Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to? Vol. 2

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • dhood!!!! Long time no see man. Great to see you back around, especially in the music thread.

    Comment


    • Great to see you as well. Glad to be back! I got an email from Drew about the new forum. I really enjoyed Mets Paradise and was sad to see it go.

      Speaking of music, I have been a Prince fan since the early 80s. In fact, he still is my favorite artist.


      Have you heard the Small Club bootleg?

      Comment


      • I remember that you are a huge Prince fan. What I think gets lost about him is how incredible a musician he was on multiple instruments. He plays some amazing guitar. While I have about 20 of his albums, I (regrettably) don't have any of his live stuff, which is where I think he shines the best. How is the bootleg? Reviews are saying it's some of his best work.

        One song by him that I really get a kick out of is the bass/drums practice workout with him and Morris Day - "Cloreen Bacon Skin" off the Crystal Ball album. Another non-mainstream album by him I liked a lot was "The Vault: Old Friends For Sale".

        Comment


        • So...what needs to be said about "Cloreen Bacon Skin" and related tracks like "Moviestar" is that I'm pretty sure that Morris' pseudo-pimp character is actually a persona created by Prince. Morris essentially imitated it and made it his own.

          Small Club is probably the best soundboard bootleg around, and highlights Prince at probably his creative zenith, IMHO, the period between 87-89.

          You can hear the recording in its entirety here:


          Comment


          • I have never been a Prince fan. The guy is talented, its the style of music that never caught my fancy. A colleague at work showed me a video of Prince "playing" around on a piano during setup for an outdoor concert. He was playing a jazz tune, OMG he was good. The colleague also mentioned that on most Prince albums there is a track not listed on the liner notes that usually was the best track.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post
              I remember that you are a huge Prince fan. What I think gets lost about him is how incredible a musician he was on multiple instruments. He plays some amazing guitar. While I have about 20 of his albums, I (regrettably) don't have any of his live stuff, which is where I think he shines the best. How is the bootleg? Reviews are saying it's some of his best work.

              One song by him that I really get a kick out of is the bass/drums practice workout with him and Morris Day - "Cloreen Bacon Skin" off the Crystal Ball album. Another non-mainstream album by him I liked a lot was "The Vault: Old Friends For Sale".
              mjjm, you now my musical taste, which of the 20 should I give a listen to?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post
                I have never been a Prince fan. The guy is talented, its the style of music that never caught my fancy. A colleague at work showed me a video of Prince "playing" around on a piano during setup for an outdoor concert. He was playing a jazz tune, OMG he was good. The colleague also mentioned that on most Prince albums there is a track not listed on the liner notes that usually was the best track.
                Lol. It was a soundcheck. He was playing "Summertime". Prince has a minimalist piano style. Kind of like "Monk-esque". I use that made up adjective, because I am not comparing him to Monk. He just tends to be sparse when he plays piano, in a good way.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post
                  OK, final post in this burst. What's on in the house?

                  Still working my way through that huge bunch of mid 50's to very early 60's jazz that I got when a store put all the box sets on clearance. I'm sure it's a niche market at this point, but I was thrilled. Just because music is dated doesn't mean that it still isn't good stuff. Must have been about 30 or so different artists sets, ranging from 6 to 14 old releases per set. As I mentioned on the MP version of this thread, European copyright laws covered a shorter time period than US copyright laws. This has since been amended to extend the time in Europe, but it is based upon original issue date of the music. So this era stuff was free game. Most of these sets are from the Real Gone, Proper, or Avid labels, all UK labels. On a lot of them, the set is something like the first 8 albums issued by an artist. Interesting to watch the progression of an artist over time. I tend to listen to this stuff more in the evenings, often after the Mets game, when Mrs. mjjm has gone to bed. More mellow, mid-tempo stuff. I save the up tempo stuff for the car. (how I listen to so much in the car - the hour I take for lunch every day is my mid-day hour of peace. I normally drive to the extreme end of the parking lot and crank the tunes. Depending in the week, I can do this 4 day, or not at all).

                  So the current 3 sets I am working my way through. I am enjoying them all. Nothing earth shattering, but good, high quality music...

                  Al Cohn - tenor sax player
                  Buck Clayton - trumpet player
                  Victor Feldman - British vibes/piano player

                  Something I stumbled across that I wanted to share - being that these sets are UK or EU releases, there were a number of British jazz musicians of the era, who I knew of, but wasn't very familiar with. Same style & quality as the US jazz musicians, but the ones from this era were UK based, and not as well known here. Ronny Scott, Tubby Hayes, Cleo Laine & Victor Feldman come to mind.

