OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to? Vol. 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post

The R&R Hall of Fame - a major entry on my bucket list. One day......
    They might have a major league baseball team named after them at this rate ...

Comment

• Originally posted by abat View Post

They might have a major league baseball team named after them at this rate ...
      The Cleveland Rockers???

Comment

• Originally posted by West Coast Mets Fan View Post

The Cleveland Rockers???
        I think the smart-money is on Spiders but the Rockers has definitely been mentioned.

Comment

• saxon
          saxon commented
          Editing a comment
          how about the Cleveland Clevelanders?

• So music is one of the things that have gotten me through this long period of being mostly in the house, with no sports. So let's get back to it...

The Grateful Dead - I just don't get it. At all. (And let me preface my comments with the fact that I have an extremely broad range of musical tastes.) Just a meandering, hey look, I have an instrument I can play a few chords on. Unchangingly, ceaselessly (eternally?). And I have no problem with a band "setting the groove". It is the basis for a lot of the &B that I listen to. Also no issue with a song stretched out for a loooong time (the Allman Brothers can stretch Whipping Post forever and I'm a very happy listener).

I've seen them once on a free outdoor concert while in college in the late 70's, all seated on the grass. Blah. My strongest memory of the concert was a guy sitting in our vicinity freaking out. It seems that he had a roach clip on his key chain. And as the roach & subsequent joints were passed around the large crowd, he realized that his house keys were also on his key chain (20/20 hindsight at its finest). So his buddy stands up and starts hollering "Hey, who's got Dave's keys". To a crowd of 100's. Never did find out if he got his keys back.

Sorry for the pointless digression there, but it is somehow appropriate for a Grateful Dead post, isn't it? A friend told me that if I wanted a better taste of the Dead, I would be better served listening to one of their live shows. And gave me a copy of a 2 disc show from 1970. Just nothing exciting about most of it. Only two decent tracks were near the end of the show, where a few guests sat in - Duane & Greg Allman and Peter Green of early Fleetwood Mac. Duane & Greg were good, as was Peter Green.

Peter Green digression - early Fleetwood Mac has little in common with the massively popular version of them. Peter Green was the guitar player who followed Clapton in the Bluesbreakers. The, when several of the Bluesbreakers broke off to form Fleetwood Mac, Green was their lead guitar. Same type of blues rock as the Yardbirds.

Final track was back to just the Dead, with an acoustic guitar and some harmony vocals. Sounded like poor man's version of CSNY.

Comment

• saxon
          saxon commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed on Grateful Dead...if you didn't do heavy drugs, bathed more than once a month, or had a job; they have no appeal...only decent song that I have heard by them was "touch of grey" or something like that, and that was a pop song that sounded more like the Moody Blues than the Grateful Dead...

Fleetwood Mac...IMO, the only decent music that they have had was written by Peter Green...once you get passed, "Green Manalishi" and "Black Magic Woman", I find that I have to change the radio as soon as "Fleetwood Mac" or Stevie Nicks comes on...Stevie Nicks' voice is like "nails on a chalkboard" to me...and how can you have a guitarist in a "rock" band named Lindsey? As Peter Weller's character says in Dexter: "what kind of fucking name is Dexter"; the same can be said about the name Lindsey for a guy...

even both of those songs, are better as cover songs: Judas Priest does a much better version of Green Manalishi, and everyone remembers Santana's version of Black Magic Woman better as well...

I never realized until a year or 2 ago, that the singer on Santana's version of Black Magic Woman was the founding keyboardist/vocalist of Journey before Steve Perry kind of forced him out of his own band
          Last edited by saxon; 25-Jul-2020, 08:15 AM.

• I too don't understand the allure Dead Heads see in the live performances. Maybe you had to be stoned to enjoy them, something I have never done. I have a few greatest hits albums and In the Dark. I am not even a big fan of their studio work. Outside of In the Dark the only song I can name is Casey Jones.

I did not know until recently that Casey Jones was in fact a real person. I coworker visited the Casey Jones Musem on her vacation.

From Wikipedia:

Jonathan Luther "Casey" Jones (March 14, 1863 – April 30, 1900) from Jackson, Tennessee, was an American railroader who was killed when his passenger train collided with a stalled freight train at Vaughan, Mississippi.

Jones was a locomotive engineer for Illinois Central, based in Memphis, Tenn, and Jackson, Miss. He was noted for his exceptionally punctual schedules, which sometimes required a degree of risk, though this was not a factor on his fatal last journey. However, there is some disagreement about the sequence of events on that night, 29–30 April 1900.

He was due to run the southbound passenger service from Memphis to Canton, Miss., departing 11:35 pm. Owing to engineer absence, he had to take over another service through the day, which may have deprived him of sleep. He eventually departed 75 minutes late, but was confident of making up the time, with the powerful ten-wheeler Engine No. 382, known as "Cannonball".

