cover of a Roy Buchanan original. Both Roy and Gary left this planet way too early.

Comment

I am in awe of a musician's gift of being able to convey raw emotion in sound. Gary Moore is amazing.

WC, we have the studio version of this song (7:31 mins.) on the Gary Moore album "After The War".

Comment

I was able to give Dave Mason's Live at XM Satellite Radio CD over the last few days. Killer CD. He plays All Along the Watchtower on the CD and mentions before playing it that he played acoustic guitar on Jimi Hendrix's version. According to the liner notes the two of them were good friends.

Dave plays the 12 string acoustic guitar on this CD on a couple of songs, such a unique sound. He plays an amazing guitar; some of the solos on the album are awesome. I used to listen to him a lot but besides this "new" one I only have a greatest hits one. I need to hunt down the early studio albums, particularly the critically acclaimed "Alone Together"

Comment

• Listening to Gregg Allman's album Southern Blood, that he recorded while he knew he was dying soon. It is clear he is addressing that in his songs. I don't know of any other musician who recorded a "goodbye" album (although I am sure it must have happened). Powerful stuff.

Beyond that, this is the 6th of his that I've listened to in sequence, it is one of the best, along with his first, Laid Back.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post
                        Listening to Gregg Allman's album Southern Blood, that he recorded while he knew he was dying soon. It is clear he is addressing that in his songs. I don't know of any other musician who recorded a "goodbye" album (although I am sure it must have happened). Powerful stuff.

Beyond that, this is the 6th of his that I've listened to in sequence, it is one of the best, along with his first, Laid Back.
                        I agree. While listening to it the first few times I was almost brought to tears thinking about that.

Comment

• Listening to Bobby "Blue" Bland - The Definitive Collection. 26 track collection of his singles from 1954 to 1976. Real nice mix of blues, soul and R&B vocals.

Comment

Working...
                          X