                  When I rip a cd into my library, I like to break up these compilation discs into their original albums. I like hearing what the musician was saying on that album, as opposed to what jams onto each disc of a compilation package. I try to find the release date plus the original artwork of the album to use as the icon for it. I also like knowing who is the accompanying musicians on an album are - it's how I branch out to find new interesting stuff. I've gotten very good at this over the years, having a bunch of "go to" sites. Well, I was not getting as much info out of my normal sites as usual on some of the British jazz. Well, then I stumbled across this site, which is excellent. Anyway, it clearly is a labor of love. (Wait, being that it is a British site, would that be "labour" of love?) Anyway, I salute the person or people behind this. What an excellent example of following your passion.

                  http://henrybebop.co.uk/
                  I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to contribute, so be patient with me.

                  I'm now resigned to collecting music in multiple formats. I don't have good fortune with PCs. I need to keep presentations, reports, etc. for work, and can't clutter them with music. Hence, not everything in the collection is digital. I still have a few turntables, a tape deck, a few CD players, and an ipod. So I'm collecting in all formats.

                  Here is what I'm currently playing on the ipod:

                  1. Get Soca 2020.

                  My family is from Grenada, so I download the latest soca hits every year. Get Soca releases a yearly compilation, essentially the Soca hits for the year.

                  2. The Dramatic Jackpot by the Dramatics.

                  I love this vocal group from the 70s. I love their cover of Billy Paul's "Me and Mrs. Jones". Their harmonies are nothing short of spectacular.

                  3. Rainbow Bridge-Jimi Hendrix

                  Enough said.

                  4. Kingfish

                  If you love blues guitar, he is the next hero to carry on the tradition.

                  5. Rush-Different Stages

                  With the passing of Neil Peart, I started listening to more and more of their live recordings. This is an excellent sampling of live performances through the years.

                  6. Tears for Fears-Songs from the Big Chair.

                  I love these thought provoking gems from the 80s.

                  7. Aretha in Paris-Live

                  Anything Aretha live is mind blowing.


                  I have much more on the ipod, but these are the recordings I'm playing now most heavily.

                  Comment


                  • I found this for those of you I'm trying to convert....lol...

                    https://ultimateprince.com/prince-va...rack-by-track/

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by dhood8083 View Post
                      So...what needs to be said about "Cloreen Bacon Skin" and related tracks like "Moviestar" is that I'm pretty sure that Morris' pseudo-pimp character is actually a persona created by Prince. Morris essentially imitated it and made it his own.

                      Small Club is probably the best soundboard bootleg around, and highlights Prince at probably his creative zenith, IMHO, the period between 87-89.
                      What amazed me about the Cloreen tune was Prince's electric bass playing. Damn!!!! Is there any instrument that he isn't a master at? What stood out to me about the vocals was the instructions that he was giving to Day on the drums during the jam. Almost like he was playing the drums by remote control, without ever missing a note on the bass.

                      As for that soundboard check you posted - I'll end up with a copy of that, sooner or later.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

                        mjjm, you now my musical taste, which of the 20 should I give a listen to?
                        WC - as obviously highly impressed with Prince as I am (and apologies to dhood - lol), I'm am so-so about a lot of Prince's albums. While he has many moments of absolute inspiration, there are also many moments of blah for me. Trying to come up with an artist that has a similar effect on me, the one that comes to mind is David Bowie. (Disclaimer - I think that Prince is 100x the musician that Bowie was, both being great entertainers.) Bowie's hits packages - Changes One & Two - are amazing. I am not a fan of any other individual Bowie album. In fact, that is the only Bowie I own. The reason I have so many Prince albums is that a good friend at work is a huge Prince fan. We were talking music and he was looking for some old school soul jams, of which I have a lot. As a surprise thanks for the music I brought him, he came in the next day with his entire Prince collection and lent it to me to rip in.

                        Where I am most impressed with Prince is his "jam" stuff, which isn't in the batch I sent you. I don't have any of it. As for individual albums, I greatly favor his earlier stuff. Dhood might be a better source for specific recommendations.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by dhood8083 View Post

                          I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to contribute, so be patient with me.

                          I'm now resigned to collecting music in multiple formats. I don't have good fortune with PCs. I need to keep presentations, reports, etc. for work, and can't clutter them with music. Hence, not everything in the collection is digital. I still have a few turntables, a tape deck, a few CD players, and an ipod. So I'm collecting in all formats.

                          Here is what I'm currently playing on the ipod:

                          1. Get Soca 2020.

                          My family is from Grenada, so I download the latest soca hits every year. Get Soca releases a yearly compilation, essentially the Soca hits for the year.

                          2. The Dramatic Jackpot by the Dramatics.

                          I love this vocal group from the 70s. I love their cover of Billy Paul's "Me and Mrs. Jones". Their harmonies are nothing short of spectacular.

