OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to? Vol. 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

Good???? That is an understatement. This version is killer! The highlight of my day!
    Check the batch I sent you. I think that the Ronnie Earl stuff was in my library then. Should be 6 or 7 albums by him. That track is off the Father's Day album.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

Check the batch I sent you. I think that the Ronnie Earl stuff was in my library then. Should be 6 or 7 albums by him. That track is off the Father's Day album.
      Yup, they are there including the farther's day album. I looked at the list as I was listening to the track. I am going to rip them to my computer this weekend. Beth Hart does that same song but I like this version better.

Comment

• Buy the way, I just read that Beth Hart and Joe Bonammassa are married.

Comment

• Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post
          Buy the way, I just read that Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa are married.
          Yes, but not to each other. Only reason I know this is that the set of albums I was listening to before the Ronnie Earl batch was 8 by Hart. As I was listening, I was reading up on the artist. She has been married for about 20 years to her road manager.

Unless Bonamassa offered her top billing........

Comment

Yes, but not to each other. Only reason I know this is that the set of albums I was listening to before the Ronnie Earl batch was 8 by Hart. As I was listening, I was reading up on the artist. She has been married for about 20 years to her road manager.

Unless Bonamassa offered her top billing........
            I another bad google search. See you can't believe everything you read, especially since the advent of the internet and the self-proclaimed blog journalist.

Comment

• So....i am now listening to a recording I paid 2 bucks for of a radio broadcast from 1964. It was recorded for a radio show in Cambridge Massachusetts called Folkside. Mississippi John Hurt and Skip James playing acoustic country blues.

Comment

• While I can only listen to that era of folk blues in small doses, I find it interesting because it is a starting point and influence for many artists who I like a lot. I have one CD from Hurt in a box set, but was unfamiliar with Skip James. Turns out that he wrote and performed the original of "I'm So Glad" by Cream. Cool find, especially for the price.

Comment

• WC - I'm in the middle of listening to that Last Days at Fillmore album from you. Just about done with the first disc. Really good stuff!!!!!

Comment

• I have been listening to Zach Williams he is a Christian artist heavily influenced by Country music and Southern Rock. Here is a song that sounds like no other Christian song you have heard before. If his songs did not have lyrics you would never know that he is a Christian artist. mjjm your wife should give him a listen. His album Rescue Story is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSxO...Cw7boc&index=5

Here is his cover of the Allman Brothers Midnight Rider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST_S6ZlPrRk

Comment

• WC - that first track is absolutely killer. You are correct, my wife is the one who listens to the Christian music, but if we were riding in the car and that tune came up on her station, it would have immediately turned my head. Great stuff.

Comment

WC - that first track is absolutely killer. You are correct, my wife is the one who listens to the Christian music, but if we were riding in the car and that tune came up on her station, it would have immediately turned my head. Great stuff.
                        There are other songs on the album that would do the same thing. That one is the best but there are others. If your wife's taste is as eclectic as yours she might really like it. You could earn some points if you bought it for her!! lol

Comment

• Originally posted by dhood8083 View Post

Here is what I'm currently playing on the ipod:

2. The Dramatic Jackpot by the Dramatics.

I love this vocal group from the 70s. I love their cover of Billy Paul's "Me and Mrs. Jones". Their harmonies are nothing short of spectacular.
                          I got one of the Dramatics hits packages loaded into the computer. I have the Jackpot album waiting, but haven't loaded it yet. I liked their live version of the song, but would really like to hear a full studio version of it. The Jackpot version is longer, but also live. While listening, I came across this absolute gem by them, which I haven't heard before. The harmonies and vocal trade offs are gorgeous. And while I'm not normally a "strings" guy, the interplay of the strings with the synthesizer is beautiful. Here it is...

Went to find who had done this song originally, and it surprised the hell out of me. Originally written and performed by Hall & Oates. Here's their version. I very much prefer the Dramatics version. I rate this song a very close second to "In The Rain" as my favorite Dramatics tune. Here's the Hall & Oates version...

Comment

• I came across these on Youtube today:

Last edited by West Coast Mets Fan; 01-Oct-2020, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• A few tunes my step-son shared with me today:

Comment

• Very good stuff WC.

The first track, by Michael Kiwanuka is very good. It is head and shoulders above the only other stuff I have heard, from his first album.

The second track (Alabama Shakes) is great. I first heard it in a commercial, and was so intrigued that I had to go out and find it. Really liked it, the album (Sound & Color) should be in the batch I sent you.

The third track (Lianne La Havas) is the newfound gem of the three for me. Fantastic voice, great delivery. Her control is excellent, I love the way the intensity of her voice swells right around the 1:40 mark. Killer stuff!!!!

Thanks for the post and tell your step-son that I said it's obvious, when it comes to music, he was raised right. That line always gets a laugh out of my daughter, although lately, her response has been "Stop complimenting yourself, old man."

I 💓 Chipper Jones!!! (Although I'm sure his favorite artist is Country Joe West).
                                Last edited by mjjm367; 11-Oct-2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X