Approaching Vaughan at high speed, he was unaware that three trains were occupying the station, one of them broken down and directly on his line. Some claim that he ignored a flagman signaling to him, though this person may have been out of sight on a tight bend, or obscured by fog. All are agreed, however, that Jones managed to avert a potentially disastrous crash through his exceptional skill at slowing the engine and saving the lives of the passengers at the cost of his own. For this, he was immortalized in a traditional song, “The Ballad of Casey Jones”.

Comment

• my wife has an amazon echo, and it's interesting to tell Alexa to play different genres...recently I've told her to play Jazz Fusion, Jazz Rock and Instrumental music...

this is a song that I had never heard that she chose for me...and for whatever reason, I find the song entrancing:

Last edited by saxon; 25-Jul-2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• Nice stuff Sax - I enjoyed that a lot. Really liked the bass player.

Comment

• RIP Peter Green - original guitar player for Fleetwood Mac (back when they were a blues-rock band).

Writer & original performer of "Black Magic Woman".

Wait, does that make Santana a cover band?

Comment

• West Coast - got a digital copy of the Dave Mason Live At XM Radio album you had talked about. Nice, enjoyed it. The part I enjoyed the most was the version of "We Just Disagree". This live album is 30 years after the song first came out (2007 vs, 1977). Mason did a great job of putting the world weary feeling into the lyrics as if the relationship he was talking about was 30 years further down the road.

Also, I'm almost done working my way through the bunch of Beth Hart albums. Very surprised at what I heard, but pleasantly so. Based on nothing more than her association with Joe Bonamassa, and her looks, I wrongly assumed she would be a bluesier, rowdier version of Pat Benatar, whose early stuff I really like. (Ah, the dumbass male assumption of a woman based upon her looks. Explains my first marriage exactly.) Not what I expected, but I very, very much liked her voice and style. Also, surprised at the material. Absolutely killer selection of songs, and she made them her own. Really good stuff.

Edit: West Coast - I think you said that you had a disc copy of the Dave Mason disc. If so, please let me know who the female vocalist is on "Feelin' Alright" (Track 7) if you can. Thanks
                Last edited by mjjm367; 27-Jul-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• I find it kind of interesting that the Mets vs Red Sox game is Blacked out on mlb.tv because I am in NESN's territory (Red Sox)...however, I can watch it on my ESPN+ app (I got the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+) bundle for $12.99

Comment

• Originally posted by mjjm367 View Post
                    West Coast - got a digital copy of the Dave Mason Live At XM Radio album you had talked about. Nice, enjoyed it. The part I enjoyed the most was the version of "We Just Disagree". This live album is 30 years after the song first came out (2007 vs, 1977). Mason did a great job of putting the world weary feeling into the lyrics as if the relationship he was talking about was 30 years further down the road.

Also, I'm almost done working my way through the bunch of Beth Hart albums. Very surprised at what I heard, but pleasantly so. Based on nothing more than her association with Joe Bonamassa, and her looks, I wrongly assumed she would be a bluesier, rowdier version of Pat Benatar, whose early stuff I really like. (Ah, the dumbass male assumption of a woman based upon her looks. Explains my first marriage exactly.) Not what I expected, but I very, very much liked her voice and style. Also, surprised at the material. Absolutely killer selection of songs, and she made them her own. Really good stuff.

Edit: West Coast - I think you said that you had a disc copy of the Dave Mason disc. If so, please let me know who the female vocalist is on "Feelin' Alright" (Track 7) if you can. Thanks
                    The liner notes leave a lot to be desired. I tried to search on line for her name and could not find it. Instead I found this:

https://blog.siriusxm.com/exclusive-...eelin-alright/

Comment

• Just got a weird look due to my musical tastes.

In 2014, we visited family working overseas in Abu Dhabi. Our "tour guide"/driver was our son's best friend and longtime coworker, a Syrian man named Khalid. Great guy, him and I hit it off very well. Anyway, by my request, anytime we went anywhere he played Arabic music in the car. All different kinds. Pop music is pop, no matter what language it is in. But multiple times, something would be playing that would really catch my ear. Different, but interesting. When we went to two of the malls over there, both in Abu Dhabi & Dubai, in the stores selling CDs, all I could find was Arabic pop, which I had no interest in. Anyway, our last day, he gave me a flash drive with 4 GB of assorted music, mostly with a more traditional sound. 150 to 200 albums worth.

So, since the, little by little, I go through spurts of listening to it, about 90% of the way through. Anyway, I currently have a very upbeat album playing, mostly female vocals (in Arabic, which I don't have the slightest understanding of). Very cool, good interesting instrumentation, can easily bop along with. And I might have it turned up just a little, nothing excessive, but loud. I just got a knock on the front door, postal carrier delivering a package. With me and my NY accent answering. Got quite the look, clearly not the combination he expected.

Quick note about UAE malls - they are enormous, multiple floors. I saw a 3 story sculpture looking like a waterfall, with about 10 life-sized divers suspended at various points in front of it. One has the world's largest aquarium, and it's own inside ski slope. One of the strangest things I have ever seen was some women workers inside the ski area wearing a burka (the head to toe garment) and a puffy ski jacket.

Comment

• Killer track from 1973, R&B singer Don Covay, original version,,,

Comment

Working...
                        X