                          3. Rainbow Bridge-Jimi Hendrix

                          Enough said.

                          4. Kingfish

                          If you love blues guitar, he is the next hero to carry on the tradition.

                          5. Rush-Different Stages

                          With the passing of Neil Peart, I started listening to more and more of their live recordings. This is an excellent sampling of live performances through the years.

                          6. Tears for Fears-Songs from the Big Chair.

                          I love these thought provoking gems from the 80s.

                          7. Aretha in Paris-Live

                          Anything Aretha live is mind blowing.


                          I have much more on the ipod, but these are the recordings I'm playing now most heavily.
                          I hear you about multiple formats. I have over 2000 LPs. Swore I would never move to CDs. Never have been a tape guy, always had bad luck with them. And then the only way to get music was CDs, so I folded, and started collecting them as well. But, at least I had a recording to hold on to and still pore over the liner notes. Over 3000 CDs later, and storage became an issue. My wife is very patient, it's my only "vice", but I had to agree. If I was going to continue to collect and listen to music, I had to switch to digital, so that's where I'm at now for any additions. Does make it easier to swap music with a circle of friends down here. At this point, I've ripped all of the CDs in. LPs will have to wait, but eventually....

                          You said that you didn't have good luck with PCs & digital music. Here's what I do. I have a desktop computer, my preference. Nothing against laptops, I just have my whole "mission control" set up in the corner of the living room. Nothing fancy, don't need it, don't game or stream movies on the computer. Has 1TB of internal storage. Also have 3 portable hard drives. Have everything backed up on them. I can handle having a computer crash, I would freak if I lost all of my music, a life-long passion. Go so far as to always have one of the 3 drives stored at my brother's house (and I have a drive of his). Also have important docs, pics & financials on it. Damn house could burn down and I'm OK. Well, I may not be OK, but my music collection would be intact. Something to listen to while I'm recovering???

                          What you are listening to...

                          Hendrix - Rainbow Bridge - maybe my favorite Hendrix album
                          Aretha Live - agree, fantastic stuff
                          Kingfish - will have to check them out
                          Dramatics - Me & Mrs. Jones - One of my favorite songs. Didn't realize they had a version. I have it on a bunch of digital albums I had swapped for, but hadn't integrated into my collection yet, Am looking forward to it.

                          What's currently on my rotation - first by groups of albums by artist that i like to listen to chronologically -

                          Donald Byrd - about 15 albums, from straight ahead 50's jazz trumpet to early 80's soul-jazz & R&B. One of my favorite artists. Mentor of The Blackbyrds, where I first heard of him. Really helped expand my musical tastes (along with Herbie Hancock). As I listened to both earlier & later works by him, I came to appreciate the differing genres. Among the set of albums is the 1971 release Ethiopian Knight, one of my top 10 albums ever.

                          Ronnie Earl - modern blues, midway through his stuff

                          Dexter Wansel - producer for Philadelphia International Records - batch of late 70's stuff. Typical 70's R&B, but a little eclectic for the era, probably because he wasn't trying for a "sound" for an artist.

                          Charles Earland - soul/jazz organist. A batch of his. Right now, I'm in the early 80's output. The last couple have been a little disappointing, as they are more pop/R&Bish than soul-jazz. He plays a great organ, particularly the bass lines. When I lived in Manhattan, I was friendly with a lot of jazz musicians. Their take on making albums like this was "hey, we gotta pay bills too".

                          Roy Lee Johnson - R&B singer who recorded sporadically.

                          Electric Guitars - pair of albums by a rock band from Denmark who play..... Well, I'll leave you in suspense

                          Deniece Williams - sweet voice pop/gospel singer from the 70's & 80's.

                          And a few single albums by jazz vocalists that I very much like - Kurt Elling, Diane Schuur & Gregory Porter.

                          And finally, the album that I was listening to as I typed this book of a post - Coat Of Arms, by Wishbone Ash. British rock band, first album 50 years ago, in 1970. Twin lead guitars. Nice, enjoyed it quite a bit.

                          Comment


                          • Something on my recent playlist that I really liked, from Roy Lee Johnson, an R&B singer. I'm on a collection of his singles from the early to mid 60's. Tune I liked the best had a bit more of a blues feel. Here it is...

                            Comment


                            • Playing for me right now - Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters - I'll Take Care Of You from 2015, with Diane Blue on vocals. Damn, this is good!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post
                                Playing for me right now - Ronnie Earl & the Broadcasters - I'll Take Care Of You from 2015, with Diane Blue on vocals. Damn, this is good!

                                Good???? That is an understatement. This version is killer! The highlight of my day!

                                Comment

                                BACK TO TOP
                                Working...
                                X